Talking about Missions, Campaigns

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Talking about Missions, Campaigns

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Wed Jan 08, 2003 1:16 am

Ok here's one for you all, has <I>anyone</I> successfully converted Tie Fighter, X-Wing, or X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter missions to play in X-Wing: Alliance.<P>I'm not talking about one or two missions, I'm talking about all of them!<P>If Dark Forces can be made for JKII, whats stopping you lot!<P>Fuck to what LucasArts say, if the're not going to release another X-Wing Game why should they care whether you have or not!<P>Rules are made to be broken, and I don't care about any shit about lawyers and so on<P>If you have I would like to know! If so Email me! tony@darksaber.freeserve.co.uk<p>[ 08 January 2003: Message edited by: Darksaber ]
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Wed Jan 08, 2003 1:58 am

bump!
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

WarHawk107
Ensign

Post by WarHawk107 » Wed Jan 08, 2003 3:04 am

you'd probably have to remake all the missions, after all it is a differant engine. sounds like a lot of work...i would like to see Tie Fighter(best story line EVER) on XWA, man that was one addictive game ;)<p>[ 08 January 2003: Message edited by: WarHawk107 ]

Gryphon
Lieutenant JG

Post by Gryphon » Wed Jan 08, 2003 4:53 am

I'd be interested in doing that, but I've never heard of it being done before...
<B>Crusade 3 Game Master</B><BR><A HREF="http://swcrusade.ionichost.com" TARGET=_blank>http://swcrusade.ionichost.com </A>

ods
Ensign

Post by ods » Wed Jan 08, 2003 7:18 am

I've done it. Wasn't all that hard really. Just use the latest version of AlliED and you can import both X-Wing and TIE Fighter missions. Works great, though both require some editing to be absolutely perfect, but quite playable as they are. Use a program called DF2.exe (I think?) to rip open the voice files for the games and you can actually all the briefing and in-game voice commands. Looks and sounds awesome with XWAU.
Am I supposed to put something witty here?

RogueWing
Cadet 1st Class

Post by RogueWing » Wed Jan 08, 2003 9:18 am

I've converted several of the TIE missions, but by far not all of them.<BR>I didn't do this just to play them, I was actually testing out Allied looking for some of the unknowns. :)
I childproofed my house 2 years ago, but they still keep sneaking in.

hulu
Cadet 4th Class

Post by hulu » Wed Jan 08, 2003 9:43 am

Hi Guys,<P>Ods, have you still the converted files (X-Wing, Tie Fighter => XWA )? Would it be possible to pack them in an xmod and to make them available ?<P>I know this requires probably some work but maybe somebody can help you (personally I don't know how to create xmods).

Specter
Lieutenant JG

Post by Specter » Wed Jan 08, 2003 9:54 am

Argh leave me alone darn stupid game! Leave m alone! Let me go! ;)<P>Sounds like a good idea, Tie Fighter missions rocked and now that we have all those enhanced ties it would look even better...

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Wed Jan 08, 2003 5:36 pm

Thanks guys, for replyingm Ods do you still have that convertor? If so please email me it.<P>Also if any of you have any converted missions, again please email them to me
- John Lydgate

Rich C
Lieutenant

Post by Rich C » Wed Jan 08, 2003 5:44 pm

I think either Goldwave or Winamp can open the .voc files used by T/F (pretty sure it's Goldwave), I remade the first campaigns from X-W and T/F in XvT a loooooong time ago, don't have them anymore though. I tried doing it for XWA, but it was far too boring setting up the regions :D
"If you're going through hell, keep going."

