New Visuals - Beta - Crashing

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!
Post Reply

New Visuals - Beta - Crashing

labc133
Cadet 2nd Class
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:47 am

Post by labc133 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:18 am

Game crashes at random times. Very random times during missions. Sometimes removing pod/pilot ejects helps. I think new visuals might be adding to the rootcause, but I did get random crashing before I installed them. New visuals are causing weird pauses in the game, though. Exiting to the menu and coming back helps substantially.

Specs:

i9-9900k (5.2ghz)
16gb ram (4000mhz)
RTX 2080

Is there any way to assign more memory to the game? I feel like I have enough hardware to kick this game's ass :(

Log of crash:

Faulting application name: XWingAlliance.exe, version: 2.0.0.2, time stamp: 0x3765a9b7
Faulting module name: XWingAlliance.exe, version: 2.0.0.2, time stamp: 0x3765a9b7
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000d332d
Faulting process id: 0x4df4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5cc1941272942
Faulting application path: C:\PROGRA~2\LUCASA~1\STARWA~1\XWingAlliance.exe
Faulting module path: C:\PROGRA~2\LUCASA~1\STARWA~1\XWingAlliance.exe
Report Id: acadfed0-4425-43fd-922f-9b2aa41ce62d
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Please help!

User avatar
ual002
Lieutenant
XWAU Member
Posts: 810
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:23 am

Post by ual002 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:22 am

Pilot/ pod ejections sounds like a familiar bug. Something was changed about those recently and then changed back if I remember correctly. I wonder if you have a lingering issue tied to that.
Image Image Image Image Image

labc133
Cadet 2nd Class
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:47 am

Post by labc133 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:28 am

ual002 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:22 am
Pilot/ pod ejections sounds like a familiar bug. Something was changed about those recently and then changed back if I remember correctly. I wonder if you have a lingering issue tied to that.
Are you referring to the Escape Pod Patch at Darksaber's Xwing Station?

User avatar
ual002
Lieutenant
XWAU Member
Posts: 810
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:23 am

Post by ual002 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:38 am

Possibly, that's sounds familiar.
Image Image Image Image Image

labc133
Cadet 2nd Class
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:47 am

Post by labc133 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:42 pm

ual002 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:38 am
Possibly, that's sounds familiar.
Yeah I don't know if that did it. It's still crashing randomly. :(

labc133
Cadet 2nd Class
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:47 am

Post by labc133 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:38 pm

Please! Somebody help! I can't stop the random crashes. I'm sure that you guys have some sort of fix!

I've tried downloading all the hooks and using the latest ddraw.

There must be a way to allocate more memory to the game.

User avatar
JeremyaFr
Commander
XWAU Member
Posts: 2581
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:52 pm
Contact:

Post by JeremyaFr » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:29 pm

labc133 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:18 am
Is there any way to assign more memory to the game?
Hello,
You can try that:
viewtopic.php?p=163221#p163221

labc133
Cadet 2nd Class
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:47 am

Post by labc133 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:28 am

JeremyaFr wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:29 pm
labc133 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:18 am
Is there any way to assign more memory to the game?
Hello,
You can try that:
viewtopic.php?p=163221#p163221
Hey Jeremy.

I tried that, added the patch and it seemed to help. However, it just crashed on me again. It so random it's hard to pinpoint. It usually happens when I look at a starship from a specific angle. Usually close by. It's so frkn weird! Do you think maybe putting it in [Run as Admin] and Compatibility Settings to Win7 might work?

Please see below event log. This is so frustrating :kopfwand:

Faulting application name: XWingAlliance.exe, version: 2.0.0.2, time stamp: 0x3765a9b7
Faulting module name: XWingAlliance.exe, version: 2.0.0.2, time stamp: 0x3765a9b7
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000d332d
Faulting process id: 0x1c74
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5d585cdf5e19b
Faulting application path: C:\PROGRA~2\LUCASA~1\STARWA~1\XWingAlliance.exe
Faulting module path: C:\PROGRA~2\LUCASA~1\STARWA~1\XWingAlliance.exe
Report Id: 3c480bae-11da-4d3a-9083-6d9ff3cb15db
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

User avatar
JeremyaFr
Commander
XWAU Member
Posts: 2581
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:52 pm
Contact:

Post by JeremyaFr » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:16 pm

Hello,

I think that there is maybe a bug in the Hook_Res1200.dll hook.

You can try to remove it or test this version:

EDIT: link removed

I don't know why the game crashes. The fact that the crash seems to appear randomly makes it difficult to track down.

User avatar
JeremyaFr
Commander
XWAU Member
Posts: 2581
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:52 pm
Contact:

Post by JeremyaFr » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:00 pm

Hello,
Here is a workaround:

See Crash at offset 0x000d332d

labc133
Cadet 2nd Class
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:47 am

Post by labc133 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:14 am

Installed! Let's give it a shot! :D


--1st try on mission that crashed. NO crashes! This might just have done it! :) :D

labc133
Cadet 2nd Class
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:47 am

Post by labc133 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:03 am

JeremyaFr wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:00 pm
Hello,
Here is a workaround:

See Crash at offset 0x000d332d
So it just crashed again, even with the new hook installed. Should I change my resolution? Should I mess at all with the compatibility? (windows 7 or xP)?

Note: The way I "installed" the hook is just copying it to the same folder the xwingalliance.exe file is.

Faulting application name: XWingAlliance.exe, version: 2.0.0.2, time stamp: 0x3765a9b7
Faulting module name: XWingAlliance.exe, version: 2.0.0.2, time stamp: 0x3765a9b7
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000d332d
Faulting process id: 0x1908
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5d7dc3a644298
Faulting application path: C:\PROGRA~2\LUCASA~1\STARWA~1\XWingAlliance.exe
Faulting module path: C:\PROGRA~2\LUCASA~1\STARWA~1\XWingAlliance.exe
Report Id: 88e15dbd-1ace-4d3f-9ec7-6fad49559fa3
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

User avatar
Driftwood

Admiral (Moderator)
Posts: 2074
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:01 pm
Contact:

Post by Driftwood » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:24 am

If you didn't patch the exe then I expect is why it crashed since an offset was modified in the same post that the updated hook was provided.

Thus, it won't work correctly without modifying the offset and only updating the hook. It's a two part fix.

labc133
Cadet 2nd Class
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:47 am

Post by labc133 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:34 am

Got it! Just patched the .exe

Mission seems to have worked fine. *crosses fingers*

Thanks alot for your help, guys.

By the way, is there any link to donate to the cause? You guys are awesome.

User avatar
Driftwood

Admiral (Moderator)
Posts: 2074
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:01 pm
Contact:

Post by Driftwood » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:03 pm

labc133 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:34 am
Got it! Just patched the .exe

Mission seems to have worked fine. *crosses fingers*

Thanks alot for your help, guys.

By the way, is there any link to donate to the cause? You guys are awesome.
As far as I know XWAU have never taken donations. The reality is, in my opinion, that by opening ourselves up to donation is essentially receiving payment for work that probably would open us up to C&D letters if we're perceived to be making any money at all. You want to donate something, donate time to learning how you can help with the process of upgrading the game and creating content.

labc133
Cadet 2nd Class
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:47 am

Post by labc133 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:24 am

Driftwood wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:03 pm
labc133 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:34 am
Got it! Just patched the .exe

Mission seems to have worked fine. *crosses fingers*

Thanks alot for your help, guys.

By the way, is there any link to donate to the cause? You guys are awesome.
As far as I know XWAU have never taken donations. The reality is, in my opinion, that by opening ourselves up to donation is essentially receiving payment for work that probably would open us up to C&D letters if we're perceived to be making any money at all. You want to donate something, donate time to learning how you can help with the process of upgrading the game and creating content.
By content you mean missions and story?

I'm working on a Campaign actually. I have 7 Battles of 5 missions each already completed of a story of 14 Battles already written. I can send the story for you to check out if you want.

Post Reply