[Solved] Missing Prologue Missions

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

[Solved] Missing Prologue Missions

vincehor
Recruit

Post by vincehor » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:15 am

Hey there, sorry if this has been asked before, but I have searched and not seen these questions:

1. When I upgrade ver. 1.6 to the GOG version, the game immediately starts with the first mission on the Defiance as a rebel recruit. It bypasses all of the prologue missions. Is that a normal part of the upgrade, and if so, why? Or is that a bug or an option in the install process that I somehow missed?

2. Is there a way to play the game with the upgrade in its original 4 by 3 aspect ratio, or is the upgraded version always played in a widescreen ratio?

And a sidenote: The opening videos play with a horrible framerate with the upgrade while they do not in the original vanilla version. I have an i7 with 32 gigs of RAM and a 980ti, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks for any answers!
Last edited by Ace Antilles on Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Solved issue

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:02 am

vincehor wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:15 am
Hey there, sorry if this has been asked before, but I have searched and not seen these questions:

1. When I upgrade ver. 1.6 to the GOG version, the game immediately starts with the first mission on the Defiance as a rebel recruit. It bypasses all of the prologue missions. Is that a normal part of the upgrade, and if so, why? Or is that a bug or an option in the install process that I somehow missed?
You need to start the game with the launcher (alliance.exe in your games folder) and add a new Pilot in the 'Pilot Options' to start a new game. Load that new player, from then on you can use the quickstart option.
vincehor wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:15 am
2. Is there a way to play the game with the upgrade in its original 4 by 3 aspect ratio, or is the upgraded version always played in a widescreen ratio?

And a sidenote: The opening videos play with a horrible framerate with the upgrade while they do not in the original vanilla version. I have an i7 with 32 gigs of RAM and a 980ti, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks for any answers!
Not sure about the aspect ratio, but it should be possible. There is the Hook_Resolution.cfg where you can set pretty much any resolution you want. Though currently the field of view of the cockpits is set to widescreen I think. That can be adjusted but someone who knows more about that needs to add their input for that.

As for the videos, I did notice that, too. Not quite sure what causes it because I don't think I had that before. What packages do you all have installed? (XWAUCP, hooks, effects, additional crafts, etc)
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

vincehor
Recruit

Post by vincehor » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:58 pm

Thanks so much for the answers! Saw the Temp pilot when I reinstalled the upgrade and deleted it and that did the trick. And it looks to me that all the ships and cockpits were designed for widescreen and not stretched. Only the cutscenes are stretched, so I think it's fine to run in widescreen. As for the framerate drop on the cutscenes, I installed the 1.6 upgrade, the 3.0 backdrops, the rebel cockpits, and the latest Blue Max effects patch and nothing else. But I noticed the framerate drop after installing only the 1.6 upgrade. When the upgrade is not installed, the cutscenes run in 4:3 and are as smooth as they are supposed to be. Weird.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:18 pm

vincehor wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:58 pm
Thanks so much for the answers! Saw the Temp pilot when I reinstalled the upgrade and deleted it and that did the trick. And it looks to me that all the ships and cockpits were designed for widescreen and not stretched. Only the cutscenes are stretched, so I think it's fine to run in widescreen. As for the framerate drop on the cutscenes, I installed the 1.6 upgrade, the 3.0 backdrops, the rebel cockpits, and the latest Blue Max effects patch and nothing else. But I noticed the framerate drop after installing only the 1.6 upgrade. When the upgrade is not installed, the cutscenes run in 4:3 and are as smooth as they are supposed to be. Weird.
In the main XWA folder open DDraw.cfg

Set this line to 1 as below.
PreserveAspectRatio = 1

That will make the concourse etc back to 4 by 3 aspect ratio
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost