I'm BRAND NEW!! I'M SORRY! Help

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

I'm BRAND NEW!! I'M SORRY! Help

Hat_Dancin
Recruit

Post by Hat_Dancin » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:43 am

Hi all,

First off, this site is absolutely incredible. I haven't been a PC gamer since this game came out and it was the last PC game I loved playing before I switched to console. Now I finally built my own gaming PC and this is the first game I got. Of course I want to mod and improve it like y'all but I'm dumb as a mynock when it comes to editing code. I got the XWAU Craft Pack 1.6 and it worked great. Then I tried for the hooks and I followed the instructions but when I copied them it asked if I wanted to replace some files that were in there and I said yes. Was that a mistake? Because my game started crashing in the mission loading screen. I did a fresh install and it kept happening. I read here to try and install the containers pack (which I did) and I can play again. But now I cant beat the dang first mission because my joystick sensitivity is crazy. I want to try to install all the hooks again because I know there's a joystick update in there but, again, i'm not all too sure what I'm doing :? And do I copy the "examples" folder into the same location as the hooks? It said to copy the contents of "setup" so I did. Anyway Hi, I'm Hat and I'm sure I'll be bugging you with questions for a while. But again, this site and community seems amazing and I love that there are so many talented folks still helping to improve this fantastic game! Thanks again!

-Hat

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:25 am

I imagine your problems began with copying over the hooks and replacing the existing ones. The files probably are still living in the folder even after an uninstall. I would recommend starting truly fresh. Uninstall the game, verify the directory where it was is completely clean and start again. Mind you, I have no current installs of XWAU Craft Pack 1.6 at the moment, and cant remember what all it entails as we are diligently working on a new edition. I was an old user of Darksaber's Craft pack and at the moment, I only have a build of that and the WIP TIE FIghter Total conversion. See if any other members swing by with better advise. I just didn't want you to be ignored. We'll get you sorted, just hang in there.

I wouldn't recommend a lot of tinkering right out of the gate because many of the files and hooks are interconnected and until you understand how, it could be dangerous to stray away from simple installers. That hooks setup is mighty nice to get Jeremy's most recent hooks, but many of those hooks are well more current than what the craft pack has ATM. The next edition of XWAU Craft Pack will better utilize the more recent hook improvements.
Image Image Image Image Image

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:43 am

Hat_Dancin wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:43 am
I got the XWAU Craft Pack 1.6 and it worked great. Then I tried for the hooks and I followed the instructions
Hello and welcome to the forums! Also: don't be sorry to ask questions!

From your description it sounds like you also need the latest ddraw (I suspect the hook_d3d.dll is causing your crashes as it requires the latest ddraw which is not included in XWAUP 1.6). Try using Jeremy's implementation which you can get here:

https://github.com/JeremyAnsel/xwa_ddraw_d3d11/releases

Then if that works, you might want to install the new effects.

Let us know if that helped fix your problem. As ual002 said, the next version of the XWAU craft pack should fix these problems, so please bear with us while we get that ready.

Hat_Dancin
Recruit

Post by Hat_Dancin » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:28 am

Thanks for the replies! I much appreciate it!

So right now I'm running the game with a fresh install and total clean out of the directory and the latest Craft Pack. Whenever I copy the contents of the setup folder into the directory it crashes during the mission load screen. I tried adding the latest ddraw as suggested but the instructions again say to drag it next to the xwingalliance.exe file but don't say if I should replace the existing file. Do I keep both or replace? This applies to all the hooks really? Keep both or replace? Thanks!

BenKenobi
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by BenKenobi » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:25 am

You should replace the existing the files. When you keep both the old file is renamed, but the file extension stays intact so it could result it weird behaviour.

A relatively easy way of being able to rollback in case something gets wrecked by copying new files into your XWA folder is to make a complete copy of the XWA folder. After that copy the hooks and ddraw.dll (any any other goodie you find ;) ) into the original games folder and give it a test. When you find out it's not working as expected you can copy the original files from the earlier made full copy into your game folder and be up and running a lot faster compared to a full remove and reinstall.

This will not work for changes/updates that are installed into your X-Wing Alliance, for that you can use the Xwa Backup Restorer found in the XwaToolsDownloader that can be found on the downloads page.
Important to know is that the Xwa Backup Restorer will not take files in account that are copied into the game folder manually, only installations can be rolled back with it.

