Talking about Missions, Campaigns

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Re: Talking about Missions, Campaigns

ods
Ensign

Post by ods » Fri Jan 10, 2003 11:51 am

Yeah I'm not opposed to that if someone wants to do it. I don't know how. I'm not going to plan on it though so what we'll probably get is just the standard XWA interface, along with the Mon Cal hangar, only you'll be in a TIE. Like I said, not perfect, but what can you do, eh? :D
Am I supposed to put something witty here?

hulu
Cadet 4th Class

Post by hulu » Fri Jan 10, 2003 1:01 pm

I agree with you, Ods. The standard hangar is fine for me (except if somebody wants to do an imperial one). Tell us when you have checked the files and we'll find a way to make them available.

ods
Ensign

Post by ods » Fri Jan 10, 2003 5:26 pm

Can do. However, I just saw on another topic Trageton's new hanger that he was making. That could conceivably be used in place of the Mon Cal hanger, but then you'd have the problem of flying through the back wall every time you came in to land, unless of course you switched the Mon Cals and SDs in the flightmodels folder, but then you'd probably run into a whole new set of unforseen issues.<P>Hey I got an idea. Since I'm not home nor will I be for several days, could someone try the above and report on if it works or not? I'd start by just renaming the MonCals to the SDs and vice-versa (ie remname calamaricruiser.opt to stardestroyer.opt and vice-versa) and open her up and see if it works (ie you land and launch from the SD hangar normally like you would a MonCal). If that doesn't work then perhaps there'd be another way that someone could suggest?<P>PS If that's a no go and we can't find another way to make it work then I'll just plan on sticking with plan A. Too bad we can't edit XWA's source anymore so we could really get in there.<p>[ 10 January 2003: Message edited by: ods ]

Rich C
Lieutenant

Post by Rich C » Fri Jan 10, 2003 5:58 pm

What we have here is a good idea, a lot of talk, and no action :)
"If you're going through hell, keep going."

Avius
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Avius » Fri Jan 10, 2003 8:13 pm

I do agree if we want to seee this ever get done lets with just converting the missions. My just to make <B>very few</B> missions like 4 that could add up abit more to Tie Fighter so to have atmospheric misions. This could have taken place at key parts of the campaign since ther would have been very few of them and well serve to enhance the story. Lets just stick to the original idea and try to get this project materialize from it the idea that currently it is. As I said in my <B>spare</B> time <I>could help</I> with "mission testing" as I don't have the full version of AlliED and so can't use all its features. Yes I know to do somethings I AlliED but without the full version I can't help well. I would like to learn the ins and outs of mission editing so I could help you guys on modifying missions wherever needed. <BR>One question we could use DATech to get the picture data for the Imperial corridors if the program had the feature. Has anyone heard of Pal Patrick so may be he could join this effort and may be try to research on chaging that kind of graphics in xwa and gives an updated versions his program. For the hangar an imperial one could be modelled. We could use RotJ as a reference. The only problem here that whovever does gets done from the dfx or obj model to an opt with all texs and hardpoints and not stay as model in whatever format that may see someone's HDD forever never getting opted and eventually getting deleted which is the problem that we are seeing this community this days. Some1 comes shows a fancy model but months and it doesn't gets opt so if some1 did an Imp Hangar pls finnish it and if there's a skill u don't and you're havening peoblem learning e.g. texturing there're which could do it for u. Well could some1 point me to a good tutorial on modelling with 3dfaces in Rhino3d because if I could learn atleat to model I could try to model this hangar and well opt it while any volunteer could help me with texturing?<p>[ 10 January 2003: Message edited by: Avius ]
Avius <BR>squall@prw.net<P>I am back! Long live XWAU!

Avenger One
Captain

Post by Avenger One » Fri Jan 10, 2003 8:20 pm

This is gonna be good. Ill help compile the XMOD so that you can install all the missions or just one campaign or something else. BTw couldnt you also SSL 2000? With the GOB format?
In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?

FmmF3
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by FmmF3 » Fri Jan 10, 2003 8:27 pm

Has anyone ever converted BoP missions to XWA?

WarHawk107
Ensign

Post by WarHawk107 » Mon Jan 13, 2003 8:34 pm

i have a IMP hanger model almost finnished:<BR> Image <BR> Image

Shark
Ensign

Post by Shark » Tue Jan 14, 2003 7:14 am

kewl

hulu
Cadet 4th Class

Post by hulu » Tue Jan 14, 2003 7:17 am

I haven't testet (yet ?) the procedure suggested by Odd, but I am quite sure it is possible to change of Capital ship. Indeed, in the Episode I shipset, the Naboo fighters take off from a new Hangar based on a buoy (which is supposed to transfer them from the Naboo atmosphere towards space). So it shouldn't be too difficult to make fighters<BR>take off from an Imp capital ship.

ods
Ensign

Post by ods » Tue Jan 14, 2003 3:33 pm

Ok people, I'm back in town now and near my computer. Unfortunately, when I reinstalled my new HD I did not save the converted TIE Fighter missions, so I'm going to have to start from scratch. I do still have all the files on my machine though so I'll give her a whirl and convert a few and see how they look. It's a very simple process so I shouldn't have too much trouble. I'm also going to try a few of the other suggestions that I made earlier in the posts. Look for a new topic to be started soon entilted "TIE Fighter Conversion". That will be the thread used for the project as this one is growing long.

