YT-1300 models

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

YT-1300 models

AlaricSkywalker
Rebel Alliance

Post by AlaricSkywalker » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:25 am

For the standard YT-1300, since the release of Solo, do we want to have a possible flight group be the design of the craft fresh and new?

My thinking is that, for a partial update to the game, the Sabra (and the Selu, plus that other YT-1300 that's present when you rescue the bothans) would have this look, and for the campaign ideas I have that continue the Azzameen's story, since I'm thinking the Sabra will gain an underbelly turret, asides the radar dish, it'd help to distinguish it from the falcon much more effectively.

If you're unaware, the dlc campaign ideas are listed here: https://www.xwaupgrade.com/phpBB3/viewt ... =1&t=12838 I plan on going into more detail about possible missions and such later in separate topics, but for now, thoughts on the Solo YT-1300 design possibilities?

Will T
Galactic Empire

Post by Will T » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:30 am

Personally I'm not a fan of the idea that Lando's Falcon was the original 'standard' look for the YT-1300, actually.

We've seen too many Falcon lookalike's elsewhere for one thing, and the idea that the Falcon we see in the films is a yellowed, rusty skeleton of what the ship is supposed to be just doesn't sit quite right.

Also, XWA is set firmly in the Legends universe. I'm not really a huge fan of porting new canon elements into Legends stories unless they really, really work there. Having a few U-Wings flying around would be fine, for example. The Sabra has an established look, it shows up in XWA cutscenes. If they wanted it to look different, they would have done that - like they did with the Andrasta, giving it a unique paint scheme.

But more to the point, the difference between Lando's Falcon and Han's is a physical difference - it's more than just a different paint job. What you're asking for couldn't really be done with FGs, which only change textures. It would have to be a whole new model that you could maybe avoid taking up a slot with by using mission hooks.

I think it's more likely that if you wanted a Lando style Falcon, you'd just have to wait for someone to decide they wanted to model it as it's own thing. At which point, you could obviously swap things around however you wanted. I think part of the reason it hasn't happened yet is that Lando's Falcon doesn't have quad turrets, and we've only just found out how to get custom turret cockpits in on a per ship basis. So until recently, doing Lando's Falcon accurately would have been impossible.

With all that said, I do think the YT-1300s and the Falcon need a model update at some point in the future. If anyone ever takes that on, it might just be they find a clever way to include a Lando style FG.
Formerly known as The 95 Headhunter

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:54 pm

Will T wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:30 am
Personally I'm not a fan of the idea that Lando's Falcon was the original 'standard' look for the YT-1300, actually.

We've seen too many Falcon lookalike's elsewhere for one thing, and the idea that the Falcon we see in the films is a yellowed, rusty skeleton of what the ship is supposed to be just doesn't sit quite right.

Also, XWA is set firmly in the Legends universe. I'm not really a huge fan of porting new canon elements into Legends stories unless they really, really work there. Having a few U-Wings flying around would be fine, for example. The Sabra has an established look, it shows up in XWA cutscenes. If they wanted it to look different, they would have done that - like they did with the Andrasta, giving it a unique paint scheme.

But more to the point, the difference between Lando's Falcon and Han's is a physical difference - it's more than just a different paint job. What you're asking for couldn't really be done with FGs, which only change textures. It would have to be a whole new model that you could maybe avoid taking up a slot with by using mission hooks.

I think it's more likely that if you wanted a Lando style Falcon, you'd just have to wait for someone to decide they wanted to model it as it's own thing. At which point, you could obviously swap things around however you wanted. I think part of the reason it hasn't happened yet is that Lando's Falcon doesn't have quad turrets, and we've only just found out how to get custom turret cockpits in on a per ship basis. So until recently, doing Lando's Falcon accurately would have been impossible.

With all that said, I do think the YT-1300s and the Falcon need a model update at some point in the future. If anyone ever takes that on, it might just be they find a clever way to include a Lando style FG.
That Lando's Falcon is the non-standard model (or less common one) is actually established by Episode II where two YT-1300's can be seen on a hanger landing pad on Naboo configured like the Falcon. Han modified the ship a lot but the exterior you see is pretty much stock YT-1300 (except for the guns).
1st Lt Sigurd "BattleDog" Stormhand, Assigned Corsair Squadron, Renegade Wing, CRS Vigilant.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

AlaricSkywalker
Rebel Alliance

Post by AlaricSkywalker » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:37 am

BattleDog wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:54 pm
Will T wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:30 am

That Lando's Falcon is the non-standard model (or less common one) is actually established by Episode II where two YT-1300's can be seen on a hanger landing pad on Naboo configured like the Falcon. Han modified the ship a lot but the exterior you see is pretty much stock YT-1300 (except for the guns).
Good point. Still, nothing can say that the "Lando Falcon" would make a good addition to the roster as was done with Episode 7 Falcon, right?

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:14 pm

Yeah, like mentioned above, Lando's Falcon was modified from a stock YT-1300. It's not what they look like out of the factory.