Error - Resolve BackBuffer: The parameter is incorrect.

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

Error - Resolve BackBuffer: The parameter is incorrect.

billythekid
Recruit

Post by billythekid » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:08 am

Hi all - itching to play XWA like the old days, but with way cooler graphics. However every time I try to run a mission I get the following err:

Resolve BackBuffer: The parameter is incorrect.

Installed XWA from GOG, installed XWAUCPv1.3.exe but no dice. Tried on a Windows 8.1 VM, and a Windows 10 VM both with DirectX 11, then another Windows 8.1 machine with DirectX 9E, all with the same results. I did some foraging in the forums here and found a similar thread from a while back... it appeared to be something to do with some dll files, but there didn’t seem to be any clear actionable resolution that I could follow. Any help would be met with virtual high fives :D

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:22 pm

Billy, did you get this resolved ? I'm getting the same result on a Win7 32-bit O/S with older Nvidia Geforce FX 5650 video card that I know worked with XP. My guess is there is something wrong with ddraw.dll file or videocard drivers (older version is needed)? Haven't tried Reimar's patch yet, but that might help.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

billythekid
Recruit

Post by billythekid » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:28 am

Bman wrote:Billy, did you get this resolved ? I'm getting the same result on a Win7 32-bit O/S with older Nvidia Geforce FX 5650 video card that I know worked with XP. My guess is there is something wrong with ddraw.dll file or videocard drivers (older version is needed)? Haven't tried Reimar's patch yet, but that might help.
I didn’t get it to work unfortunately. I spent a good few hours trying different patches, configurations, multiple VM's etc. but nothing worked - same message. Gave up in the end :(

leonhardrocha
Recruit

Post by leonhardrocha » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:53 pm

I had the same problem with VMware but solved deleting ddraw.dll and draw.cfg (i just moved them out the folder).

Reimar
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Reimar » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:42 am

Did any of you try to set EnableMultisamplingAntialiasing to 0 in the cfg file?
Also did the systems you had issues with support Direct3D 11 (I suspect that as the issue with VMWare)?
Apart from that I admit it is weird because "resolve backbuffer" should only be relevant/used for the screenshot function...

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:20 am

Thanks Reimar. No not yet. I will in the future. Don't have the Win7 PC with me a/t/m.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

Reimar
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Reimar » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:22 am

There is a new release on github that fixes a bug in just that code.
It did something that the documentation explicitly said is not allowed.
Strangely it did work on all of my computers though, and it was tested on NVidia, AMD and Intel so it should have worked on all graphics cards. So I doubt it will help, but it's a chance.