[Help] Troubleshoot Sound Cutting Out

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

[Help] Troubleshoot Sound Cutting Out

crono141
Recruit

Post by crono141 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:35 am

Hey All,

First, good gravy! I am ever astounded by the work people do for free, for the passion of a game 20+ years old, to recreate it with new models, lighting, and even VR. I am amazed.

Second, this is an issue with Xwing alliance in general I suppose. I have terrible problems with the sound just completely cutting out. Not once a mission. Not at the start or end of a mission. Every 5 seconds (or so) in a mission. Sound will cut out for about 1 second. Its maddening. I've been trying to fix it for the last hour or so, with no luck.

Here's my setup:
Steam Version of XWA.
AMD Zen 2 3600 CPU
AMD 5700xt, HDMI Audio.
32 gb Ram. Windows 10.
Hooked up to TV via HDMI, sound passes through via Optical to sound bar. Its a bit of a living room setup.

Here's what I've tried:
3D positional audio on/off. No Change.
Sound Channels: 8, 16, 32. Might have improved the problem when I switched to 8, but not very much
Set Affinity/Runfirst. Didn't help
Compatibility Mode: Win98 fails to launch.

Unfortunately, the only guy who seemed to have the exact same problem as me posted about it in 2015 on the GOG forums, and solved it by changing his audio out from HDMI to standard speakers, which isn't really an option for me for just one game.

Has anyone else ever encountered this behavior and found a way to fix it?

EDIT: Oh, I almost forgot. This behavior is exactly the same even with vanilla X-Wing Alliance install.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:51 pm

Sorry we aren't aware of that issue. Sounds like the setup you may have.
See if it happens with simple speakers or headphones.
And if that fix posted was the only way to sort it then it probably is
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Porkins_BB
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Porkins_BB » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:51 am

Crono,

Just a thought, but perhaps its not a sound issue after all. I had choppy sounds or lagging sound during the cutscenes, menus, and concourse animations, but not during gameplay. I resolved this by disabling the VSYNC graphic option in the ddraw.cfg file and through my ATI graphics manager. Once I did that, the sound and animations ran smoothly.

If it is a sound issue, try some trouble shooting. Instead of running it through your TV or an Optical sound bar, just disconnect those and plug in a headset or desktop speaker. See if that makes a difference. If it doesn't, then its some kind of software issue, not hardware.