[SOLVED] Issues with x52 Pro (not game related)

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

[SOLVED] Issues with x52 Pro (not game related)

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:07 am

I know that this is most likely a long shot but maybe someone had this issue before, or has better google-fu than I do.

I have an x52 Pro from Saitek (now Logitech) that comes with a software that let's you program the buttons. Unfortunately that no longer appears to work. The buttons themselves do work, I can use them as simply joystick buttons or use JoyToKey to map keyboard keys to it. Unfortunately that is very limiting and the original software would allow for much more freedom. (There are three layers that can be activated plus a shift-key that let's you assign two commands to each key)

I can load and assign the profile to the Joystick, it shows the commands in the display, but for some reason Windows does not appear to recognize the button presses. (Neither does the 'Test' field in the profile editor) I tried uninstalling the drivers, a different USB-port, using the original Saitek drivers, reinstalling the Logitech drivers, nothing works :( As it is right now it's sorta okay and usable, but I would love to get the original setup working again. (I had it working on my old Windows 10 installation, so it can work...)

So in case anybody else has any idea what I could do to solve or at least further troubleshoot the issue would be highly appreciated.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

capitanguinea
Galactic Empire

Post by capitanguinea » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:16 am

What your joystick have is a programmable rom which set the signal in the serial port in an ascii map to emulate keybord value and so on. Modern usb port do not support the same range of clock of old ones, meaning that if you use that joystick on usb 2.5+ type port your pc would get only gibberish which cannot read. You could modify the rom with a quicker one or simply use an external usb hub to regolate the signal clock

Forceflow

Post by Forceflow » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:18 am

It did work previously on my old PC. And I am pretty sure I did have it connected to a USB2 port at one time, but I'll give it another try.

capitanguinea
Galactic Empire

Post by capitanguinea » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:28 am

Old pc, another os, another drive... that is a long way in compatibility for a machine. Remember windows 8.1 and successive are terrible when you come to porting old hardware because are practically programmed by drunk monkeys who do not know a thing and do not care about retrocompatibility
Last edited by capitanguinea on Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Forceflow

Post by Forceflow » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:41 am

Well, the 'old' PC wasn't that old and it was already running Windows 10. The USB3 could be an issue though, I did some more searching and I think I need to completely clean the installation and drivers and start a new install. There I think I'll just try with a USB2 to see if it works. I vaguely remember reading about USB3 issues when I set it up on my old PC.

Forceflow

Post by Forceflow » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:23 am

Yeah... so I just retried and my PC crashed when attempting to install the driver. Had the same thing happen to me before, though strangely enough later on it did work. (Minus the keystrokes of course) Though stupid me had id connected to the USB3 port again. So I have to clean the system yet again and retry. Though that will take a while. Did get a memory.dmp out of it, though that doesn't really tell me much.

m0rgg
XWAU Member

Post by m0rgg » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:59 pm

Maybe stupid question: do you use the Steam version of the game?
They introduced some "controller layer" that broke joystick/wheel support for some of my games.
Check the properties of the game in Steam, make sure the controller related option is set to "Force off".

Cheers!

Forceflow

Post by Forceflow » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:05 am

It's not a game related issue, the key-presses are already not registered in Windows. Normally once you program it you can type in any Windows application with it. For some reason ever since my new Windows install this doesn't work anymore. Though I do have an idea. When capitanguinea mentioned USB3 I remembered that there was a known issue with it. I just didn't get around to trying it again. For that I first need to clean up all drivers and uninstall the Logitech stuff first. Then I need to start the installation and wait until it asks me to connect the Joystick. This time I should just use the USB2 connector and not the USB3 connector again like I did yesterday... :kopfwand:

Forceflow

Post by Forceflow » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:50 pm

Oh man... it was an unsigned or not properly signed driver by Logitech. I actually had to deactivate the check for signed drivers and then it worked.
Works perfectly with USB3 as well then... That took me a couple of hours to setup. Though now I can finally use a lot more functions in the game :)