Are differently powered lasers possible?

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Are differently powered lasers possible?

Sevain
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Sevain » Tue May 19, 2020 3:24 pm

Like some other people I had some trouble with container transports in B1M1 (convoy attack). I managed to beat the mission by attacking the transports together with my wingmen, since they don't have the hit points to stand up to fire form multiple fighters for long. On one hand the transport looks better when it has the full set of turrets. On the other hand it becomes stronger than some warships, which is not ideal for a cargo vessel. Similarly the family missions seem like a breeze, which is probably because the proper quad-lasers of the upgraded craft have greater firepower than the vanilla I can't believe it is not quad-lasers. Here again aesthetics clash with game play.

So that got me thinking: would it be possible to give different ships differently powered lasers? That way you could get both the correct rate of fire and close to the original game balance. Some things, like missile interception, might still be "too easy" with the high-volume weapons.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Tue May 19, 2020 3:36 pm

There are settings people can alter so that the turrets on the Transports won't fire if you are low on laser energy.
By default from LucasArts the turrets never run out of power. So you can fly around and just auto target everything and never even have your front cannon on charge.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Sevain
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Sevain » Tue May 19, 2020 6:23 pm

Ace Antilles wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 3:36 pm
There are settings people can alter so that the turrets on the Transports won't fire if you are low on laser energy.
By default from LucasArts the turrets never run out of power. So you can fly around and just auto target everything and never even have your front cannon on charge.
Making the cannons consume laser charge would be interesting too. It always seemed weird that you could just drain the cannon recharge and keep blasting. But I meant having lasers of fighter A deal X damage per hit and lasers of fighter B deal Y damage per hit.