The Yavin Shipset is Finally Dead

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

The Yavin Shipset is Finally Dead

Abolisher
XWAU Member

Post by Abolisher » Fri Dec 13, 2002 4:06 pm

Yes, this announcement is long overdue. Initiated almost three years ago, the Yavin Shipset was advertised with high expectations. Although the missions and OPTs are done, there are certain aspects of the shipset that are never going to be finished. They have not been finished in the first three years and there is no reason to believe that they will be finished in the next three years, if ever. Therefore, it is time to stop kidding the community and for me to stop fooling myself--the shipset is never going to be completed.<P>Please do not construe this as me pointing my finger at <B>Ace Antilles</B>. He has had to endure some hardships and beyond that, he wasn't under a paid contract to do the work. As such, he can't be held accountable for this.<P>My apologies to those who stayed faithful to the very end, and to those who contributed other works to the project. All I'm doing is facing reality and bringing closure this project. I will try to use the contributions others made to the shipset in other projects so that their efforts are not wasted.<P>If Ace wants to keep the project alive, I don't have a problem with it. However, I am formally withdrawing myself and any work I have done from this project. Like I said, it is time to stop kidding the community with flashy advertisments on my website for a dead shipset.
This message brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department.<P><A HREF="http://abolisher.xwlegacy.net/" TARGET=_blank> Abolisher's Mission Command Outpost</A>

Azza
Lieutenant JG

Post by Azza » Fri Dec 13, 2002 4:19 pm

aw man...well, if that is what you feel is best.<P>Looking forwards to your Ashgard campains and future projects!
Texturing the <B>XWAUP Hyper Bouy</B><P><I>(Its gonna blow your mind)</I>

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Fri Dec 13, 2002 4:32 pm

*cries*<P>Well, I can't hold you back, can I? Now, I just hope you find another use for the Massassi temple.
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

Abolisher
XWAU Member

Post by Abolisher » Fri Dec 13, 2002 4:38 pm

The Massassi Temple will be incorporated into the Ashgard Campaign and the XWA Atmospheric Expansion.
This message brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department.<P><A HREF="http://abolisher.xwlegacy.net/" TARGET=_blank> Abolisher's Mission Command Outpost</A>

General Edor Crespin
Galactic Empire

Post by General Edor Crespin » Fri Dec 13, 2002 10:01 pm

Will you ever release any of your stuff just so it can be used if you don't finish anything?
IN THE WAKE OF FEDERATION THERE AROSE EMPIRE

Atx
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atx » Fri Dec 13, 2002 10:17 pm

Geezus! Another one bites the dust!<BR>I didn't even know of this shipset's existence!!!<BR>It's too bad since it looked quite promising.<BR>Just for reference sakes, what were the obstacles that finally stonewalled the project?<BR>Was it the sounds, texturing or was it technical issues with the XWA game itself?
The Navbuoy is closed...long live the XWAU!!!

dugg
Galactic Empire

Post by dugg » Fri Dec 13, 2002 10:23 pm

Now that is a shame :)
Dlya Slavi Bolshyevestskoy Empyeree!

Master Toddy
Lieutenant

Post by Master Toddy » Sat Dec 14, 2002 4:10 am

That's too bad, I was really looking forward to this project from day one, one of the few reasons I still have XWA on my computer. Oh well, *sighs* I guess I'll have to shell out $200 for a gamecube and $50 for Rogue Leader so I can get my Death Star mission.
This is just my two cents.

Abolisher
XWAU Member

Post by Abolisher » Sun Dec 15, 2002 3:23 am

This has nothing to do with limitations with the XWA game engine. Simply put, there were some limitations on how true to ANH the shipset would be, but it was still entirely doable. Like I said, the missions and OPTs were completed.<P>The shipset, as originally defined, had more aspects to it than just OPTs and missions. The said 'aspects' have not been completed in the first three years and I see no reason to believe that they will be completed ever.<P>I haven't decided what I am going to do (or can do) with the missions yet.

graphicx3000
Lieutenant

Post by graphicx3000 » Sun Dec 15, 2002 3:31 am

yeah release what you have of the mission and I'm sorry to hear that it is dead. whatever you think is best for you though, I'm happy with.

KenthHamner
Recruit

Post by KenthHamner » Thu Dec 19, 2002 12:51 am

Perhaps you would like to clarify for us what these aspects were? The project is dead otherwise I wouldn't bother to ask. Besides, I am curious. :)

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Thu Dec 26, 2002 7:18 pm

Actually it's all my fault!<BR>I never finished the sounds. Trying to match them in with some missions wasn't working. Finding time and will power too.<BR>It's very complicated, very frustrating and very depressing.<BR>Try doing it and working 39 hours a week and see how you like it! :confused:
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Michal
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Michal » Sat Dec 28, 2002 1:15 pm

What about release shipset without sounds? (something like light version) I'd like to see missions and Opts, please. :( <BR>I think that it is better than nothing. It will be fun play it without sound from movie too. What do you think?
My current project X-Wing Game Series Twitter
My old project X-Wing Series Site, still online

Mouse
Ensign

Post by Mouse » Sat Dec 28, 2002 2:30 pm

I think that I would <I>love</I> to have an unfinished version released!
Did I say that?

Master Qui-Gon
XWAU Member

Post by Master Qui-Gon » Sun Dec 29, 2002 12:47 am

I also would love to see it. I would also like to maybe help in finishing it. I'm not a super expert or anything but if help is what we need ? Anyway I'm with everybody else in that I would like see the opts and the missions.
Your focus determines your reality.

Red_Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Red_Leader » Tue Dec 31, 2002 12:04 am

If the BOY Shipset is cancelled, what will happen with the Ashgard (sp?) Campaign in Battle 2? Thats where the 'A New Hope' "timeline" is. I think, correct me if I'm wrong please. :o
"I want my sanity back." - Wedge Antilles
https://www.freewebs.com/redleaderxwa/

hulu
Cadet 4th Class

Post by hulu » Thu Jan 09, 2003 9:11 am

Ace and Abolisher,<P>What about releasing the current version of the Battle of Yavin shipset, even if it isn't exactly what you wanted it to be ?<BR> :)

Abolisher
XWAU Member

Post by Abolisher » Fri Jan 10, 2003 3:08 am

Your concerns have been heard. I will re-release Battle 2 of the Ashgard Campaign with the Yavin missions. These missions are somewhat different than the versions for the BOY shipset, but it nonetheless includes the climatic Battle of Yavin mission. I don't have access to my site at the moment and I need to talk to Nob about that, and I need to release a number of OPTs before I can release the update battle.<P>As for the original Yavin Shipset missions, I think those can be used in the XWAAE because well, all three missions involve planetary flight. This will delay the missions' release for a long time. However, if the XWAAE reaches a point where it won't be finished, whatever is done at that point will be released. How does that sound?

hulu
Cadet 4th Class

Post by hulu » Fri Jan 10, 2003 6:48 am

IT SOUNDS GREAT TO ME :D