X52 hotas

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

X52 hotas

madadh7267
Cadet 4th Class

Post by madadh7267 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:25 am

anyone have this controller throttle? does it work good with xwa is there anything special you have to do to get it set up?

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:41 am

Hi there,

I have the x52 Pro, I don't think they differ that much except for looks and I really do like it. (Minus the issues I recently had to get the programmable buttons working in Windows 10)
Other than that it was pretty much just plug&play. All you need to make sure is that you set it as the default device for older games. To do this you first have to enter the
Set up USB game controllers
option in Windows (just type it into the search and it should pop up) And the click on Advanced and make sure the x52 is selected here. Otherwise XWA will not recognize it.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

madadh7267
Cadet 4th Class

Post by madadh7267 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:24 am

yeah tested it so far with xwa omgs some difference now im wondering on the tabs if i could program them with like recharge rates hmms

Forceflow

Post by Forceflow » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:35 am

If you use the interactive mode switch you can easily set pretty much all functions on the stick. This is the setup I made yesterday, though I haven't tried it fully in-game yet since I only got the programmable buttons to work yesterday evening:

Code: Select all

Mode 1			Mode 1 + Clutch
Trigger		= Fire Weapon
Second Trigger
Launch		= Switch Weapon
Fire A		= Link Weapons 		/ Weapon Convergence
Fire B		= My Attacker
Fire C		= Target in Sights
Pinkie		= Closest Enemy
Fire D		= Countermeasure	/ next Buoy
Fire E		= Confirm
Tab 1 UP	= Store Target 1	/ Pick Up
Tab 1 DN	= Recall Target 1	/ Drop
Tab 2 UP	= Store Target 2 	/ Dock
Tab 2 DN	= Recall Target 2 	/ Resupply
Tab 3 UP	= Store Target 3
Tab 3 DN	= Recall Target 3
POV 1
UP		= Next component 	/ Energy Preset 1
RIGHT		= Shield Recharge 	/ Transfer Energy into Shields
DOWN		= Previous Component 	/ Energy Preset 2
LEFT		= Weapons Recharge 	/ Transfer Energy into Weapons
POV 2
UP		= Nearest Warhead	/ Nearest Objective
RIGHT		= Next Enemy		/ Next Target
DOWN		= Targets Attacker	/ Newest Ship
LEFT		= Previous Enemy	/ Previous Target
Throttle Hat (Cannot use double commands apparently)
UP		= Cycle Turrets
RIGHT		= Attack Target (Wingmen command)
DOWN		= Turret Control (Fire at target or defensive mode)
LEFT		= Attack Attacker (Wingmen command)
I use the 'clutch' button to activate the second level. (Thumb button on the throttle)

madadh7267
Cadet 4th Class

Post by madadh7267 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:35 pm

yeah see that is way over my experience ROFL i have the known pro version but i wanna set up like the toggle switches F9 weapons up and down F10 shields etc and honestly have no idea where to start

Forceflow

Post by Forceflow » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:42 pm

madadh7267 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:35 pm
yeah see that is way over my experience ROFL i have the known pro version but i wanna set up like the toggle switches F9 weapons up and down F10 shields etc and honestly have no idea where to start
Well you need to use the programming software that came with your x52. With that you can easily map any key to any joystick button you want. The newest drivers are from Logitech, but it can be a bit of trouble to get them to run.

madadh7267
Cadet 4th Class

Post by madadh7267 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:52 pm

so like where it says toggle 1? when you click on it you put in F9?

Forceflow

Post by Forceflow » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:12 pm

madadh7267 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:52 pm
so like where it says toggle 1? when you click on it you put in F9?
Yeah, pretty much. The Software is a bit fickle to use at times. One good thing of it is that you can simply press the button you want to program and the software should automatically jump to it.

madadh7267
Cadet 4th Class

Post by madadh7267 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:20 pm

nvm starting to get it also kinda using your template there if you don't mind lol just also trying to remember all the commands

Forceflow

Post by Forceflow » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:47 pm

madadh7267 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:20 pm
nvm starting to get it also kinda using your template there if you don't mind lol just also trying to remember all the commands
Sure no problem, you can use my template if you want. Just be aware that it is using the Germany keyboard layout, so a few might be different.