Specter
Lieutenant JG

Post by Specter » Wed Jan 08, 2003 7:28 pm

Argh i want them online!<P>Who cares about issues, i am willing to host them on my site if there is to be any problems...<P>This game is old...i mean likem how can we possibly do bad things by doing that, also like DS said, DF is being ported to JKII...<p>[ 08 January 2003: Message edited by: Specter ]

ods
Ensign

Post by ods » Wed Jan 08, 2003 7:28 pm

I'm PRETTY sure that I sill have most of the files and programs needed on my hard drive but you'll have to wait a bit as I am on the East coast for business and won't be back for a week. When I return I'll take a look and see what I have.<P>DS, if memory serves correctly, you have a program on your page that can unpack the .voc files from XW & TF so you can then insert them into their various folders to play the campaigns with voices. You might want to check into that.<P>On a side note, I think this might be a great idea, to convert TF to XWA and distribute it to the community. It would certainly take a little bit of time and effort but might bring some people around to play the game again. Who knows? It certainly is a new experience playing the TF campaign in XWAU glory. Very pretty indeed. XW is probably a wasted effort as the gameplay enhancements over the original XW render the missions ridiculously easy, though you can play them and the story if you want.<P>Re: LucasArts? Who gives a flying rat's rectum! It's pretty obvious this series is ancient history. Plus, what are they going to do, shut us down? Blah! In this unknown corner of the galaxy I'd imagine we could do just about anything we wanted without worrying about the Empire getting wind of it (and by the way, I'm talking about LA, not Microsoft). :-)

legend43
Lieutenant JG

Post by legend43 » Wed Jan 08, 2003 9:04 pm

That is the most awesome idea ever. I never got to finish TF as I got a new comp and it stopped working(i've tried everything). I loved it.
ME: I hate censoship. It's gay.<BR>AK: I know @#!$ that!

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Wed Jan 08, 2003 9:12 pm

Well if you intend doing this, instead of putting it up on a server or site, simply, email it to whoever wants it, <B>don't</B> include credits, email addesses and so on, this way there's fuck all they could do about it if they would but there again who cares!<P>Oh Goldwave will convert them<p>[ 08 January 2003: Message edited by: Darksaber ]
- John Lydgate

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Wed Jan 08, 2003 9:43 pm

I loved Tie Fighter.<P>*Alpha Two, do you enjoy being shot at?*<P>Why are there no lines like that in XWA?
1st Lt Sigurd "BattleDog" Stormhand, Assigned Corsair Squadron, Renegade Wing, CRS Vigilant.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

legend43
Lieutenant JG

Post by legend43 » Wed Jan 08, 2003 11:25 pm

"Gamma 1 is the Emperor's Stool Pigeon!"<P>It's because The Imps kick ass and the rebels don't

ods
Ensign

Post by ods » Thu Jan 09, 2003 3:07 am

Sounds good peeps! I agree with DS and I think that this might be a fun thing to do that a lot of people would enjoy. I'm almost positive that I have all the tools I need but I'm gonna need some help editing the missions so that they all run perfectly(abolisher?). For example in the missions where you have a hyperdrive-capable TIE you could create a SD or base that you launch from and then hyper to the reigon to commence your mission, or not...just depends on what people want to see. Various other things are also needed, like creating light sources from stars, etc... Might be cool to put in some neato backdrops to add flavor to the scenery. Otherwise AlliED does a great job of importing the missions, works like a charm, no probs at all.<P>On a side note, does anybody know what's up with Troy and AlliED?? There's a message on his website that he's rewriting it yet again. I sent him an email requesting an update some time ago but haven't heard back. Anybody know what's up?

hulu
Cadet 4th Class

Post by hulu » Thu Jan 09, 2003 7:55 am

Hi guys,<P>I hope we can enjoy these TF missions (in a not too far future ! :) <BR>I know Mission or Opt creators don't like this kind of question, but my point shouldn't be misunderstood: I am perfectly aware this is a lot of work and that everybody has real life issues. Personnaly I am ready to wait as long as necessary. It's just that the screenshots I've seen are promising and it would be a pity if what has already been done is lost.<p>[ 09 January 2003: Message edited by: hulu ]

legend43
Lieutenant JG

Post by legend43 » Thu Jan 09, 2003 11:53 am

hulu
Cadet 4th Class

Post by hulu » Thu Jan 09, 2003 12:39 pm

OK, I hadn't seen this. :( <BR>But once again, having an unfinished Battle of Yavin Shipset is much better than nothing !<P>Please Ace Antille and Abolisher ... :D

