Disappearing Scanner and Laser/Shield Recharge

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

Disappearing Scanner and Laser/Shield Recharge

eeperman
Recruit

Post by eeperman » Sun May 03, 2020 2:36 pm

Hi guys,

First post here and just wanted to start by saying thank you to all the devs. I've not had a gaming pc for about 12 years and this was one of the first games I downloaded after getting back into it. The work and effort is amazing.

I have installed the 1.6 upgrade pack along with the three recommended graphics upgrade packs. The game works fine, but I have noticed an odd glitch. After I sustain damage in the cockpit the forward and aft scanners blank along with the shield/laser recharge bars and the cannon charge indicators. There is no indicated system damage. Is this an intended damage effect or is it a glitch? This effect happens whether I have the dynamic cockpit activated or not (i.e whether I have the old style HUD or not).

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Sun May 03, 2020 10:42 pm

Instrument damage has always been part of the games, although to my recollection it was always tied to receiving damage to the associated system. The system can be repaired, but the instrument damage remains. This was originally graphically apparent, with smashed displays in the cockpit, but in XWA it was changed to just blanking the HUD readout. Restoring the smashed displays feature is one of my hopes for dynamic cockpit.

Phoenix Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Phoenix Leader » Mon May 04, 2020 1:54 am

Totally agree. A "Broken Displays Restoration" mod would be great.

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Mon May 04, 2020 3:20 am

Phoenix Leader wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 1:54 am
Totally agree. A "Broken Displays Restoration" mod would be great.
I don't think it would rise to the level of an independent mod; more like a DC v1.1. The current DC could be extended to read the status fields that say whether or not the instrument is still functional, and if it's not, copy in a damaged version of the bezel texture (possibly one of several to keep it from being totally predictable, artistic bandwidth permitting.)

Or, did you mean in the default HUD? I'm sure that could also be done in DC, using similar techniques.

Phoenix Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Phoenix Leader » Mon May 04, 2020 4:20 am

I meant with the Dynamic Cockpits. Dunno if it could also be done with the default or modified HUD but without any DC mod installed.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Mon May 04, 2020 5:15 am

keiranhalcyon7 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 3:20 am
The current DC could be extended to read the status fields that say whether or not the instrument is still functional
Does anyone know where XWA stores this information?

eeperman
Recruit

Post by eeperman » Mon May 04, 2020 6:59 am

Thanks for letting me know - been a long time since I played the original game. I guess I’ll just have to focus on flying better!