The file needs to go here:
C:\Users\Public\Documents\Logitech\X52 Professional (If you're using the Logitech drivers)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Det. Bullock
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Det. Bullock » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:47 pm

Forceflow wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:41 am
Hi there,

I have the x52 Pro, I don't think they differ that much except for looks and I really do like it. (Minus the issues I recently had to get the programmable buttons working in Windows 10)
The Pro version is just slightly sturdier, it was made after a lot of people complained the original x52 came already broken out of the bot or broke after a week or so of use.

Forceflow

Post by Forceflow » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:18 pm

Det. Bullock wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:47 pm
Forceflow wrote:
Hi there,

The Pro version is just slightly sturdier, it was made after a lot of people complained the original x52 came already broken out of the bot or broke after a week or so of use.
Considering the one I have now was the third one I don't think they really made them that much sturdier. The HUD on the throttle also has some more potential function, none of which work in any of the games I play. For me it really was mostly optics, I really don't like the look of the standard x52. I much prefer the dark look of the Pro. I did do the magnet mod for it though.

Det. Bullock
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Det. Bullock » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:33 pm

Forceflow wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:18 pm
Det. Bullock wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:47 pm
Forceflow wrote:
Hi there,

Considering the one I have now was the third one I don't think they really made them that much sturdier. The HUD on the throttle also has some more potential function, none of which work in any of the games I play. For me it really was mostly optics, I really don't like the look of the standard x52. I much prefer the dark look of the Pro. I did do the magnet mod for it though.
I only have vague memories from when I researched joysticks a few years ago but apparently they had to reinforce some internals that broke a bit too easily on the plain X52, stuff like the shaft breaking or somesuch.
I am aware that even then it wasn't that much of an improvement, Saitek had enough of a reputation that I went with CH Products because I really didn't like the Thrustmaster affordable options back in 2015.
I remember reviews that were made by people that had to send back their X52, x52pro and Rhino HOTAS systems multiple times before getting a reviewable sample. :irre:

madadh7267
Cadet 4th Class

Post by madadh7267 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:36 am

now do i put the pr0 file into the xwa directory?

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:25 am

I have an X52 pro for some 10 years, still going strong for the most part, bottom trigger is a bit screwed now and I had to put in a tiny bit of oil underneath the main stick as it was starting to get a bit stiff for moving, but other than that, still a great investment after all these years. Can't say I ever used its configuration too much though :D

Forceflow

Post by Forceflow » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:05 am

madadh7267 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:36 am
now do i put the pr0 file into the xwa directory?
No, it depends on which drivers you use, but there should be a folder called something like this:
C:\Users\Public\Documents\Logitech\X52
It could also be Saitek instead of Logitech. Basically you put the file there and then go into the programming software and load the file. Don't forget that you also have to assign it to the joystick once it's loaded. (That should be the blue button) Once that's been done also make sure you actually close the software, else it won't work.

madadh7267
Cadet 4th Class

Post by madadh7267 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:38 am

tested first run worked great more of getting used to the controller since it's new and i havnet played xwa in years lol

Forceflow

Post by Forceflow » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:11 am

madadh7267 wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:38 am
tested first run worked great more of getting used to the controller since it's new and i havnet played xwa in years lol
Glad it's working for you! I am sure there is room to tweak my layout a bit. On the first mission I flew it worked fairly well. But unfortunately I don't have that much time these days :(
Let me know if you have any suggestions on how to improve it

WildstarBlue9
Lieutenant Commander

Post by WildstarBlue9 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:27 pm

madadh7267, I saw your PM late and have replied. Just been really busy, old friend! 😁
Wildstar, Red 2 (XO) (Ret.)

Not the Wildstar that authored IMCGen.