General Taskeen
Ensign

Post by General Taskeen » Wed Jan 15, 2003 2:00 am

Um... I guess I can say this, yes I have basically converted all of TIE Fighter, all the missions, all briefings, in-game wingmate chatter, and the captain imperial guy who tells you what do and what not. I tested about half of it, and for the most part it worked well. I never really talked about this, it was supposed to be released when the TIE upgrades came out.<P>I couldn't have done it without the other guy who helped me, I forgot his name, haven't heard from him. It's been a long time. We each did about half and half, I converted most of the missions, while he did a lot of the sound work.<P>But, I would have to take out my old hard drive on the comp I don't use anymore...<P>[ 15 January 2003: Message edited by: General Taskeen ]<p>[ 15 January 2003: Message edited by: General Taskeen ]
Jg26[Gj37]/|Taskeen<BR><A HREF="http://bf1942.battleforeurope.com" TARGET=_blank>BFE</A>

Berruga
XWAU Member

Post by Berruga » Wed Jan 15, 2003 6:57 am

Ahh!! Please, please do it for us !! :D <P> Is a really good new! We will do the rest!<P><BR>Ok! I will obtain the pictures of the corridors!<BR> :roll:

ods
Ensign

Post by ods » Wed Jan 15, 2003 3:49 pm

Hey General Taskeen that's awesome man! Would you consider donating the work you have done already to the project? That way we'd cut down a lot on what has to be done. What do you say?

Berruga
XWAU Member

Post by Berruga » Thu Jan 16, 2003 7:26 am

Ok! I've already captured some screenshots for the corridors...<P> Just one question. Which ones you prefer? The old Tie-fighter ones, in my opinion the coolest ones but in 320x240 or the 95 collector's edition in 640x480?<P> Also i've started playing Tie fighter again!<P> While i was playing i noticed that in the first campaign you start in an Outpost called D-34... then i thougth that we can take profit of this situation using the first 7 missions of XWA -where you start in you family base- and put Outpost D-34 as first base and later in the 8th mission change it for an standart imperial hangar.<P>This will not require any effort because we can use the existing XQ-1 platform opt just as the Azzamen Family Base is used in the game as an hangar. Well but as you know there are just 2 misions in the first campaign when you use the D-34 platform as your base ... Then we need another 5 missions for doing that! <BR>But... Hey wait ! In the training simulator there are lots of missions using this platform as your base and with its briefings included. It will fix perfectly in to the plot as you have to pass this first missions before starting with the real duty of an imperial pilot. <P>So as you finish your training in outpost D-34 -after finishing mission 5 and them the first 2 missions of the campaign- you are asigned to more important ships of the Imperial Navy. Also doing this we will save some of the best training missions of Tie-figther and put them into its great plot.<P>What you think?<p>[ 17 January 2003: Message edited by: Berruga ]

ods
Ensign

Post by ods » Thu Jan 16, 2003 9:29 pm

Ok, first off, there's a new topic in the Pilot Lounge entitled "TIE Fighter Conversion". I'd suggest moving this discussion over there so we can really get moving on the project.<P>Second, Berruga, I have not a clue what the hell you said in your last post but if you want to capture the pictures from the original TF for use in the conversion, go right ahead. I'd reccomend the 640x480 ones. Let us know if it works in place of the MonCal concourse in XWA. :D

General Taskeen
Ensign

Post by General Taskeen » Fri Jan 17, 2003 3:45 am

I don't think I'll be donating my old <B>TIE Fighter Conversion Project ™</B> (TFCP for short). I would say it is completely finished, except for bugs I didn't care to fix.<P>If I get the time and get off my lazy ass I might take out the hard drive out of my old computer and upload the project somewhere, just MAYBE, I'm not saying I will.
Jg26[Gj37]/|Taskeen<BR><A HREF="http://bf1942.battleforeurope.com" TARGET=_blank>BFE</A>

ods
Ensign

Post by ods » Fri Jan 17, 2003 4:52 am

Aaaalllrighteythen. Well that's a damn shame. Guess we'll have to do it the hard way then. Feel free to donate it to the project at any time should you feel so inclined. :cool:

Berruga
XWAU Member

Post by Berruga » Fri Jan 17, 2003 7:25 am

Ups sorry some times when i have to write in english i do it as the way i express myself in spanish... that it isn't the correct way in english of course.<P> Hope now is correct... :D :p<p>[ 17 January 2003: Message edited by: Berruga ]

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Sat Jan 18, 2003 10:07 am

Hi there!<P>About the hangar:<P>I just talked to Warhawk. I had started an imperial Hangar a long time ago and we're thinking about combining our two models.<P> Image <BR> Image <P>As referrence I took the Executor's Hangar from TESB, where Vader's shuttle lands. <BR> <A HREF="http://www.starwars.com/databank/starsh ... movie.html" TARGET=_blank>Pic HERE</A><P>It's still a very rough model, I'm gonna add more stuff soon(catwalks, TF launch cranes(?) and stuff.<p>[ 18 January 2003: Message edited by: General_Trageton ]
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

ods
Ensign

Post by ods » Sat Jan 18, 2003 9:24 pm

Kick ass! But if it's going to be a fighter hangar don't you think there should be some TIE racks along the walls or some other such thing? No worries if you have to launch from the floor in the middle, the ambiance would be nice. :-)

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Sat Jan 18, 2003 9:40 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by General_Trageton:<BR><STRONG>It's still a very rough model, I'm gonna add more stuff soon.<BR></STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Alright?<P>I'm also gonna ask Darksaber, if I could use his TIEs for the hangar.<p>[ 18 January 2003: Message edited by: General_Trageton ]
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear