Track IR odd behavior... and a question :)

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

Track IR odd behavior... and a question :)

Mr_Blastman
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Mr_Blastman » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:46 am

Been a while since I've visited XWA, but today I discovered all the wonderful progress that has been made! Thank you!

One issue... Track IR only works in the game if I run via the quickstart shortcut--i.e. the icon that skips the intro. If I run from the launcher, it works and is recognized in the launcher, but once the game starts, it doesn't work.

I've installed every package on the download page, and when I start the XWA Launcher, my Track IR's blue light comes on as if it will work, but then when I launch the actual game, it goes off, as if the game isn't using the device. When I go into the Track IR software in the launcher, it says it is connected to the title "Freespace 2," but once the game starts, it says it is connected to nothing.

Perhaps this is a bug y'all missed, so I hope this helps.

Also, on to my question:

When I'm in the game, I see little white boxes around all the ships and targets. I recall there was a key to press to get rid of these boxes. What is it?

Thanks again for everything you do. :)

bonus question:

If I have shadows turned on by setting the option enable_indirect_ssdo = 1 inside the SSAO.cfg file, should I see shadows inside my cockpit when I turn, roll and yaw?

Because I am not.

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:24 am

Hi there,

I'm moving this post to the Soft/Hardware forum.

I think Blue_max can help you out there.
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:36 pm

Mr_Blastman wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:46 am
One issue... Track IR only works in the game if I run via the quickstart shortcut--i.e. the icon that skips the intro. If I run from the launcher, it works and is recognized in the launcher, but once the game starts, it doesn't work.
Yeah, I have no idea why this happens. This suggests that the launcher is loading the hook, which makes no sense. At the moment, the only way to get it right is by using the quick launch shortcut. Sorry!
If I have shadows turned on by setting the option enable_indirect_ssdo = 1 inside the SSAO.cfg file, should I see shadows inside my cockpit when I turn, roll and yaw?
This setting does not turn on shadows, it turns on indirect illumination at once bounce, so you'll see *less* shadows.

I haven't yet released the cockpit shadows effect, if that's what you're talking about.

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:43 pm

By the way I'm experiencing a bug with the quick launch loading track IR fine, play game, exit game, track IR holds game active state, quick launch game, track IR drops game head tracking obiviously doesnt work at this point, exit game and relaunch to get it working again. I can reproduce this consistently and it only started happening after the latest updates. I think Ual is having thr same problem.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:57 am

Driftwood wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:43 pm
By the way I'm experiencing a bug with the quick launch loading track IR fine, play game, exit game, track IR holds game active state, quick launch game, track IR drops game head tracking obiviously doesnt work at this point, exit game and relaunch to get it working again. I can reproduce this consistently and it only started happening after the latest updates. I think Ual is having thr same problem.
Yeah, ual told me about this. I checked the code and it is calling the functions needed to shut down the connection with TrackIR. One thing I've noticed is that sometimes the xwingalliance.exe process stays running in the background even after the game has exited. Next time check if the process is still there. If so, just kill it and see if that fixes the problems with TrackIR

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:05 am

Nope, neither running as an app or background process according to my processes tab. Still had to restart and then exit the game.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:20 am

You can also try the workaround I proposed here:

https://xwaupgrade.com/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 33&t=12515

See if you get the same behavior that way (I basically mimicked the behavior of FreePIE when coding support for TrackIR).