Anyone have any good replacement sound files?

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Anyone have any good replacement sound files?

evilmark
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by evilmark » Thu May 07, 2020 4:09 pm

I've been messing around with customizing weapon sounds for the past few days, I found a site that had all the sound effects from a lot of games and the most applicable sounds I was able to identify were a Droid Starfighter laser sound from Star Wars: Jedi Starfighter, a single burst Falcon turret sound from Rogue Leader, and some Episode 7 Falcon turret sounds from LEGO The Force Awakens. Since adding new sounds doesn't seem to work I currently have:

1) Droid SF laser sound saved as RebelLaserTurbo (never liked the normal RebelLaserTurbo sound anyway, I have rebel fighters set to use RebelLaser instead)
2) single shot Falcon turret sound saved as FalconLaser
3) one of the EP7 Falcon turret sounds saved as FalconLaserTurbo (using it for clone trooper fighters, I have all the corellian transports set to use FalconLaser instead)
4) an alternate EP7 Falcon turret sound saved as both IonCannon and IonCannonTurbo (the default sound was drowning out everything else cause AI fighters equipped with ion cannons insist on using them constantly during dogfights)

If it's allowed I'll attach the sounds I've been using, but since I didn't actually create the ships (I do not have the knowledge nor the talent to do such things) I won't upload the [model]Sounds.txt or [model].ini files I've edited (the readme for the engine sound hook tells you everything you need to know if you want to tinker with it). If you do decide to tinker with it keep in mind that by default capital ships use EmpireLaserTurbo and RebelLaserTurbo for point defense lasers, so if you want to replace those sounds but want the capital ships to use something else you'll need to edit those .ini and Sound.txt files as well.

Anyway, as the title says does anyone else have replacement sounds they use?

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Thu May 07, 2020 4:31 pm

Can you link to the site you found please? I can't seem to find decent sounds from the new films, R1, Solo, 7-9 etc.
I've been trying to rebuild my Sound Upgrades and customise my own game.

The sounds I've had until now have all been out there in the past I believe I'll be hosting stuff again online in the future.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

evilmark
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by evilmark » Thu May 07, 2020 5:19 pm

Ace Antilles wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 4:31 pm
Can you link to the site you found please?
https://www.sounds-resource.com/

Unfortunately the only Disney era game with sounds posted there is LEGO The Force Awakens on PC, it has some stuff but not everything (was hoping to find sounds from one of the EA Battlefront games). Some of the games also don't have very descriptive names for the sound effects (I think Rogue Leader and Battle for Naboo were two of those), but others do.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Thu May 07, 2020 6:06 pm

evilmark wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 5:19 pm
Ace Antilles wrote:

Unfortunately the only Disney era game with sounds posted there is LEGO The Force Awakens on PC, it has some stuff but not everything (was hoping to find sounds from one of the EA Battlefront games). Some of the games also don't have very descriptive names for the sound effects (I think Rogue Leader and Battle for Naboo were two of those), but others do.
That's a great site thanks. Things used to be simpler. Loads of Sound Boards online and stuff but there doesn't seem to be stuff like that now. Too much legal action.
if you want to share the few you found that's cool. What sounds are you trying to find exactly?

I have the sounds from Shadows of the Empire but honestly they are all pretty much standard XWA like. Except ones from Leebo which are voice.
Rogue Squadron whatever is there is compressed into data. The entire game is only 70mb! No individual files.
Star Wars Episode I Racer is mostly engine noises from Podracers or ambience.
I too would like some files from Battlefront. There are some graphical mods online so there maybe some way to extract files?

evilmark
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by evilmark » Thu May 07, 2020 6:35 pm

Ace Antilles wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 6:06 pm
evilmark wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 5:19 pm
Ace Antilles wrote:

That's a great site thanks. Things used to be simpler. Loads of Sound Boards online and stuff but there doesn't seem to be stuff like that now. Too much legal action.
if you want to share the few you found that's cool. What sounds are you trying to find exactly?

I have the sounds from Shadows of the Empire but honestly they are all pretty much standard XWA like. Except ones from Leebo which are voice.
Rogue Squadron whatever is there is compressed into data. The entire game is only 70mb! No individual files.
Star Wars Episode I Racer is mostly engine noises from Podracers or ambience.
I too would like some files from Battlefront. There are some graphical mods online so there maybe some way to extract files?
I was mostly trying to find weapon sounds for droid and clone fighters, which I've found options I'm happy with (the sound I'm using for the clones isn't canon for them, but does help distinguish them from imperials), but since it doesn't seem like a topic that comes up much I was curious if anyone else had modified their sounds. I would like to give the firespray the Slave1 laser sound from AOTC but the only weapon sound I'd still be willing to replace is EmpireLaserTurbo and for some reason I can't get ships that use rebel lasers to use imperial weapon sounds.

