Getting XWAU to run on VM running XP

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

Getting XWAU to run on VM running XP

banistersmind
Recruit

Post by banistersmind » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:47 am

I've recently purchased a new desktop computer and the first thing I've done is install a Virtual Machine (Windows XP SP2) in order to run my old games on it. Chief among them is XWA.

I've successfully installed the game, patched it to 2.02 and I've installed WineD3D for Windows in order to address the graphical issues, flashes and black lines around the cockpit. All is good. However, when I come to install XWAU - either 1.3 or 1.6 - it installs fine but then I can't run the game from then on. I get an error message from the desktop icon the installer places on my desktop and going into the game folder and trying to launch from there does nothing either.

Am I missing a step somewhere? Has anyone esle encountered this problem?

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:52 pm

Yeah, just buy it off of GOG or Steam, you're going to spend more time getting it to run using VM (my time is worth $14+ per hour), and the game is only $10 on Steam. Why bother monkeying around trying to get it to run properly?

It should also run fine on windows 10. I've installed it using the updated 32bit installer from disk, and from Steam. No issues here, so I dunno mate.

Trevor
Lieutenant JG

Post by Trevor » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:08 pm

Agreed, don't bother with a VM for XWA, its modern compatible since Jeremy made it DX11 with his ddraw hook.
In fact, that is the reason it fails, XWAUG and DSUP both use DX11 which XP doesn't support.

trev