Old Republic Movie Trilogy

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Old Republic Movie Trilogy

Rich C
Lieutenant

Post by Rich C » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:38 am

Not sure if this is already well-known, but it seems Lucasfilm might be eyeing up The Old Republic setting as a place to go after Episode IX; a rumour posted last month framed the Game of Thrones showrunners as being involved:
Rumor: Benioff and Weiss’ First Star Wars Film Set Well Before the Skywalkers to Begin Filming this Fall (Star Wars News Net)

A contact, who has worked on every Disney Star Wars film, has shared some interesting information. According to them, the next Star Wars film could possibly begin filming this Fall, and it will be the first film in the series of films by Game of Thrones showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss. I am trying to get some confirmation on this information from other places, but as of now I only have one source, so I can only report this as a rumor, so use your pinches of cinnamon as you wish. Because of that simple fact, I can’t say I am as confident in this as I am about the Obi-Wan Kenobi streaming service series report, though the source provided proof they have worked on every Star Wars film since Disney’s acquisition of Lucasfilm and claim they are “95% confident this is accurate.” So let’s simply go over what we were told.

Our source told us they were:

“…approached about working on the next movie this Autumn. It is not the Rian Johnson trilogy, it is the Game of Thrones guys’ first movie, and it is set during the Old Republic, as Disney wants to open up the Star Wars timeline and appeal to a more ‘Game of Thrones’ style audience.”

This really seems so on-the-nose in terms of what fans have been wishing for from these guys, so I asked for clarity on what else he heard about the project:

“So the timeline is hundreds of years prior to the Skywalkers, so think almost Star Wars meets Lord of the Rings.”

I asked if there was any grasp on something tangible happening for this production yet, or if it was all strictly talk/discussion based, and according to our source, the art departments are doing pre-production work as we speak:

“Filming starts in the Fall and art departments are in design phases now as the script is being finalized. That is all I know but I am 95% confident that this is accurate.”

Again, as of now I can only report this as a rumor because I have not been able to secure a second source on this information. The source has proven to be reliable in the past, and has been involved with all Disney-owned Star Wars films to date. But, with anything, as I like to say because I hate the use of the phrase “grain of salt”, use a pinch of cinnamon with this information. I am doing everything I can to dig and find more information about this, as it would certainly be very exciting news to know the next Star Wars movie will be going into production soon, as we prepare ourselves to say farewell to the Skywalkers when Episode IX hits theaters in nine months.
In the past few days, Kennedy also seems to have confirmed that something TOR-related is being worked on.
Yes, Lucasfilm Is Developing Something for Knights of the Old Republic (Gizmodo)

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is an era and subset of Star Wars that fans have been clamoring to see in live action for a long time. And while that wait will continue, Lucasfilm head Kathleen Kennedy just confirmed that something based on the classic video game is potentially bubbling.

“You know we talk about [Knights of the Old Republic] all the time,” Kennedy told MTV at Star Wars Celebration. “Yes, we are developing something to look at. Right now I have no idea where things fall but we have to be careful that there is a cadence to Star Wars that doesn’t start to feel like too much.” Here’s the full interview, which has some other good nuggets as well.

Way to casually drop into conversation that one of the most popular games in Star Wars history, telling a wholly unique story in a totally new era of Star Wars history, may just become something in the future, Kathy! We’ve reached out to Lucasfilm to see if we could get clarification and will update when and if we hear.

It’s important to note Kennedy’s choice of words here, though. “Developing something to look at” doesn’t make it sound like it’s a project that’s in the pipeline or anything. More like someone is working on a pitch and if that pitch works, maybe it becomes something. And it doesn’t even sound like it has to be a movie or a TV show. Just “something to look at.” It could also be the Benioff and Weiss movies. We just don’t know.

And yet, any chance a story set thousands of years before the Empire could be coming out, and becoming canon, is exciting indeed.
"If you're going through hell, keep going."

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:23 pm

S.W. Celebration has been going on in Chicago last week or into this week, and there is new clips of the upcoming live series of "Mandalorian" on YouTube which this character (like Jango/Fett) takes place five years after the ROTJ. Looks pretty interesting. IG88 is in it. :-)
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:29 am

Bman wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:23 pm
S.W. Celebration has been going on in Chicago last week or into this week, and there is new clips of the upcoming live series of "Mandalorian" on YouTube which this character (like Jango/Fett) takes place five years after the ROTJ. Looks pretty interesting. IG88 is in it. :-)
That isn't IG-88, but another IG series droid designated IG-11

https://screenrant.com/mandalorian-ig88-jon-favreau/

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:06 am

Tuskin wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:29 am
Bman wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:23 pm
That isn't IG-88, but another IG series droid designated IG-11

https://screenrant.com/mandalorian-ig88-jon-favreau/
That seems utterly silly. Unless IG-88 got blown up prior, I just cannot understand why they had to make a new IG.

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:49 pm

Jaeven wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:06 am
That seems utterly silly. Unless IG-88 got blown up prior, I just cannot understand why they had to make a new IG.
Because they wanted to use a new character? Not sure how it's silly to want your own thing.

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:54 pm

Tuskin wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:49 pm
Jaeven wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:06 am
Because they wanted to use a new character? Not sure how it's silly to want your own thing.
"You know what we should do? We should reuse this character that showed up before, make him look exactly the same way, use the same weapons and fight the same as before, but instead it'll actually be an entire new character, because I don't like the numbers in IG-88, so we'll make it IG-11, because reasons."

Just to be clear here, I'm not ranting at you, but at this absurd decision. It's like someone making an Old Republic trilogy, copying HK-47 in every single way and then saying, it's actually HK-22. How would that make sense?

Rich C
Lieutenant

Post by Rich C » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:00 pm

IG-88 has always been part of a series, though: IG-Series (Wookieepedia)

And then so was HK-47, lol: HK-Series (Wookieepedia)

Not really that bad, IMO. That said, I do hope they have the good sense to make it into its own all-new thing if they go down the TOR trilogy path, though, rather than trying to ape the old stuff.
"If you're going through hell, keep going."

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:30 pm

Rich C wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:00 pm
IG-88 has always been part of a series, though: IG-Series (Wookieepedia)

And then so was HK-47, lol: HK-Series (Wookieepedia)

Not really that bad, IMO. That said, I do hope they have the good sense to make it into its own all-new thing if they go down the TOR trilogy path, though, rather than trying to ape the old stuff.
Yes, they are part of a series. But in both cases, the individual model numbers are different models. HK-50 looks like HK-47 to a degree, but they're not the same. Same with the IG series.

In this case they literally copied everything about IG-88, but named it IG-11, which is just bizarre.

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:25 am

IG-11 in Mandalorian isn't identical to IG-88, there are some differences in the design.
Also Taika Waititi voices IG-11.

Also there was already an IG-86 in Clone Wars
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/IG-86_sentinel_droid