[Solved] Weird Lighting and Texture problem

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

[Solved] Weird Lighting and Texture problem

El Giggi
Recruit

Post by El Giggi » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:15 pm

Hey, I hope someone can help me over here. I have a little problem with the textures of all models in this game when exposed to a ambient light source. The textures then look all "wrinkled". So my guess would be it has something to do with the shadows. Attached you'll find the an example screenshot.

I have the following mods installed currently (all latest version from this website)
XWAupgrade crafts pack
blue max
dynamic cockpits
super backdrops.
My graphics card is a Nvidia 1060 with the latest driver installed.

Though the problem already exists since when I only had the XWAUpgrade installed.

Its nothing major or game breaking. Just wanted to ask if someone here knew of a solution for this. Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:10 pm

blue_max wrote:
This is something from the Effects that Max can probably explain when he's online.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Ronin65
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Ronin65 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:55 pm

I'm wondering myself, can it be disabled?

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:26 am

El Giggi wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:15 pm
Hey, I hope someone can help me over here.
So, what's the problem then? I don't see any actual artifacts in the image you posted.

Perhaps you're seeing the effect of normal mapping adding "bumpiness" to your textures. You can toggle that by pressing Ctrl+Alt+N. If the problem disappears, then it's because of that feature.

If you'd like to disable Normal Mapping for good, open SSAO.cfg and set "normal_mapping_enable = 0".

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:35 am

Yeah, that's the infamous styrofoam look ;) while it does add some visual advancements to some crafts on other it looks wrong. Gotta have to say I tend to disable it.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

Will T
Galactic Empire

Post by Will T » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:32 am

Yeah, it's the Normal Mapping we're talking about here.

On some ships, it just interacts badly with the textures and makes them look like 'crunchy', or a bit like a cheap 3D printed model (lots of striations and indents).

The YT-2000, Lambda shuttle and Spyder's T-65 seem to suffer particularly badly, IMO.

I've just toned down the effect in the global materials file, though, and it looks a lot better. I think I brought it down to 0.1

@El Giggi, if you go into your XWA install folder, look for a folder called Materials.

There should be a couple of craft specific files in there. Look for the file called DefaultGlobalMaterial and open it in a text editor.

Where it says NMIntensity = x, try changing x to 0.1 and see how you get on.

If you still don't like the look, then as blue_max and Forceflow said, you can just disable the effect all together.

Personally, I think the effect looks too good on most bigger ships to remove entirely, but it probably does need tweaking on an individual ship level - which is a big project. Luckily, all future models should be built ground up with this feature in mind and will come with their own materials files and textures designed to make use of them.
Formerly known as The 95 Headhunter

El Giggi
Recruit

Post by El Giggi » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:42 am

blue_max wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:26 am
El Giggi wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:15 pm
Hey, I hope someone can help me over here.
So, what's the problem then? I don't see any actual artifacts in the image you posted.

Perhaps you're seeing the effect of normal mapping adding "bumpiness" to your textures. You can toggle that by pressing Ctrl+Alt+N. If the problem disappears, then it's because of that feature.

If you'd like to disable Normal Mapping for good, open SSAO.cfg and set "normal_mapping_enable = 0".
I never wrote anything about artifacts, just that the textures dont look right.

Thanks for the help, yeah it was exactly that, pressed the shortcut and it looks much better now.