Joystick Control fix?

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

Joystick Control fix?

Dristanjy
Recruit

Post by Dristanjy » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:44 am

I recently got recommended this game from a friend and I noticed that the joystick controls are completely wrong. When I tilt my joystick left or right it turns when it should roll. When I rotate my joystick (yaw) it rolls when it should turn. It's impossible to fly. Is there a mod that fixes this anywhere? I can't find anything! :kopfwand:

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:53 am

Moving Topic to Soft/Hardware Problems
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:57 am

First what do you have installed, is it just a vanilla install of XWA or is it patched with XWACP or DSUCP?

Can I refer you to this Thread it maybe the same problem
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Dristanjy
Recruit

Post by Dristanjy » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:02 pm

I have a Logitech Extreme 3DPro, and I've installed the XWA Upgrade from this site.
That post you linked is for one of the axis being inverted. I'm trying to switch axis controls.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:05 pm

No I'm referring to this

If you look your XWA Dir you will see a file called DDraw.cfg, with in the DDraw.cfg file down the list you will see

Code: Select all

; JoystickEmul = -1 (default, auto-detect) or 1 (force on), 0 (force off) or 2 (force XInput)
; EXPERIMENTAL - behaviour is far from optimal.
; Emulates a joystick using keyboard and mouse.
; For auto-detect only enabled if no joystick is detected.
; It is not possible to use a joystick that is plugged in after start.
; Force off to get back the dialog boxes asking you to plug in the joystick.
; Force XInput to use a special XInput mode that is adjusted to what worked
; best for my experiments with a Steam controller, so it might not be useful
; for anyone else.
JoystickEmul = -1
At the moment it's set to -1 which is default auto detect
Try setting it to 0 to force it off
It that doesn't work try 1 or 2
- John Lydgate

Dristanjy
Recruit

Post by Dristanjy » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:20 pm

1 the joystick doesn't work at all, 0 the controls are still wrong, 2 the controls are still wrong.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:41 pm

Dunno then, sorry

But you could try downloading there software, or calibrating the joystick

Have you asked in the Logitech forums, how you could calibrate it or change the axis
- John Lydgate

Reimar
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Reimar » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:01 pm

Dristanjy wrote:I recently got recommended this game from a friend and I noticed that the joystick controls are completely wrong. When I tilt my joystick left or right it turns when it should roll. When I rotate my joystick (yaw) it rolls when it should turn. It's impossible to fly. Is there a mod that fixes this anywhere? I can't find anything! :kopfwand:
Unless I misunderstand, that's exactly how the game is meant to behave. It's not a (aerial) flight sim, so roll isn't really something needed, and the joystick inputs correspond more directly to what happens on the screen (left = turn "camera" left).
Remapping the axis with some software is probably the best suggestion if you really want it differently, but if the only reason is that you are used to flight sims I have some doubts you will be happy with the result, as it will still behave very differently, and to top it off it will slow you down in dogfights (I suspect evading turbolasers will also get harder).