This is a weird little world

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

This is a weird little world

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:21 pm

Around 2009 or so a few friends and I got together, did some graphics stuff, and got published in a book called "GPU Pro 3". We all got complimentary copies of that book and a check for about $5 USD each or so. It was fun. Since then, I've moved to several places and I always took the book with me; but never really bothered reading it.

Fast-forward ten years into the future to about 2-3 months ago, when I was trying to implement SSDO for XWA. I was looking online for papers with a technical description (ie. formulas); but the sources are frustratingly scarce and I kept finding semi-cryptic phrases like "The clamped difference of the two dot products" which kind of helps; but there's also a number of ways phrases like that can be interpreted. I needed formulas, not descriptions. So, I got tired and decided I was going to buy whatever paper/book/subscription was necessary to get to the bottom of this and I started paying attention to the sources in the references section. Most of them pointed to two sources and one of the sources was a book called "GPU Pro 3".

Alright, I decided I was going to buy that book. Should be useful since it should contain a bunch of additional articles, so I took out my credit card and...

... then something went click in my head... "Waitaminute... 'GPU Pro 3'? That book rings a bell... Isn't that the book where we published a few years ago?" So I got up, went to the living room and sure enough, there it was:

GPU-Pro-3.jpg

I quickly browsed through the book to the interesting bits, because I was sure there should be some formulas here... and this is what I found:

GPU-Pro-3-page.jpg

Well... crap. At least I didn't buy the book for that article.

BTW: I still haven't implemented that bit :P
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:58 pm

That wasn't by any chance the part you and your friends had worked out back then, was it? :D
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:20 am

General_Trageton wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:58 pm
That wasn't by any chance the part you and your friends had worked out back then, was it? :D
LOL no; but that would've been hilarious!