[Bug] X-wing v6.0 R2 textures

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

[Bug] X-wing v6.0 R2 textures

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:04 pm

I've found a bug in the textures of the X-wing v6.0.
In this version Darksaber "recombined the 6 Red Squadron X-Wings to form 4 New X-Wings each with 6 flight groups."
There seems to be an issue with the Red Squad X-wings R2 unit.

flightscreen0.jpg

If you look at the pictures I think the R5 droid FG colour is ghosting over the top of the R2 causing interference.
The lower dark textures are actually rotating in different directions to the dome.
flightscreen2.jpg
flightscreen3.jpg
It doesn't seem limited to the Exterior Opt either as the wingmen XW also show the issue.
Plus for some reason their heads want to do a full 360 turn too lol

flightscreen1.jpg

The regular X-wing looks ok. So it just seems to be the Red Squad version for now afaik.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:18 pm

Part of it is probably a .mat file issue not hiding the transparent textures.

This is my first guess.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:09 am

Yeah, it's probably the materials not configured properly. Have you tried how these X-Wings look using Jeremy's ddraw?

Ronin65
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Ronin65 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:57 am

I can confirm that there is nothing wrong with the "Textures" on the v6 Squad Xwings, I multiple versions XWA installed, WITHOUT the Effects installed the hidden Droids are NOT visible in game, WITH the Effects installed the Hidden Droids are visible.

Mat files have NOT been included with these versions of the xwing, some need to be added just for the Squad Xwings to remove the ghosting, the Effects cause with transparent textures

You don't see the same effect with the "regular" or generic xwing as it does NOT have the same amount of Meshes as the squad xwings, the Droid on the generic xwing is just a single R2 Droid, therefore you don't see the ghosting as you do on the Squad Xwings which has multiple Droid heads R2, R4 and R5

Reporting this as a Bug or Issue is over exaggerating this problem, it's hardly an Issue :?

If someone makes mat files for the v6 xwing, you'll need 2 sets, one set for the Generic Xwing another set for EACH Squad Xwings

I did come across one glitch or error, I can confirm that ONLY the squad xwing.ini files need to be slightly updated

the [Pilot] section needs to be changed from

Code: Select all

[Pilot]
;mesh index, angle, speed, behavior
6, 32, 2, 1
9, 32, 2, 2
40, 32, 2, 2
42, 32, 2, 2
to

Code: Select all

[Pilot]
;mesh index, angle, speed, behavior
6, 32, 2, 1
9, 32, 2, 2
40, 32, 2, 1
42, 32, 2, 1
Meshes 40 and 42 are the other Droid heads, but the behaviour is wrong in each, the behaviour need to be changed from 2 to 1 as shown above

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:10 am

My version of ddraw will automatically apply a glass material to any texture that has transparency. This material will produce a bright white specular reflection at certain angles, making areas that should otherwise be transparent quite obvious. If this doesn't happen with Jeremy's ddraw, then yes, it's just a problem with the material files. These textures have to be marked as "Shadeless = 1" in their .mat files.

However, for this specific case, I think I'm going to need to add more code in ddraw to handle these different flight groups. Sorry, but I still don't know very well how to select individual FGs. Only that they require a custom mission and then I need to modify something in an .INI file.