The Sims

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

The Sims

Geekwithpower
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Geekwithpower » Sun Jan 12, 2003 12:32 am

Man, I love this game. In the words of our friend DataDroid, it's crack on a disc. <P>I've had it for two days and I've played more than 10 hours. I built a humungo house. Two floors, like 15 rooms, four balconies, one outdoor pool, one indoor pool, one science lab, a library, an entertainment room, and one of the balconies is an outdoor lounge. Me, and three of my best friends share the house with our wives. So that's eight people, I gotta build more rooms!<P>I've got a cool screenshot of the lounge balcony. Me playing pool while my friend Ross plays pinball. It's cool cause the song on the stereo on the balcony at the time was "My own worst enemy" by Lit, cause I realized the songs were in MP3 format, so I added a bunch.<P>I'm linking to the shot cause its big: <A HREF="http://themikecam.com/aaron/lounge.jpg" TARGET=_blank>http://themikecam.com/aaron/lounge.jpg</A>
<B><A HREF="http://stellatus.net" TARGET=_blank>Stellatus.net</A></B><BR>My online portfolio

Major Wes Janson
Galactic Empire

Post by Major Wes Janson » Sun Jan 12, 2003 3:13 am

Sims online?<BR>I have the original with a couple expansions. There is no such thing as a quick game of the Sims
Corellian Browncoat
"There's no I in 'team'. There is a me, though, if you jumble it up."
"When I suggested they reverse the polarity of the main deflector dish and flash wipe all our DNS proxys they said I was not helping."

Geekwithpower
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Geekwithpower » Sun Jan 12, 2003 3:34 am

I've got Sims and Sims Livin' Large.<P>It says "my friend" because I made a family called "the Roomie" and all the family members are my friends and our girlfriends. So for instance, my simulated persona is <B>Aaron the Roomie</B><p>[ 12 January 2003: Message edited by: One Point Two ]
<B><A HREF="http://stellatus.net" TARGET=_blank>Stellatus.net</A></B><BR>My online portfolio

Major Wes Janson
Galactic Empire

Post by Major Wes Janson » Mon Jan 13, 2003 2:48 am

Oh. I'm waiting to get Sim City 4, i can move my sims into the city. and pray for no meteors or volcanoes or cooking fires...
Corellian Browncoat
"When I suggested they reverse the polarity of the main deflector dish and flash wipe all our DNS proxys they said I was not helping."

Cloud
Lieutenant

Post by Cloud » Mon Jan 13, 2003 3:26 am

The following is a text file I wrote that I paste into threads when giving my opinion on the Sims:<P>It <I>could have been</I> a good game, but it isn't. <P>Good sides:<BR>The idea is creative.. well, not really, there was, I think, the Big Brother game before the Sims so the whole idea might very well be a rip-off.<P>Graphics are okay, and you can customize the game really troughoutly.<P>Bad sides:<BR>Tons. <P>The two most noticable ones:<P>1. You can't lock doors. What? Why exactly can't you lock the door to the house or the bathroom? <P>2. How come you can't visit other houses or schools or such things? *Hears people yelling "x-pack"*. Don't make me laugh. Sims costs $20-40 and every x-pack is, what, an additional $20? And Livin' Large is just a bunch of new clothing and items. Yes, they <I>eventually</I> added it, but personally, I don't pay $100+ for that, and I pity the people who do. Honestly.<P>3. You can't own a car or any vehicle. This is basically an add-on to #2. Why can't the children have bikes, for example, or the adults cars? <P>4. You can't own a pet, save for fishes. You have to pay like a total of $60-80 to get the feature.<P>5. Admit it: The skills system sucks. Hey, they're not noticable at all, it's just this whole "get skills to get a better job" thing. What about skills like Bladder Control, Athletic Skills, Language Skills, Mentality (with this I mean something like traumatic events like your parents dying bringing this down and making you far less outgoing or something), and so on. For example, a kid's athletic skills can be improved by having the kid participate in, say, a Track Team (which practices you can even watch by going to the school). Then, the more the kid gets into athletics, the better his mood and athletic skills get.<P>6. No days off. Why not? Well, they added holidays and such in an expansion pack, but really..<P>7. No weather effects.<P>8. It never ends. Granted, the Sim-line of games is not supposed to be ending, but at least in the original Sim City, you had scenarios in addition to the never-ending thingie.<P>9. No climate zones or seasons. For example, if you lived in a Sim City up north it'd snow frequently, while it would rain frequently near the Equator of this little Sim Earth.<P>10. No differences. What if you could, say, live in the Third World for a challenge and have all these shortages and stuff? Or live in a war-zone or something? Don't laugh this off, it's not too stupid, just that the examples I mentioned aren't too good.<P>11. Clothing. Your little girl pees her pants and sobs and her comfort and hygiene goes to zero. Then she takes a shower and her hygiene goes back to top... except she's still wearing her wet pants. Do they consider that hygiene in Sim City?<P>12. The police picks up your kid if he flunks classes, but not if his whole family dies.. US idea of a welfare system, anyone?<P>13. Injuries, hospitalization, illegal activities (intended by the player or not)... holy god, the list is freaking endless.<P>14. Game speed. You say that if one second was one second it'd take forever, but really, there is an option to turn up game speed. That, and if you really had up to a day to play a day, you could add all those features I mentioned above (watch your kid play soccer at school, for example). Really, a planet that rotates around its axis in 24 minutes?<P>Conclusion: I have no clue as to why all those x-pack features weren't included in the original the Sims game: All these are things I thought of off the top of my empty blonde head. If a blonde Scandi teen can think of this in a minute, why couldn't 10+ paid American brown-haired people think of them in, what, several years of development? They have to have gotten a ton of fan mail too, right? Just proves how one blonde is smarter than the whole The Sims community :D.<P>Cloud has spoken.<p>[ 13 January 2003: Message edited by: Cloud ]

