Mouse Look is Erratic

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

Mouse Look is Erratic

cpeattie
Recruit

Post by cpeattie » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:48 am

Vanilla install on Windows 10, both Steam and CD, I have no issues. However, after installing XWAUCP my mouse look in hanger and in flight results in erratic movement. Does anyone know what causes this or how to fix?

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:25 pm

Probably related to the DPI settings of xwingalliance.exe. I'll try to post some screens later

EDIT: You can try the following. Right click on xwingalliance.exe and go to Properties -> Compatibility and make sure you have the "Override high DPI..." as in the following image:
High-DPI-settings.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cpeattie
Recruit

Post by cpeattie » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:38 pm

Thank you for the response! Oh, and... IT WORKED! I've used this setting in the past for display-related issues, but would have never guessed it would fix an input-related issue. You are the best! Been struggling with this for a couple days and you just made me so happy! Thank you!!

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:47 pm

blue_max wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:25 pm
Probably related to the DPI settings of xwingalliance.exe. I'll try to post some screens later
EDIT: You can try the following. Right click on xwingalliance.exe and go to Properties -> Compatibility and make sure you have the "Override high DPI..." as in the following image:
Interesting. Would you recommend that even if you don't see any issues?
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:47 pm

@cpeattie: No problem! Glad it worked for you!
Ace Antilles wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:47 pm
Interesting. Would you recommend that even if you don't see any issues?
Some people have reported that using the wrong DPI causes the game to render at lower resolution ignoring the current desktop resolution. For instance, some people have reported that setting the desktop to 4K would still cause the game to be rendered at 1920x1080 when the DPI isn't configured properly. Is this bad? Well, on one hand your game will look more pixelated; but on the other, it will run twice as fast! I guess it depends on what you prefer -- pretty vs fast.

Reimar
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Reimar » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:11 pm

Hm, could this be solved by calling SetProcessDPIAware from e.g. ddraw.dll? If you want to run at lower resolution, actually switching to a lower resolution would save some extra GPU cycles and probably reduce latency.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:23 pm

Thanks for the tip, Reimar. Yes, there are benefits of running at a lower resolution and that's something easy to add to ddraw.