Weaponry questions and tests

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Weaponry questions and tests

Mark_Farlander
Rebel Alliance

Post by Mark_Farlander » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:44 am

Hello skilled pilots, starship designers, weapon experimenters, hyperdrive technicians and tactical officers.

I've noticed that many questions on weapon speed, range and effects have been asked in different sections during the last 3 years.
I really appreciate all those weaponry tests, typically on containers, to get to the answers, so I decided to open a dedicated topic.
Here is the place to post the questions and the tests on weaponry and also the conclusions.

In the "Weapon ranges?" topic many questions such as the fully charged red lasers or green lasers range have been answered (a special thank to keiranhalcyon7 for his tests), but many others still remain unresolved. For example the conversion factor between the weapon speed in Demon's BinHexEdit and the weapon speed in X-Wing Alliance (in game) is yet to be determined.
For this purpose I post here the time values and speed values measured by Kath Leader for warheads first launched from a fully stopped craft, and then from a craft flying at 100 MGLT.
Each test was done 5 times and then averaged.
Craft used for test: X-wing
Fired warheads at target from 1 KM distance from both 0 MGLT and 100 MGLT.

Warhead Type - ~Time 0 MGLT - ~Time 100 MGLT - ~Speed 0 MGLT - ~Speed 100 MGLT - Max Range (Dump Fire)
Proton Torpedo - 8.97 sec - 4.88 sec - 111 MGLT - 204 MGLT - 4.5 KM
Concussion Missile - 4.55 sec - 3.20 sec - 219 MGLT - 312 MGLT - 5.5 KM
Adv Torpedo - 7.40 sec - 3.93 sec - 135 MGLT - 254 MGLT - 6.0 KM
Adv Missile - 3.84 sec - 3.40 sec - 260 MGLT - 204 MGLT - 6.6 KM
Heavy Rocket - 21.68 sec - 6.73 sec - 46 MGLT - 148 MGLT - 4.0 KM
Space Bomb - 45.96 sec - 9.5 sec - 21 MGLT - 105 MGLT - 2.5 KM
Mag Pulse - 2.73 sec - 2.67 sec - 366 MGLT - 374 MGLT - 6.7 KM
Ion Pulse - 7.33 sec - 4.55 sec - 136 MGLT - 219 MGLT - 5.4 KM

As you can see, flying times and speed values for advanced missiles and mag pulse torpedoes are not so easy to collect.

Another question requiring weaponry tests is: how does a warhead damage shields and hull?
I explain what I mean: if you are hit by a missile when your shields are still up (maybe not at 200%), there is a chance you take hull damage without completely losing the shields. I guess all pilots have experienced this at least one time.
How is this possible? How does warhead damage work?

I thought a single topic to gather all the questions and the tests on weaponry was needed, just to avoid scattering across too many different sections.
I don't judge tactics. The Battle is the best and only Judge.