XWA returning to desktop

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

XWA returning to desktop

Gringlas
XWAU Member

Post by Gringlas » Sun Dec 30, 2001 8:15 pm

Hokay here is my problem. <BR>I have a PIII 450, 192 MB, Voodo 3 3000 AGP 16MB (driver 1.07 (must be the latest one, right?), Win ME, XWA 2.02 (MIP Mapping deactivated, 800x600) with XWAU (all up released ships up to now). <BR>After playing a while it almost everytime returns to the desktop in campaign missions. <BR>When running old WIN 98 I haven't had such an error. Can anyone help?

Face
Lieutenant JG

Post by Face » Mon Dec 31, 2001 9:02 am

When you have installed some new ships over old one and they doesn't work and they are in a campain or mission XWA crashes and put you to your desktop (sometimes the color from desktop changes)
Commander of Phantom squadron<P>Pilot of Grandadmiral Thrawns 3.Fleet on ISD I Prodigium

Gringlas
XWAU Member

Post by Gringlas » Mon Dec 31, 2001 11:25 am

I give it a try, but when starting a mission with the XWAU crafts, they work alright. Just after a while, the game quits.

Face
Lieutenant JG

Post by Face » Mon Dec 31, 2001 11:40 am

That is strange... <BR>Crashed it down at the same time in a mission?<BR>I had this problem one times - I flew in a mission and then happens something and XWA crashed down. I don't know what you can do. <BR>Is it in an original mission/campaign from XWA or is it a custom one?
Commander of Phantom squadron<P>Pilot of Grandadmiral Thrawns 3.Fleet on ISD I Prodigium

General Edor Crespin
Galactic Empire

Post by General Edor Crespin » Mon Dec 31, 2001 1:01 pm

Hm, I had/have the same problem that Face had. What I did to fix it was I always create a backup of the five main files before installing a new ship. If it works, I create a backup again, overwriting the last one and if not, I either try to fix what's wrong or stick the backups back in.<P>Anyway. I did have that problem a while ago, but I can't remember what I did to fix it. I stuck my current backup back, and that seemed to fix it, but I don't know the specific cause of the problem. Sorry..<P>------------------<BR>"I am not the last of the old, nor the first of the new. I am that is."<P>AIM me @ <B>MIDI Master Jade</B>
IN THE WAKE OF FEDERATION THERE AROSE EMPIRE

Gringlas
XWAU Member

Post by Gringlas » Mon Dec 31, 2001 2:45 pm

No it doesn't crash at the same time in a mission. I have had this problem with custom missions and original ones. <BR>I try to reinstall it and play it without XWAU.<P>Thanks, anyway!

Whacked566
Recruit

Post by Whacked566 » Wed Jan 02, 2002 3:51 am

Something similar to this problem happens to my x wing alliance game. Whenever a ship explodes, no matter if I'm in a campaign or simulator mission, the game dissapears, returning me to the desktop. I have Windows XP, and I think that is what the problem is. This never happened when I ran the game with win 98. I have the 2.02 patch installed also.

Firestorm
Recruit

Post by Firestorm » Thu Jan 03, 2002 4:08 pm

Yeah i have that problem too but it's only during big objects or medium objects.<P>Small fighter explosions work just fine but when a star destroyer blows up or the falcon blows up the game simple crashes.<P>I have Win2k and i tried setting the compatability to 98 and 95. Maybe it has something to do with NT problems.

Firestorm
Recruit

Post by Firestorm » Fri Jan 04, 2002 11:03 pm

hmm i fixed the problem too. I just cleaned the CD and then reinstalled it. Now everything works fine.

Satsujinki
Recruit

Post by Satsujinki » Sat Jan 05, 2002 6:41 am

I have the same problem under win 98, There seems to be no trigger for it, it just happens, some times it freezes rather than quits out, and I have to reboot.

Red5
Recruit

Post by Red5 » Sat Jan 12, 2002 5:52 am

Hey,<BR>I have a similar problem. I have win98 and hardware is: Intel Celeron Processor and an<BR>ATI Xpert 98 Graphics Card. It worked fine when we used the grapics card that came with the computer, but now we put in new card and game won't work. I have tried to switch them back which didn't work. But I have heard either I should re-install the newest version of Direct-X(http://www.microsoft.com/directx) and/or get the latest graphics drivers (http://www.atitech.com)<BR>Any Help With This would be appreciated. Thanks.<BR><P>------------------<BR>

Red5
Recruit

Post by Red5 » Sat Jan 12, 2002 5:54 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Red5:<BR><B>Hey,<BR>I have a similar problem. I have win98 and hardware is: Intel Celeron Processor and an<BR>ATI Xpert 98 Graphics Card. It worked fine when we used the grapics card that came with the computer, but now we put in new card and game won't work. I have tried to switch them back which didn't work. But I have heard either I should re-install the newest version of Direct-X(http://www.microsoft.com/directx) and/or get the latest graphics drivers (http://www.atitech.com)<BR>Any Help With This would be appreciated. Thanks.<P><BR></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>forgot to say I have XWA 2.02, 160 MB of RAM and have not installed any of the XWAU ships.