Fan-made Extra Skirmish missions XWA

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Fan-made Extra Skirmish missions XWA

Bob_Sinclar
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Bob_Sinclar » Tue May 05, 2020 9:25 am

Hi Guys,

I tried on Google, I also tried using "Skirmish" as search word on the forum, I checked in the FAQ but I do not see a place where I could download extra skirmish missions for XWA(U).

I know the game editor allows to create our own missions but maybe some fans have released their production openly.
Maybe a few fans have created skirmish missions taking advantage of XWAU vessels changes (e.g. destroying a star destroyer is different in XWAU than in the original XWA due to aircraft statistic changes / there is no criticism from me, XWAU has made some changes compared to the original game, sometimes missions seem harder sometimes they seem easier.).

When I speak about changes, I am referring to this:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12288#p160598

By the way is there a change in sounds ? I remember the specific sound of AI Tie fighters engine was louder in the original game (only when a Tie was close to my ship), has XWAU changed this ? Maybe there is no change at all but I remember this sound was always louder than any other sound in game.

Thx for providing me a link of skirmsih extra missions if this exists.

Will T
Galactic Empire

Post by Will T » Tue May 05, 2020 9:59 am

Bob_Sinclar wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 9:25 am
Hi Guys,

I tried on Google, I also tried using "Skirmish" as search word on the forum, I checked in the FAQ but I do not see a place where I could download extra skirmish missions for XWA(U).

I know the game editor allows to create our own missions but maybe some fans have released their production openly.
Okay, are you talking about Skirmish missions in the combat simulator here, or actual custom missions made by the community with full objectives and scripting etc.?

Because I doubt anyone's going to bother sharing Skirmish missions, there's very little complexity to them, and anything one person does can be recreated pretty easily with the in game skirmish editor.

If you're talking about added missions, though, then yeah there's a few floating around.

The most recent - and therefore making use of the most new features - would be DTM's Unicorn Squadron campaign available on his site. I'm too lazy to link right now but it should be an easy google.

Bob_Sinclar wrote:
Maybe a few fans have created skirmish missions taking advantage of XWAU vessels changes (e.g. destroying a star destroyer is different in XWAU than in the original XWA due to aircraft statistic changes / there is no criticism from me, XWAU has made some changes compared to the original game, sometimes missions seem harder sometimes they seem easier.).

There aren't many deliberate stat changes.

The Star Destroyer should, in theory, play exactly the same as it does in Vanilla. It has the same stats, same number of guns etc.

The thread you're linking to contains two of the very few examples of an accidental gameplay change. DS deliberately added a couple of extra turrets to the CTRNS, and DTM added a few more hardpoints to the Strike Cruiser based on it's 'real' stats in lore, but neither of those changes were intended to have an impact on gameplay and both have since been reverted for mission balance.

If there's another example of a mission where you feel the balance has changed or a ship isn't behaving the way it used to, then I would flag it for attention. It probably wasn't an intended change to the mission.
Bob_Sinclar wrote:
By the way is there a change in sounds ? I remember the specific sound of AI Tie fighters engine was louder in the original game (only when a Tie was close to my ship), has XWAU changed this ? Maybe there is no change at all but I remember this sound was always louder than any other sound in game.
I'll let someone else answer this as I'm not sure what, if anything, has been changed here.

I didd feel like the engine noise in the cockpit had been reduced while testing TIEs yesterday, but honestly that could well just be my settings at the moment.
Formerly known as The 95 Headhunter

Bob_Sinclar
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Bob_Sinclar » Tue May 05, 2020 10:13 am

Hi Will T,

Thx for your asnwers.
I meant skirmish missions (because I found out a few free files ten years ago), but I am also open for extra missions (especially one with the Star Wars trenches)

I have not found DTM's website so no Unicorn Squadron campaign.
Those are the only sites I found so far but no missions:
https://darksaber.xwaupgrade.com/craftpackucp.html
https://www.vince-t.com/x-wing-alliance/

Thx for your help

Bob_Sinclar
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Bob_Sinclar » Tue May 05, 2020 12:06 pm

Hello,

I wound out what I wanted but I have a few questions.
The Death Star:
https://www.freewebs.com/redleaderxwa/downloads.htm

How do extra missions appear in game ?

I love XWAE since user has just to click on a exe file, no PHD in science required...

For this extra mission I need:
MxvTED: https://darksaber.xwaupgrade.com/tutmxvted.html
- First, place the OPT files in your FLIGHTMODELS Directory.

- Open up MXvTED, go to File - Open Ship. Select the desired .shp
file you want to install. Repeat for the others. Make sure all
the information is correct, as some things may get changed. I
Had this problem. For the Death Star opt, surface, trench and
exhaust port opts, make sure of the following:

Under Statistics:
Enabled - Check Box
Shiptype: Installation (Station) [So when hit by warheads it doesn't spin]
Target Type: 67

Under Descriptions:
Known - Check Box
Spec. No.: Your desired slot.

Make sure your OPT file name in MXvTED under the OPT tab matches
the OPT file name in your FLIGHTMODELS Folder, or your XWA game will crash!

Open up MXvTED and under the OPT tab, make sure of the following:

Death Star = DeathStar.opt
Death Star Surface = dssurface1.opt
Death Star Trench = deathstartrench.opt
Exhaust Port = Exhaustport.opt
I think I did what was required thx to the tutorial but...

Allied: http://www.troyed.com/x-wing/DLAlliED.html
- Open up Allied. You will need to assign your Death Star OPT,
Surface, Trench and Exhaust Port OPTs to the correct flight groups.
The flight groups to assign these OPTs to are listed below, by mission.

1b8m1w.tie (Mission 1 - Deflection Towers)

"Death Star" Needs to be the Death Star opt.

All flight groups named "Death Star Surface" Need to be the DS Surface opt.

1b8m2w.tie (Mission 2 - Enemy TIEs)

All flight groups named "Death Star Surface" Need to be the DS Surface opt.

"Black 1" Needs to be the TIE Advanced x1 opt.

1b8m3w.tie (Mission 3 - Death Star Trench Run)

All flight groups named "Death Star Trench" Need to be the DS Trench opt.

"Death Star Surface" Needs to be the DS Surface opt.

"Exhaust Port" Needs to be the Exhaust Port opt.

"Black 1" Needs to be the TIE Advanced x1 opt.

"Death Star" Needs to be the Death Star opt.
And how do we do that ? I do not see any assignment stuff in Allied.

In short:
a) XWAU is perfect because installation is accessible to beginners/ Same thing when you need to add skirmish missions (far simple than extra missions as I can see...)
b) Has someone managed to install those extra missions ? Is the completion of the Tour of Duty mandatory in order to have the ability to play extra missions ?
c) How extra missions are supposed to appear in game ?
d) Are there any other websites with extra missions (easier to install than this one) ?

Thx for your help

Bob_Sinclar
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Bob_Sinclar » Tue May 05, 2020 1:54 pm

FYI:
http://xvtedicion.es/ingles/index.htm

There you find a lot of files, if you select Nawara Ven's Sixth group of Skirmishes, you have immediately 125 various skirmish missions available...

Sad that the Death Star Battle mission (not skirmish) is so complex to install...

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Tue May 05, 2020 2:38 pm

Bob_Sinclar wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 1:54 pm
FYI:
http://xvtedicion.es/ingles/index.htm
There you find a lot of files, if you select Nawara Ven's Sixth group of Skirmishes, you have immediately 125 various skirmish missions available...
Sad that the Death Star Battle mission (not skirmish) is so complex to install...
DTM has a lot of cool stuff on his site included new ships, missions and more.
http://www.mtdindustries.com/xwa/

As for Skirmishes there have been a lot released over the years. Some maybe still online.
I still have some, wasn't sure they are popular but I will work to release them online in the future.

You can create your own with SkirmED beta 1.1
https://darksaber.xwaupgrade.com/filemissed.html

As for the Death Star I wouldn't worry too much about that right now. As you said complex. Start small and work up :)
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Wed May 06, 2020 2:00 am

I still have the multi-region skirmish file floating around somewhere. However, with Justagai's multiplayer coop/expanded features loaded in the most recent DSUCP update skirmish missions are entirely obsolete as you can access full AlliEd functionality to make missions and then play them in the skirmish/multiplayer section of the game.

Griffin
Lieutenant JG

Post by Griffin » Fri May 08, 2020 8:24 pm

Bob_Sinclar wrote:
Hi Guys,

Thx for providing me a link of skirmsih extra missions if this exists.
Do you mean something like this? https://swcrusade.com/combat.htm

True, you need to install the swcrusade craft pack to play them instead of the DSUCP. Maybe a project for me this month to upgrade those missions...