If you want to stop smoking

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

If you want to stop smoking

Cloud
Lieutenant

Post by Cloud » Mon Jan 13, 2003 3:59 am

<A HREF="http://www.whyquit.com/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.whyquit.com/</A> <BR>Two of my grandparents died from that shit. One grandmother, as well as my aunt and uncle both smoke. I hate the stuff and would like nothing more than seeing it banned and burned and made scary by propaganda and warning programs. If you want to quit, do so <B>now</B>.

Abolisher
XWAU Member

Post by Abolisher » Mon Jan 13, 2003 5:04 am

Your grandparents probably started smoking before the harmful health effects were known. If that is in fact the case, then it was a trajedy with no one to blame. As for us and our parents' generations, those who take/took up smoking do so knowing full well the risks. The tobacco companies are not to blame. Even it they are shut down and tobacco banned, people will just start growing it in the woods and in their gardens, just like pot. Hell, I see in the news all the time about pot gardens on public lands (national forest) some having thousands of plants in my state. <P>Cigarettes are legal because they don't impair one's ability to drive, work, or operate machinery, at least not sigificantly. So alcohol is legal...yeah we tried prohibition and it didn't work since law enforcement (LE) was practically taking on the whole country. Evidently, there are few enough users of illicit drugs the LE can sort of control on it even though it can't be stopped entirely.<P>Don't get me wrong. I don't like cigarettes either. If other people want to smoke and get sick from it, fine with me as long as they don't pollute the air I breathe. Since smokers aren't allowed to smoke in practically all buildings in my state except some bars and their homes (obviously), I almost never have any conflicts with them. I also support education to make people aware of the risks of smoking. That way, they aren't deceived into unknowingly doing something harmful to themselves.<P>My grandpa...I mean...an aquaintance of mine :D
This message brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department.<P><A HREF="http://abolisher.xwlegacy.net/" TARGET=_blank> Abolisher's Mission Command Outpost</A>

Defiant
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Defiant » Mon Jan 13, 2003 7:50 am

If I register randomadvocacy.org for you, will you stop filling this forum with emotionally-charged trash?

Specter
Lieutenant JG

Post by Specter » Mon Jan 13, 2003 4:30 pm

<B>My 102 years old grandpa died from smoking too!</B><P>...err...it was that or he died from age ...=p<P><BR>[ 13 January 2003: Message edited by: Specter ]<p>[ 13 January 2003: Message edited by: Specter ]

Cloud
Lieutenant

Post by Cloud » Mon Jan 13, 2003 10:55 pm

Look, this's got nothing to do with emotion. I wanted to help people stop smoking and I told you why you should. Why would I want to do that? Go figure.

Rich C
Lieutenant

Post by Rich C » Mon Jan 13, 2003 11:33 pm

Oh please, if people want to smoke, let them, it's people like you that just annoy everyone, if a member of your family choked to death on a chicken bone, would you go around telling people to stop eating? :p
"If you're going through hell, keep going."

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Tue Jan 14, 2003 12:16 am

Couldn't have said that better Abolisher or Rich C<P>Cloud, you could have never touched tobacco in you life but still drop dead from Throat or Lung Cancer.<P>It might be heartless thing to say but everyone dies of something one time or another, whether it be from Lung Cancer, Heart Attack knocked down by a bus whatever, so what!<P>So people with Bowel Cancer are you going to tell them to stop wiping there arses. <P>Life goes on! Get over it!<P>There's no need to try and ram the facts of it down our throats (no pun intended) :)<P>We've seen the "propaganda", we know what it can do and you or anyone else for that matter can't force, persuade or stop us, if we wish to die sooner rather than later it's up to us!<P>Christ, you do come up with some shit in your posts.<P>Oh bugger I said "Christ", I suppose you’re going to start a new thread about blaspheming now".<P>While we’re are on the subject, where in the Ten Commandment or even in your Constitution, does it say: -<P>"Thou stall not partake in the smoking of tobacco" what was that number 11<P>Oh sorry! I must have missed that one. LOL! :p
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

Cloud
Lieutenant

Post by Cloud » Tue Jan 14, 2003 2:20 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR>if a member of your family choked to death on a chicken bone, would you go around telling people to stop eating<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <BR>I see I'm not the only one coming up with BS :D.<P>Okay, screw banning of tobacco. The point of the post was to help the people who WANTED TO STOP SMOKING do so. I won't FORCE you to quit smoking, but I might help those who want to do so. Close the thread if that's offensive to you.

Nute Type R
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Nute Type R » Tue Jan 14, 2003 1:21 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Darksaber:<BR><STRONG>We've seen the "propaganda"</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>You should see the stuff they run on TV in the US. It makes me want to switch from cigars to cigarettes just to spite them.
sig

General Edor Crespin
Galactic Empire

Post by General Edor Crespin » Tue Jan 14, 2003 1:39 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cloud:<BR><STRONG>If you want to quit, do so <B>now</B>.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yes, mom.<p>[ 14 January 2003: Message edited by: General Edor Crespin ]
IN THE WAKE OF FEDERATION THERE AROSE EMPIRE

Nute Type R
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Nute Type R » Tue Jan 14, 2003 2:10 pm

I am in Flavor Country<P> Image
sig

Defiant
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Defiant » Tue Jan 14, 2003 3:13 pm

Let's seeee...<P>Before this thread:<BR>* My brother: Quit smoking.<BR>* My stepmother: Had a stroke from it, quit smoking.<BR>* Someone I know's best friend: Had some big chunks of lung removed. Any more and she'll be in a wheelchair.<BR>* Despite her friend's condition and hearing of the stroke above, this person I know continues to smoke.<P>After this thread:<BR>* People take up smoking to annoy Cloud.<P>Conclusion:<BR>People are going to do whatever they want. Telling them to do something like you're their parent only makes them angry, and often they do what you tell them not to just to piss you off, since you've revealed it's a soft spot for you. The people in older generations didn't have the warnings we did...or they did and don't care now. Either way it's irrelevant. They're going to do stupid things that harm themselves. Just make sure they don't harm me, too, and I'll be happy.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR> Look, this's got nothing to do with emotion. I wanted to help people stop smoking and I told you why you should. Why would I want to do that? Go figure.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I don't smoke now, I didn't smoke before, and I won't smoke in the future, so stop telling me to quit. It's nasty foul-smelling stuff and I'd just as soon shoot myself than taste and smell like that.

Rogue
Lieutenant

Post by Rogue » Tue Jan 14, 2003 4:43 pm

Never smoked. Never will.

Zel
Galactic Empire

Post by Zel » Tue Jan 14, 2003 6:22 pm

A good cigar on the weekend combined with good whiskey and beer together with your friends is worth dying a bit earlier.

FmmF3
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by FmmF3 » Tue Jan 14, 2003 6:47 pm

My Grandma died from smoking, but the real reason I won't smoke is because of all of the gun-toting right wing evil militia type facsist nazi racists that run the tobacco companies, pulling that putz Dubya's strings.

Nute Type R
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Nute Type R » Wed Jan 15, 2003 2:13 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FmmF3:<BR><STRONG>My Grandma died from smoking, but the real reason I won't smoke is because of all of the gun-toting right wing evil militia type facsist nazi racists that run the tobacco companies, pulling that putz Dubya's strings.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>It's always either Big Tobacco or Big Oil or Big Pants or something with you people. Geez.<P>I like cigars. Cigars are like a once a couple of months thing. They're fun.
sig

Abolisher
XWAU Member

Post by Abolisher » Wed Jan 15, 2003 2:18 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR>...but the real reason I won't smoke is because of all of the gun-toting right wing evil militia type facsist nazi racists that run the tobacco companies, pulling that putz Dubya's strings. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Only an extremist narrow-minded bigot would make such a statment. 'nuff said.
This message brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department.<P><A HREF="http://abolisher.xwlegacy.net/" TARGET=_blank> Abolisher's Mission Command Outpost</A>

Gryphon
Lieutenant JG

Post by Gryphon » Wed Jan 15, 2003 7:04 am

My dad was VP of a cigarette company back in the 70's – he only smoked cigars though. He did his best to make sure none of us would ever smoke lol
<B>Crusade 3 Game Master</B><BR><A HREF="http://swcrusade.ionichost.com" TARGET=_blank>http://swcrusade.ionichost.com </A>

FmmF3
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by FmmF3 » Wed Jan 15, 2003 6:53 pm

LOL, I was kidding, without big business, oursystem wouldn't run at all. right-wing fascist is even a oxymoron.

Avenger One
Captain

Post by Avenger One » Wed Jan 15, 2003 8:22 pm

Well now Cloud..... you mentioned smoking but consider this... you can die just as fast from being over weight and inactive. So now should we all hit the gyms? You can die from alcohol, you can die from eating too many fattie foods, you can die from not doing any of that too. Because of that last thing, I figure if we all stop worrying about hwats bad for us an being dead, then we can all enjoy what time we have on earth and try and take as good care of ourselves as we can. Rather that being worried about it try and relax and enjoy. I say relax because stress causes heart attacks.
In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?

Abolisher
XWAU Member

Post by Abolisher » Thu Jan 16, 2003 1:44 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR>LOL, I was kidding<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Fair enough. Please, next time you might try to make it more obvious that you're joking, like using one of these:<P> ;)

Nute Type R
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Nute Type R » Thu Jan 16, 2003 2:24 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FmmF3:<BR><STRONG>right-wing fascist is even a oxymoron.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Well, that depends. What KIND of fascism?
sig

FmmF3
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by FmmF3 » Thu Jan 16, 2003 10:15 pm

The kind those evil republicans are pushing<P> ;) I'm no expert on foreign gov'ts.

Nute Type R
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Nute Type R » Fri Jan 17, 2003 1:05 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FmmF3:<BR><STRONG>I'm no expert on foreign gov'ts.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I applaud you for not attempting to come up with a hairbrained explanation.
sig