[BUG] Major framerate drop when camera goes past suns.

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

[BUG] Major framerate drop when camera goes past suns.

ZoSo
Recruit

Post by ZoSo » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:14 am

Hi I"ve been really enjoying this mod, everything seems to work fine except when I'm in the middle of dogfights I get huge lag and framerate drops always when my camera pans past a sun. For example when I'm chasing a fighter and while i'm turning, if theres a sun in my view it goes insane with lag. I can have multiple ships on screen and everything is fine but as soon as I look at that sun its time for lag. I have tried disabling bluemax (which actually just ended up destroying the game files) I have tried disabling the suns effect on babufriks config and disabled pretty much every effect there is and I still get the lag. I am currently doing a clean install and seeing if it happens in plain vanilla but I think no matter what if the mod is installed the lag will happen at a sun. I am trying to find values to tweak in the SSAO file but does anyone know of one specifically that would help to change for suns? Thanks.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:05 pm

Are you 100% you're experiencing lag? The reason I ask is that the Suns tend to be positioned at the poles (straight "up" or straight "down") and this game suffers from gimbal lock so you can't look in those directions. When panning past the poles, the joystick feels like it's "stuck", so maybe that's what you're experiencing.

Another thing you can do is to disable the effects in Babu Frik (although it sounds like you already tried that). And yes, you can try the vanilla install as well.