[SOLVED] "To setup the dinput hook" is not correctly initialized error & game crash in tour missions

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

[SOLVED] "To setup the dinput hook" is not correctly initialized error & game crash in tour missions

jlehikoi
Recruit

Post by jlehikoi » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:31 pm

Hello,

I bought today XWA from Steam and wished to replay it, as I remember enjoying the original game very much.

However, this was stunted by constant crashes whenever I try to start a tour of duty mission. When I start the game, an error message stating '"To setup the dinput hook" is not correctly initialized'. If I click away the error dialog, the game starts, and I can get as far as the mission loading screen, but then the game crashes without error message. Skirmish missions seem to work properly (based on one try).

I'm running the Steam version of the XWA, with the XWAUCP 1.6 installed, the XWA hooks setup installed and the newest container pack (per the advice in this thread). I faced the same issues also directly after installing the game from Steam and before installing the container upgrade.

I am running the game on a Lenovo Legion Y730 on Windows 10.

I would be very grateful for any advice on how to get the game to run.

The related application crash event log says:

Code: Select all

Faulting application name: XWingAlliance.exe, version: 2.0.0.2, time stamp: 0x3765a9b7
Faulting module name: XWingAlliance.exe, version: 2.0.0.2, time stamp: 0x3765a9b7
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0004190a
Faulting process id: 0x363c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d652f8e43de925
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Wars X-Wing Alliance\XWingAlliance.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Wars X-Wing Alliance\XWingAlliance.exe
Report Id: 640730f0-6b0b-4ffe-bb96-beb03d9e57aa
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 
Last edited by Forceflow on Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked issue as solved

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:40 pm

You shouldn't need to but make sure the Ddraw is updated.
Use this link and copy into the XWA directory
https://github.com/JeremyAnsel/xwa_ddraw_d3d11/releases
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:45 pm

Hello,

The patches applied by XWAUCP are listed here:
viewtopic.php?p=148930#p148930

The error message "To setup the dinput hook" comes from the DInput main hook.

I think that reverted the old patch can fixes the issue.
Revert the "To setup the dinput hook:" patch indicated here: viewtopic.php?p=147490#p147490

An easy way to do that is using XwaExePatcher and add the patch to "patcher.xml".

jlehikoi
Recruit

Post by jlehikoi » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:52 am

Thank you for the quick replies. After applying your tips, I ran into another hook-related error and figured that something was probably wrong with my installation. I tried to do a reinstall from scratch, and that resolved the "To setup the dinput hook" issue: XWA now starts without any errors. For future reference, I think the issues were caused by

- Originally, not starting the game once after Steam installation, thus missing Steam's first-time setup. This also caused the XWAUCP installation to hang until I tried reinstalling it.
- Only uninstalling from Steam, as this seemed to not remove all the game files. After deleting the local folder and reinstalling from scratch, the installation worked fine. Without installing the updated ddraw, the game would crash on mission start, but after updating the ddraw as well, the game seems to run fine (just completed the first story mission).

Thank you for the assistance, this question can now be marked as resolved.