Joystick Emulator Solved Yet?

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

Joystick Emulator Solved Yet?

PedgeJameson
Recruit

Post by PedgeJameson » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:18 am

I can't believe in this day and age I still can't just find something that wil let me emulate the mouse instead of the joystick. :P

Still no luck? :kopfwand: hehe

gongo
Cadet 4th Class

Post by gongo » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:24 pm

-
Last edited by gongo on Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PedgeJameson
Recruit

Post by PedgeJameson » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:37 pm

A mouse is a more comfortable and more precise way to play. The reason LA went with the joystick onyl option was because they were in cahoots with hardware companies. I have a great Afterglow controller. But I am a Wing Commander Veteran rat. Fly with a mouse, drive with a joystick.

stk421
Cadet 4th Class

Post by stk421 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:11 pm

If you want to emulate a joystick, you can do so by using vjoy. It does not use a mouse, but it lets you use the arrow keys on your keyboard the same as a joystick. You can configure keyboard buttons to work as primary and secondary fire, trim, and other joystick features.

Joysticks are hard to find these days. Thrustmaster joysticks are ok I find.

The X-Wing series seems to work much better with a joystick than without. vjoy is an ok stop-gap, but ultimately the best remedy for playing these games is a joystick.

Reimar
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Reimar » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:12 pm

My variant of the ddraw.dll (https://github.com/rdoeffinger/xwa_ddraw_d3d11/releases) also contains joystick emulation via mouse + keyboard.
But I didn't have the patience to fine-tune it, so I doubt it will be a good experience (but I haven't had any feedback on it at all).
It is kind of directed at using the mouse for more fine-grained movements and the keyboard arrow keys for fast turns.
It's enabled automatically when it doesn't detect any joystick.