Xwing vs Tie-Fighter WebGL Multiplayer game. Someone joining me?

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Xwing vs Tie-Fighter WebGL Multiplayer game. Someone joining me?

le_fieber
Recruit

Post by le_fieber » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:53 pm

Hey Board,

I'm a big fan of the early star wars flight sim games. Actually xwing vs tie-fighter made me the nerd I am today :)

I am a web developer with front and backend experience over 15 years.

For a few weeks now I am playing around with Babylon.js. It's a JavaScript game engine which renders quit good graphics in browser with WebGL.

What I did until now is a to create a space with a flying Tie-Fighter which can shot lasers. There are also spawned x-wing and a star destroyer.

The models are free to use models from sketchfab. They're not perfect but I take what I can get :) The sounds are borrowed from X-Wing Alliance game files.

My plan is to create a multiplayer X-Wing vs Tie-Fighter Browser game with generated missions like "Rebells have to escord the frigatte" and "Imperials have to destroy the frigatte" and so on.
So basically it should be possible to open a website and start an epic xwing vs tie-fighter battle.

The "physics" and the flight model are absolutely old school and I want it to be like in the original games.

My question: Who wants to join me? I am okay in programming and I guess I can handle all that coding with client and server, but I have absolutely no experience with 3d modeling software. So I would really need help with models. Maybe creating detailled hit boxes. I also couldnt find any cockpit models. The finished game should be played in cockpit view of course.

I can provide a demo of what I did until now if you are interested.

le_fieber
Recruit

Post by le_fieber » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:49 pm

Just uploaded a quick preview: https://youtu.be/BVGgyv4FkNI
It runs at 60fps currently on my gaming notebook, but due to recording there have bin frame drops.

le_fieber
Recruit

Post by le_fieber » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:04 pm

And here you have a playable demo: http://three-js-space-sim.s3-website.eu ... onaws.com/#/

It loads over 30MB initial, so be patient. You can fly with WASD and Arrow Keys. Fire with space key.

When you are near the star destroyer you dont see the laser, because they hit it due to the too large hit box.