Installing the Upgrade on Secondary Hard Drive

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

Installing the Upgrade on Secondary Hard Drive

supermatt6
Recruit

Post by supermatt6 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:24 pm

Hey all,

I run all my games off of a secondary hard drive, with my system being run from the C: drive. The upgrade installer won't let me specify where my Steam install folder is, so it simply refuses to install. Is there a workaround for this, or is this something that will have to be addressed in a future update?

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:52 pm

Steam is automatically installed to your C: drive, therefore your installation of Steam XWA is also automatically installed to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\"

This can't be changed, so unless you have manually moved your XWA folder from the Steam folder to your secondary drive the Upgrade installer will automatically find the steam version of XWA from the registry.

If the upgrade installer finds the correct folder from the registry it will then check if the folder exists and if the files exist, if the files do not exist it will ask you to reinstall XWA, but if the files are found in the xwa dir, the upgrade installer will install.

There is no need for a function to manually specify where you have installed XWA because if you haven't moved the folder the upgrade installer will find the XWA dir from the registry, this function will remain the same and not changed!

You could try changing the path in the registry to where you have moved your xwa folder, but if your not familiar with the registry I wouldn't start messing with it.

Just reinstall steam XWA, DO not move the folder and you'll be able to install the upgrade installer.

Please tell me, what you did when you installed Steam XWA
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

supermatt6
Recruit

Post by supermatt6 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:57 pm

My Steam folder is under A:\Steam, and XWA is A:\Steam\steamapps\common\

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:03 pm

Then if you haven't manually moved your XWA folder the upgrade installer should have found it
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

supermatt6
Recruit

Post by supermatt6 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:07 pm

Okay I'll re-attempt. Thanks again!

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:09 pm

Is the Upgrade installer asking you to reinstall XWA?
- John Lydgate

supermatt6
Recruit

Post by supermatt6 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:13 pm

Well, now it is. I had a corrupted CD copy installed on the C:\ drive (but no CD) and now I have the Steam version. After removing the old version, it can't find it now.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:16 pm

Did you uninstall the corrupt version after you installed the steam version if so you have removed the registry settings, reinstall your steam version
- John Lydgate