Help on new install

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

Help on new install

ScarletLeader
Recruit

Post by ScarletLeader » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:31 pm

First, congratulations and thank you for a wonderful project! Very excited to get it working on my machine and show my kids what I played when I was their age. To that end, appreciate your help to get me running!
My system: Win7 64-bit, 16GB RAM, GTX970 graphics, usual resolution 2560x1440. I dug out the old installation CD's but have never tried them on this machine.

I started with a clean install of XWA game from the CD disks using an modified disk 1 .iso per instructions of X-Wing_Alliance_MSI_V1.0.0.0
Run Xwingalliance.exe – it runs! Version shows 2.02a. I was able to watch cutscene, get to home screen and fly a mission. Issues: changing display settings did nothing and when I closed out of the program then reloaded, it forced me to the create new pilot screen and did not remember any setting changes.

Pushed on to install XWAUpgrade XWAUCP_v1.6 using disks. Selected the 1920x1080 graphics and did not change which packages were installed.
Right away ran the XWAUCP_Patch_v1.0 18/08/2020 with no issues.
I have not installed any other modules but instead tried to launch.

First, clicked the desktop shortcut to the Launcher which points to Alliance.exe – no response.
Then from LucasArts folder ran Xwingalliance.exe - screen went black with error:
DeviceResources::OnSizeChanged
CreateDxgiSurfaceRenderTarget
No such interface supported
-then-
DirectDraw Init Failed at 2
OK and closed.

I un-installed and re-installed the XWAUCP_v1.6 a second time, with 1600x1200 graphics, then the 18/Aug patch, and got the same result.
To this point, I had never run the xwahacker, so I downloaded and ran xwahacker-gui-0.32-win which gave me a gui window. I wasn't sure what to change so I just changed one resolution to 1920x1080 and saved. Same result.
Again, thank you in advance! Need to know if i troubleshoot the original install with the issues of not saving the pilot or settings? Or if there is an issue setting up my resolution.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:54 pm

If it forced you to create a new pilot that's normally because one isn't loaded or the Config file is missing.
I think you are best going back to a full XWA install and make sure the game works ok before going onto XWAU.
Don't touch XWA Hacker as that will only confuse any troubleshooting help for now.
When installing XWAUCP make sure you select if you use the CD option or digital stores.

If you do all that and still get issues post a log of the crash from the Event Viewer. Thanks :)
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:22 pm

Hello,
You can check that the "config.cfg" file is not marked as read only. When a config file is marked as read only, the game can't write the new settings when they are modified and will re-run with the initial settings.

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:37 pm