Ace Knight 1
Commander

Post by Ace Knight 1 » Mon Jan 13, 2003 12:34 pm

errr,you can own a pet FYI, sims unleashed, there is a whole ton of epts to buy, and in hot date tehre is a guinea pig! +)
Now We've rewritten history.<BR>The one thing that we found out.<BR>The sweet taste of vindication.<BR>Just turns to ashes in your mouth.<P>Where do we go from here?<BR>And should we really care?<BR>The end is finally here,<BR>God have mercy...

samsolo
Cadet 1st Class

Post by samsolo » Mon Jan 13, 2003 12:41 pm

the "game" is crap.
FIGHT THE PROGRAMMERS

Geekwithpower
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Geekwithpower » Mon Jan 13, 2003 12:43 pm

The guinea pig is in livin' large, too. I've got one.<P>I think my biggest gripe is about not being able to assign bedrooms. I hate it when I try to go to sleep, and three people are playing guitar in my room, watching the fishes, or on the computer.

Defiant
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Defiant » Mon Jan 13, 2003 4:56 pm

Personally, I never understood it. But The Sims and its inexhaustible number of expansions sell like crazy, so the designers must've done something right.

Specter
Lieutenant JG

Post by Specter » Mon Jan 13, 2003 7:06 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Major Wes Janson:<BR><STRONG>Sims online?<BR>I have the original with a couple expansions. There is no such thing as a quick game of the Sims</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Real Life comics eh? ;)<P>Bah Cloud you are a party breaker, "The Sims" are fun...

Geekwithpower
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Geekwithpower » Mon Jan 13, 2003 8:23 pm

Cloud seems to hate everything.

Specter
Lieutenant JG

Post by Specter » Mon Jan 13, 2003 8:45 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cloud:<BR><STRONG>The following is a text file I wrote that I paste into threads when giving my opinion on the Sims:<P>[...]<P>Conclusion: I have no clue as to why all those x-pack features weren't included in the original the Sims game: All these are things I thought of off the top of my empty blonde head. If a blonde Scandi teen can think of this in a minute, why couldn't 10+ paid American brown-haired people think of them in, what, several years of development? They have to have gotten a ton of fan mail too, right? Just proves how one blonde is smarter than the whole The Sims community :D.<P>Cloud has spoken.<P>[ 13 January 2003: Message edited by: Cloud ]</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR><I>...and hell we laughed =p</I><P>Geez how fanatic is it to save your own list of arguments again a certain game, only to rub it in other people faces... =p<P>Why wasn't more features added to this game? Simple: too complicated, i'd like to see you thinking, and adding about these features you are talking about...<P>A game is meant to be fun, "The Sims" are fun, what's not to like?<P>Hell what are you talking about with your blond thingies...

Geekwithpower
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Geekwithpower » Tue Jan 14, 2003 12:06 am

If Cloud is Scandinavian he ain't all that bad.<P><I>Wants to move to Norway</I>

legend43
Lieutenant JG

Post by legend43 » Tue Jan 14, 2003 1:29 am

I did exeactly what One did. I have a 23,000sq ft house with 8 occupants and each of them has daily...flings with another member of the house.....
ME: I hate censoship. It's gay.<BR>AK: I know @#!$ that!

Cloud
Lieutenant

Post by Cloud » Tue Jan 14, 2003 4:21 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR>Geez how fanatic is it to save your own list of arguments again a certain game, only to rub it in other people faces... =p<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Agreed (evil grin).<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR>Why wasn't more features added to this game? Simple: too complicated, i'd like to see you thinking, and adding about these features you are talking about...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Of course, not: I'm not a designer. Give me a $5000 college scholarship and I'll get a computer degree and prove you wrong :D. It's called self-irony.<P>New feature/People to call: Assassin.<BR>Pay him $1000 and he'll kill a chosen person in the neighbourhood :D.

Specter
Lieutenant JG

Post by Specter » Tue Jan 14, 2003 7:59 am

Oh i didnt understand the point of self irony was to make an ass out of yourself...

Nute Type R
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Nute Type R » Tue Jan 14, 2003 1:25 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cloud:<BR><STRONG>Give me a $5000 college scholarship</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Planning on only going to college for three weeks?
sig

Defiant
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Defiant » Tue Jan 14, 2003 3:18 pm

Yeah, really. Fill out a FAFSA. +)

Major Wes Janson
Galactic Empire

Post by Major Wes Janson » Thu Jan 16, 2003 5:38 pm

Ok, I have the newest Sim game, Sim City 4. It is fun, but I have yet to really master the skill of creating a positive income :D
Corellian Browncoat