Game crashes when loading after 1.6 update?

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Game crashes when loading after 1.6 update?

72Steve72
Recruit

Post by 72Steve72 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:35 am

Uninstalled and reinstalled update. Anyone else have this problem?

Can't play any missions, standard or custom.

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:06 am

Have you updated your hooks?

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:16 am

I'm wondering what's with all the new users reporting crashes. I've done several clean (and non clean) installs and cannot replicate the issues. I'm wondering if there's something that's affecting specific system configurations/stats.

Also Steve, we need more information to help diagnose your potential problem such as:

System specs, IE;

CPU
RAM
GPU
OS
HD
Version of XWA installed
Direct Draw.dll version
Whether you are using any of the current "experimental" graphics overhauls.
Any crash dumps or error messages available.
Specific missions that crash
Hooks being up to date: The hooks need to be updated manually after you install any of the latest update(s) as they tend to come out periodically between craft installer updates. Also as a general rule the most recent individual craft installer has the most recent hooks.
If something changes due to addition of new features, bug fixes, code refinements, ect and you do not have the most recent hooks, or I presume you install them in the wrong order (if this is possible) by overwriting newer hooks with old versions, then you will likely have random crashes, or crashes that appear random by not having the correct hook versions installed and winding up with a conflict.

Also, it'd be helpful if you post all software related issues in the soft/hardware issues forum.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:27 am

Driftwood wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:16 am
Hooks being up to date: The hooks need to be updated manually after you install any of the latest update(s) as they tend to come out periodically between craft installer updates. Also as a general rule the most recent individual craft installer has the most recent hooks.
If something changes due to addition of new features, bug fixes, code refinements, ect and you do not have the most recent hooks, or I presume you install them in the wrong order (if this is possible) by overwriting newer hooks with old versions, then you will likely have random crashes, or crashes that appear random by not having the correct hook versions installed and winding up with a conflict.
With the Craft installers even if you install the craft in the wrong order, the Hooks will only be overwritten if the Hook is Newer than what is already installed, obviously you don't read the readme files either!
Taken from the Sensor Array Readme
Included in the installer are all the latest Hooks by Jérémy Ansel (JérémyaFr) as of August 15, 2019.
Please note: The Hook files are only overwritten if the existing file is older than the new file, otherwise installation of the Hook is skipped.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:53 pm

So it's reasonable to presume I dont read the readme simply because I do not recall a particular technical detail from any number of updates I haven't installed recently?

K, thx.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:52 pm

Yes!

Your welcome. :)
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station