Here's the sounds I found that seemed most useful (renamed to be clearly labeled).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Thu May 07, 2020 7:21 pm

Can't you assign new sounds to ships now?
I know you can add flyby noise as Slave 1 has it and you can change who uses what type of sounds. I'm still catching up.

I had 3 sound upgrades on my old site. Some have been put into XWAU but nothing based on anything other than the Original Trilogy.
I'm all up for modding sounds to give things more fun. I'll take a look at yours and that site more sometime :)

evilmark
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by evilmark » Thu May 07, 2020 7:55 pm

Ace Antilles wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 7:21 pm
Can't you assign new sounds to ships now?
From what I can tell the hook for weapon sounds only supports TieFighter, Empire, EmpireTurbo, Falcon, FalconTurbo, Rebel, and RebelTurbo as options for weapon sounds as nothing else works, and when I set a "red laser" ship to use empire sounds it just uses the default sounds for red lasers, same thing if I set a "green laser" ship to use rebel laser sounds. That's still plenty to accomplish what I initially wanted to do, anything else is simply a "would be nice to have" kinda thing.

Since you mentioned it engine sounds seem to be similarly limited to preset options, but I haven't tinkered with those at all.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Fri May 08, 2020 10:42 pm

Here's some sounds for a Republic Dropship if it helps.
That site is a gold mine! I'll be forever comparing noises lol A lot are the same or very slightly different.
Dropship.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

evilmark
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by evilmark » Sun May 10, 2020 4:40 am

Out of curiosity I decided to look into isolating dialogue from RotJ for the Endor missions, it's the first time I've attempted any kind of audio editing but after a LOT of trial and error in Audacity I got something decent for the first mission. Unfortunately a handful of clips do still have some slightly detectable music in the background, but most of it is gone. I recorded a playthrough in OBS as a demonstration, unfortunately the sound effects make some of them hard to hear. Tomorrow I'll work on cutting up clips for the other three missions.

https://youtu.be/1nMtcINKwrA

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sun May 10, 2020 12:34 pm

I'll take a look. I still have my original Endor files and have started working on new versions from HD.
Removing the background is the hardest so any tips are welcome.
What are you recording the sounds from?

evilmark
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by evilmark » Sun May 10, 2020 1:25 pm

Ace Antilles wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 12:34 pm
What are you recording the sounds from?
A rip of the first Blue-Ray release of the movie with 5.1 audio. I seemed to get the best results by using the Left and Right audio track as a noise profile for running the noise reduction effect on the center audio track where the dialogue is.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sun May 10, 2020 1:59 pm

It's pretty good but a few sounded almost like background noise on them. Clicking or almost coughing?
I'll drop you a pm later or this post will go way off track :)

evilmark
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by evilmark » Sun May 10, 2020 2:14 pm

Ace Antilles wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 1:59 pm
It's pretty good but a few sounded almost like background noise on them. Clicking or almost coughing?
I think I know what you're talking about, for example after Lando says "Break off the attack" you can hear him flip some switches in the Falcon cockpit before saying "the shield is still up", I'll take another look at them. I'm tempted to try asking for tips on originaltrilogy.com, that site is all about fan edits of the movies so I'm sure someone over there would have experience with this kind of thing.

AstYanax
Recruit

Post by AstYanax » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:52 am

Hi guys! I'm sorry to jump in at random like this! I'm new here and such, and in awe of your collective work.

As a sound designer, I was wondering how accessible the sound system and the assets are in general...it would be really cool to get a more modernistic mix going for this someday to match the updated visuals!

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:28 am

AstYanax wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:52 am
Hi guys! I'm sorry to jump in at random like this! I'm new here and such, and in awe of your collective work.

As a sound designer, I was wondering how accessible the sound system and the assets are in general...it would be really cool to get a more modernistic mix going for this someday to match the updated visuals!
Well the SFX are wav files and are all there in game for easy access.
I'm putting the finishing touches to a new sound upgrade with over 150 alternate sounds. Plus I'll have older sets available. More info will be in my forum section when it's ready.

As for music it can be accessed with the right tools too but I think it's a little more complicated to perfect.