[Solved] CTD as soon as game tries to Load 3D engine

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

[Solved] CTD as soon as game tries to Load 3D engine

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:28 pm

Hi guys,

So I've installed the 1.6 XWAU patch and the latest hooks, as well as upgraded the driver on my Radeon GPU (RX480).

Prior to installing the patch the game would only run in software mode - now the game will not run the 3D engine at all, it won't load a mission, display anything in the Tech Library etc.

Here's the log from the Event Viewer:

Faulting application name: XwingAlliance.exe, version: 2.0.0.2, time stamp: 0x3765a9b7
Faulting module name: XwingAlliance.exe, version: 2.0.0.2, time stamp: 0x3765a9b7
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0019d823
Faulting process ID: 0x1fec
Faulting application start time: 0x01d64f229682697c
Faulting application path: C:\LucasArts\X-Wing Alliance\XwingAlliance.exe
Faulting module path: C:\LucasArts\X-Wing Alliance\XwingAlliance.exe
Report ID: bd27d627-3d15-41cb-b9c8-620917637838
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Seems similar to other people having issues except in my case it completely refuses to work.
Last edited by Ace Antilles on Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1st Lt Sigurd "BattleDog" Stormhand, Assigned Corsair Squadron, Renegade Wing, CRS Vigilant.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:05 pm

We've had a few instances of this. The best thing to help is if we know what you've done exactly.

Are you using CD or digital versions. GoG, Steam etc?

Do a fresh install of XWA is best if you can. Install the XWAUCP ONLY.
Test that the game loads but don't fly a mission. Make a backup copy of the folder to go back to later if needed.

Then install ONLY the Container Pack v4.1 as it's a very simple pack and been using it for tests.
https://www.xwaupgrade.com/download/mod ... k_v4.1.exe

DO NOT download any Hooks as it will not be necessary after this install. Do not install any DDraw files either.

Test the game and see if it works. If it does then replace the backup copy folder with this one.
Then slowly move through the NEW listed downloads ONLY. Nothing else.
Maybe make a small list so we can see which order it was done in.
Install the Dynamic Cockpits LAST.

You will not need to update Hooks at this time.

Sorry for the problems everyone is having but with so many varied PC's it can happen.
The team is working on solutions to make things simpler in the future.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:19 pm

OK, so I've added rules to Malwarebytes and Windows Defender to make sure they aren't blocking the App. No change. I can also confirm that I always get the same error.

I have the CD version of the game - I installed that, then JUST the 1.6 patch, then JUST the Hook updates.

I will rip the whole thing out and forgot the hooks this time.
1st Lt Sigurd "BattleDog" Stormhand, Assigned Corsair Squadron, Renegade Wing, CRS Vigilant.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:45 pm

BattleDog wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:19 pm
OK, so I've added rules to Malwarebytes and Windows Defender to make sure they aren't blocking the App. No change. I can also confirm that I always get the same error.

I have the CD version of the game - I installed that, then JUST the 1.6 patch, then JUST the Hook updates.

To quote Yoda. "That is why you failed" That's the issue. You didn't update the DDraw to the latest version.
If you install one of the new packs like the Container it will add it and all should be good.
Or the Effects pack but start small. Best to follow my steps so it's a clean start. :)

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:49 pm

OK - ran patch uninstaller, uninstalled game - deleted install folder.

install retail version using modern installer - install 2.02 patch. This is the "Classics" re-release btw, my originally 1999 disk cracked. Once installed the game runs in skirmish but attempting to enable 3D Hardware results in an error and reverts to software version. Otherwise game seems fine.

Install 1.6 Patch, with Full HD (1080x1920) option.... Game loads - quick look in settings show the GPU is now correctly detected. Exit - make a copy of the install.

Game runs - so it's one of the latest hooks.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:51 pm

Ace Antilles wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:45 pm
BattleDog wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:19 pm

To quote Yoda. "That is why you failed" That's the issue. You didn't update the DDraw to the latest version.
If you install one of the new packs like the Container it will add it and all should be good.
Or the Effects pack but start small. Best to follow my steps so it's a clean start. :)
The 1.6 installer enables DDraw, so that wasn't it.

I'll go through and update biut by bit some other time. For the moment it's enough that the game is running at my native resolution

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:58 am

BattleDog wrote:
Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:02 am

I'll go through and update biut by bit some other time. For the moment it's enough that the game is running at my native resolution
True but if you install new hooks and don't install an updated Ddraw is where problems come.
As I said if you install one of the new ships, like containers, then it adds all the hooks and d3d updates in one go.
Anyway good luck

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:45 am

Ace Antilles wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:58 am
BattleDog wrote:
Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:02 am

True but if you install new hooks and don't install an updated Ddraw is where problems come.
As I said if you install one of the new ships, like containers, then it adds all the hooks and d3d updates in one go.
Anyway good luck
OK, I eventually worked out what you meant - either that D3D updates needs to go above the Hook downloader or the downloader needs to pull that file down along with the hooks. The way the page is laid out right now I can't imagine I'm the only one who grabbed the patch, then the Hook downloader and thought that was the place to stop before adding anything else.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.