Screwed up Computer

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

Screwed up Computer

Abolisher
XWAU Member

Post by Abolisher » Tue Sep 18, 2001 11:23 pm

As many of you know, I had a new computer built with many problems along the way. Well the last time it went in, it was usless because I couldn't install software without the computer freezing up and becoming inoperable except in Safe Mode. Now the computer works but it is very unstable and very buggy.<P>Here is a list of my problems:<P>X-wing Alliance launches and plays fine after a restart. However, when I exit the game, the screen turns blue with the following error message:<P><B>A fatal exception OE has occurred at 0028:C0006E7E in VXD VMM(01) + 00005E7E. The current application will be terminated.</B><P>When I try to launch XWA again, either the launch window freezes as soon as I click "Play X-wing Alliance" or the game launches with no sound. I should note that after the above error, no applications in my computer have sound. However, a restart gets my sound back. I shouldn't have to restart my computer everytime I play XWA! That means I have to restart my computer everytime I test changes I have made to a mission!<P>My joystick connection is also very buggy. I doesn't matter what game I play, at random times, my computer arbitrarily decides to not recognize the joystick by prompting me that it is not connected. I fix the problem by unplugging the joystick and plugging it back in again. WTF? I shouldn't have to do that!<P>Another problem, I can't do a simple scandisk on my Zip disks. My computer locks up every time.<P>My last problem. I have a CD-RW that I backed up all of my XWA editing on. I stick that CD-RW into the CD-RW drive of my new computer and it says there are no files on it?!? WTF? It's the same drive that was in my old computer. Of course with my old computer, it <I>did</I> recognize the files on that CD-RW.<P>Between lock-ups and other random errors, I am constantly restarting my computer to get anything done. None of this shit happened with my old HP computer.<P>I will <B>never</B> have a custom computer built again. My next computer <B>will</B> be from a reliable manufacturer like HP.<P>*end of rant*<P>Any suggestions to fix some/all of these problems?
This message brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department.<P><A HREF="http://abolisher.xwlegacy.net/" TARGET=_blank> Abolisher's Mission Command Outpost</A>

The_Edge
Recruit

Post by The_Edge » Wed Sep 19, 2001 2:05 pm

Abolisher,<BR>I can't give an accurate fix for your problems because you havn't given any system specs. What OS etc..? :/<BR>From my guess be really brave, do a complete format and reinstall. As you may fix one prob and invariably come across another! <P>This maybe extreme but from experience it saves time in the long run instead of tearing your hair out trying to narrow it down..<P>hope this helps?<P>Edge

Abolisher
XWAU Member

Post by Abolisher » Thu Sep 20, 2001 3:02 am

My OS is Windows 98, First Edition.<P>I had a complete reformat done twice at the computer shop. The problems I have now are nothing compared to what I had before. However, these problems are annoying enough to warrant seeking a solution.
This message brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department.<P><A HREF="http://abolisher.xwlegacy.net/" TARGET=_blank> Abolisher's Mission Command Outpost</A>