fading piloting skills because aging...

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

fading piloting skills because aging...

capitanguinea
Galactic Empire

Post by capitanguinea » Tue May 12, 2020 6:50 am

well... now it is time to admit it: I am not the youngster I was when I started piloting X-Wings (1992) and TIEs (1995). I noticed: fatigue come faster, lesser endurance... situational awareness is shrinking year by year... I noticed in the books of X-Wing series how Wedge Antilles started to feel this way around 30s... I am 42 now, and I feel myself positively on decline.

Yesterday I fought several tournaments and missions angainst some young pals of mine I have introduced to XWA and I started to have some difficulty to vape them all with my usual regularity, and not only because they are improving. I noticed that this is more true in the upgraded version of XWA. The impressive graphic stressed more the eyesight - on X-Wing vs Tie Fighter I was able to fight all 4 of them for about an hour without any stress. On XWA Upgrade I have to make a pause after 30 minutes.

But is not only the eyesight: fatigue! Fighting the force feedback is now very hard. And because I use pedals too you can imagine how this can be hard to for the body.

To the converse, experience pay: now I have more skill formulating engaging than ever - when we decide to play a scenario, giving us some forces (starships and starfighters) to multiplay I am now far more efficient as a Group Commander than 10 years ago. So perhaps I have to accept a transfer to "Naval Command" XD.

And YOU? How are going your aging skills as a pilot? Are you able to fight a furball as the youngsters you were so many years ago?

Phoenix Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Phoenix Leader » Tue May 12, 2020 2:25 pm

Not older. Wiser. Use the Force!