Nautilian, the forgotten MC80 cruiser

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Nautilian, the forgotten MC80 cruiser

Mark_Farlander
Rebel Alliance

Post by Mark_Farlander » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:32 am

Hello skilled pilots, starship designers, weapon experimenters, hyperdrive technicians and tactical officers.

I've noticed a fervent activity on Mon Calamari Star Cruisers by many of you during the last month.
Many features have been discussed: the shields and hull stats, the subclasses (or models) of MC80 Star Cruisers, the length of the MC80 Home One type model and their presence in games from X-Wing (1993) to X-Wing Alliance (1999).

Do you remember the second MC80 cruiser obliterated by the Death Star II during the Battle of Endor (the first was L/CRS Liberty)?
That cruiser doesn't appear in the X-Wing Alliance version of the Battle of Endor and also remained unidentified for all the Legends continuity.
It was identified for the first time as "Nautilian" in Aftermath: Life Debt, the second book in Star Wars: The Aftermath Trilogy, which belongs to the Canon universe.
As I wrote in "Your Dream Mission" topic, a full scale Battle of Endor would be one of the best upgrades ever released for X-Wing Alliance.
I was wondering what subclass of MC80 Star Cruiser the Nautilian would be if such an epic battle were released: a Home One type or an under powered "Chatnoir" type for balance reasons? I think even if the Home One subclass has shields rated at more than 30000 SBD, a Rebel Alliance fleet with 7 of them and 6 of the Liberty subclass against a massive Imperial fleet consisting in 1 Executor-class Star Dreadnought, 30-33 Imperial I and II Star Destroyers and 3 Tector-class Star Destroyers would be an already balanced battle, especially with the help of the Death Star II.

I haven't built any new missions for 7 years, so I must first refresh my memory, but I'll see what I can do to help later this year.

In the meantime I'm busy organizing a solemn ceremony to commemorate the crew of the Nautilian. They have become one with the Force.
I don't judge tactics. The Battle is the best and only Judge.

Kath Leader
Recruit

Post by Kath Leader » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:41 am

It would be interesting for sure, but I think you may break Allied trying such a undertaking. The amount of capitol and support ships required (going off the Wookiepedia article) is alot. The engine does have a limit on available slots and in my experience, you go over that, ships need to die and the other ones will hyper in. This could greatly reduce the ability to do the TIE sworm tactics and constant dog fights as after all the big ships are added, not much left for room for fighter FGs, even as a minimalist using 4 TIE FGs of 6 coming on at 50 waves, but hey if you can make it work, more power to you.

Also if I remember correctly their is a bug if you make a capitol ship FG have more then 1 ship in its element, 1 will fly off into infinity and not follow orders just shoot off in a direction till its 99km away from the battlefield. I also believe it will use it hypering away speed so even a ISD will move out of range pretty quick.

Lately my main use of Allied has been making Coop missions for me and buddy of mine to fly. Its a campaign with a on-going plot and story and I keep track of what lives and dies and rule they are no longer available. (ex: we have 2 CVTs and 1 is destroyed and one escapes, from now on we only have the one in our Battle Group). So I may be over reaching the lack of stability for large missions on SP, but I know for MP, make it to complex and the lag can really hurt you (sucks, but a fact of life).

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:40 pm

There's a hard cap of 96 active ships at any one time. Any more than that and new ships will be blocked from spawning until one is destroyed or otherwise removed (hypers out, enters a hangar, etc.)

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:50 pm

The Saxman wrote:There's a hard cap of 96 active ships at any one time. Any more than that and new ships will be blocked from spawning until one is destroyed or otherwise removed (hypers out, enters a hangar, etc.)
Hello,
This limit was removed:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11014#p148251