Avius
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Avius » Thu Jan 09, 2003 8:06 pm

Hey the Tie Fighter missions are converted you could email them to me. Mean while whoever gets in charge of doing this email me of any progress reports that are posted here and if you can and if have the time you send me a mission or two so I cold test them give any suggestions. Hey some creativity be nice also so may you could try to add some few new things you might have liked in a certain mission provided that the people hear like and vote on the idea. May some few planet missions could also be done ala Rogue Squadron mission style but instead of being a rebel as in the RS storyline you would be in Imperial as this are the Tie Fighter missions were are talking about here. If can be fit in the storyline of Tie Fighter a new mission that could be made would the Asteroid chase in ESB but from the Imperial side in which could be or flying a Tie Fighter or a Tie Bomber. It be cool having all those asteroids opts that Abolisher textured specically the large sand colored ones and the large asteroid were the MFalcon hides. An to top it off besides a large asteroid field have all the SDs and the Vader's commandship. It could be a good idea. Just play around with what to add to Tie Fighter storyline that takes to missions within planets and not just space...hmm...<P>[Edit]Delete these post pls[/Edit]<p>[ 09 January 2003: Message edited by: Avius ]
Avius <BR>squall@prw.net<P>I am back! Long live XWAU!

Avius
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Avius » Thu Jan 09, 2003 8:07 pm

Hey the Tie Fighter missions are converted you could email them to me. Mean while whoever gets in charge of doing this email me of any progress reports that are posted here and if you can and if have the time you send me a mission or two so I cold test them give any suggestions. Hey some creativity be nice also so may you could try to add some few new things you might have liked in a certain mission provided that the people hear like and vote on the idea. May some few planet missions could also be done ala Rogue Squadron mission style but instead of being a rebel as in the RS storyline you would be in Imperial as this are the Tie Fighter missions were are talking about here. If can be fit in the storyline of Tie Fighter a new mission that could be made would the Asteroid chase in ESB but from the Imperial side in which could be or flying a Tie Fighter or a Tie Bomber. It be cool having all those asteroids opts that Abolisher textured specically the large sand colored ones and the large asteroid were the MFalcon hides. An to top it off besides a large asteroid field have all the SDs and the Vader's commandship. It could be a good idea. Just play around with what to add to Tie Fighter storyline that takes to missions within planets and not just space...hmm...<P>And I almost forgot email me at the mail below my sig the missions if they ever get converted :D
Avius <BR>squall@prw.net<P>I am back! Long live XWAU!

ods
Ensign

Post by ods » Fri Jan 10, 2003 1:46 am

Yeahhhhh, I'd be initally inclined to veto that idea as what we're aiming for here is just a conversion of the TIE missions, and nothing more other than maybe some minor environmental tweaks such as planets, suns, etc.<P>I'd suggest that if you want to do the hoth asteroid chase that you just do it in AlliED and submit it so we can all play it. If someone could do that well then that'd be a sweet mission.<P>PS: Anybody who wants to test the missions for continuity is welcome to, once they're up, but what we need are people who know AlliED who can edit them because they do need some editing (especially if you have a hyperdrive-capable TIE - see above postings).<p>[ 10 January 2003: Message edited by: ods ]

hulu
Cadet 4th Class

Post by hulu » Fri Jan 10, 2003 7:00 am

I agree with Ods. It's better to stick to the original TF missions so that we can have something soon instead of beginning a new ambitious project that leads to nothing.<P>And concerning the improvement of the missions with Allied, we have either to find somebody willing to do it, or to forget it and just have the original converted missions. Personally I don't know Allied ...<BR>Anybody volonteers ? :D

Berruga
XWAU Member

Post by Berruga » Fri Jan 10, 2003 10:19 am

Yes we will need an imperial hangar... as it have been said...<P> And is there any posibility of changing the XWA main corridor of the Calamaris and your own family transport room for the Tie figther imperial corridors screens? (of course they could be redone as they are in very low resolution )<P> As they are just some pictures and animations it may be quite easy to change them as the crests of the ships, medals and 'suvenirs' of your room can ben changed for new ones... no?