Hat_Dancin
Recruit

Post by Hat_Dancin » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:50 pm

I've got things....OK at least for now. Main problem is the joystick is overly sensitive and no matter how I adjust the in-game settings or how many times I calibrate it, it doesn't fix the issue. I copied the joystick hook into the folder but noticed no change. If I could just fix that I'd be pretty happy with the current set up. I see lots of "At offset xyz replace this with that" and I understand that, but how do I open said config data? What file are these offsets located in? I wanna try the "At offset 10AE69, replace 7E22 with 9090.
At offset 10AEAE, replace 7E2F with 9090." possible fix but I don't know where to go to do that. Thanks.

-Hat

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:54 pm

Hat_Dancin wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:50 pm
I've got things....OK at least for now. Main problem is the joystick is overly sensitive and no matter how I adjust the in-game settings or how many times I calibrate it, it doesn't fix the issue. I copied the joystick hook into the folder but noticed no change. If I could just fix that I'd be pretty happy with the current set up. I see lots of "At offset xyz replace this with that" and I understand that, but how do I open said config data? What file are these offsets located in? I wanna try the "At offset 10AE69, replace 7E22 with 9090.
At offset 10AEAE, replace 7E2F with 9090." possible fix but I don't know where to go to do that. Thanks.

-Hat
I believe what you need is Jeremy's XWA Exe patcher. https://github.com/JeremyAnsel/XwaExePatcher for the latest build. The latest build may already include some patches you can activate that effect joystick sensitivity, just take a scroll through the available patches, or add your own as you mentioned above.

Hat_Dancin
Recruit

Post by Hat_Dancin » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:16 pm

I believe what you need is Jeremy's XWA Exe patcher. https://github.com/JeremyAnsel/XwaExePatcher for the latest build. The latest build may already include some patches you can activate that effect joystick sensitivity, just take a scroll through the available patches, or add your own as you mentioned above.

I gave that the ol college try and it's a nifty tool to be sure, but the only joystick patch I saw that I could apply was "remove joystick check" which I applied, but again no difference. Still not sure where to find the offset stuff. I appreciate all the help though! Thanks!

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:12 pm

So, it looks like installing the latest ddraw did fix the crashes. For the joystick being overly sensitive, I'd first try to remove "xwa_hook_joystick_ff.dll". Just put it somewhere else outside the XWA directory.

Hat_Dancin
Recruit

Post by Hat_Dancin » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:44 pm

blue_max wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:12 pm
So, it looks like installing the latest ddraw did fix the crashes. For the joystick being overly sensitive, I'd first try to remove "xwa_hook_joystick_ff.dll". Just put it somewhere else outside the XWA directory.
Tried and failed. Sadly it seemed to get worse. I put it back. Still bad though. Cant beat the first rebel mission even!

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:51 pm

What is your joystick?

Hat_Dancin
Recruit

Post by Hat_Dancin » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:58 pm

ual002 wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:51 pm
What is your joystick?
Thrustmaster USB joystick for windows is what it says. 4 buttons, a throttle,and a hat.

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:18 pm

Hat_Dancin wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:58 pm
ual002 wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:51 pm
What is your joystick?
Thrustmaster USB joystick for windows is what it says. 4 buttons, a throttle,and a hat.
It very well could be the joystick itself. It likely doesn't have any programming software either. Strange though, my early years with the sidewinder and this game I seem to remember it being not sensitive enough, had to throw it wildly just to turn the spaceframe.

Hat_Dancin
Recruit

Post by Hat_Dancin » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:42 pm

I was thinking that too, but when I play the game after a clean install and don't use any addons, it seems to work fine.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:39 pm

I've moved this post now to the main help section rather than Hook Editing.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:59 pm

Hat_Dancin wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:50 pm
I wanna try the
At offset 10AE69, replace 7E22 with 9090.
At offset 10AEAE, replace 7E2F with 9090.
possible fix but I don't know where to go to do that. Thanks.
Hello,
These patches are applied by the joystick ff hook.

Hat_Dancin
Recruit

Post by Hat_Dancin » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:20 pm

And to install the joystick hook I literally just drop it in the folder, right? I use steam so C:-Program x86- steam- steamapps- common- xwing alliance and that's it right? Cuz that's what I'm doing. I like this joystick and don't want to have to buy a new one. I'm trying to learn vjoy and joystick gremlin but it's pretty dang confusing. Also I'm pretty easily confused. I appreciate all the tips and suggestions tho!

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:17 am

Yes, you install hooks merely by putting them on the same folder as "xwingalliance.exe". If your problems only start when you update the hooks, then one of them must be causing your joystick issues. That's why I suggested that you remove the "joystick_ff" hook. You might want to try removing other hooks to see which one helps. Be aware that removing some hooks may cause the game to crash, so don't delete them! Just move them outside the XWA folder.