Unable to see posted images

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

Unable to see posted images

GavUK
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by GavUK » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:59 pm

I'm unable to see images and I'm trying to figure out why.

I use firefox (always on the latest builds) and several plugins to block rogue scripts/trackers/cookies and so forth.

But I can't find out what is causing it... the only scripts that are showing is for the xwaupgrade domain... no other 3rd party scripts detected.. so it's not Noscript to blame... So then I check Ghostery... nope, not detecting anything either... so it's not that. Then I check privacy badger and we have three domains that are set to stop cookies only... imgur (which I have also used and have no problems viewing images) mtindustries (unknown to me) and mediatenor.com (media... could be the one).

Ublock origin is also listing those but is not flagging anything as ad related.

Any ideas? It just appears to be embedded images in posts that I can't see.

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:09 pm

Not sure if it‘s related but I used to have that issue in the past, usually followed by getting logged out. You could simply try to logout/login and see if the images show then.

BTW as this is the Feedback Forum you won‘t be able to reply. I‘ll move this thread to SW/HW problmems
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

GavUK
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by GavUK » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:45 pm

I've tried the usual, login out.in, clearing cache and cookies... I've since noticed it's kinda random... I see some images but not others.

So I'm wondering if it's an issue with perhaps embeded links to other image hosts that people might be using.

I'll try to find a thread or two and link to them.. one that works and one that doesn't. perhaps you'd be able to let me know if it's an internal or external image issue then.

Cheers for moving it so I can reply.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:07 am

Driftwood has had similar issues. So it could be down to other random websites hosting the images
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

GavUK
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by GavUK » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:50 pm

Ace Antilles wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:07 am
Driftwood has had similar issues. So it could be down to other random websites hosting the images
Which could then perhaps be down to one of the plugins I use in firefox to block 3rd party cookies/scripts. The next time I see it, I'll double check and see if any scripts are present and blocked... right now on this thread the site is pretty damn clean. It's one of the things I appreciate about this place.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:03 pm

Disable the Plugins and Addons one by one
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station