Networking question & a unix question

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

Networking question & a unix question

JC
XWAU Member

Post by JC » Tue Oct 23, 2001 6:01 am

Can you put two network cards (NIC) into one computer and get them to do separate tasks?<P>What I want is my cable modem to work (has an automatically assigned IP) and also the LAN (with a static IP I assign to each computer).<P>At the moment I only can have one or the other. It's not hard to change, but I find it annoying to have to change stuff manually and reboot.<P>Oh, and how do you ping another computer via a Unix terminal?

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Tue Oct 23, 2001 2:50 pm

Well, it would be helpful to know what OS you're running, but basically it's no problem to hav two NICs in your PC. I do this here at home. (For pretty much the sdame reason that you do) It's really convenient. And I had no choice, since the PC here actually routes the whole LAN into the WAN.<BR>I suggest to get Win 2000 for it though. (Or if you know what you're doing a Linux version of course)<P>As for the ping, dunno, try 'ping IP#'<P>------------------<BR>Murphy was an optimist!<BR><B>I</B> am a pessimist!<BR>Webmaster of the <A HREF="http://www.xwaupgrade.com" TARGET=_blank>X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project</A>
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

JC
XWAU Member

Post by JC » Tue Oct 23, 2001 4:52 pm

Duh@me. <P>I'm using Windows 98:SE.

rogue518
XWAU Member

Post by rogue518 » Tue Oct 23, 2001 10:59 pm

Just to let you know, I also have (2) network cards (NIC) doing something different, 1) for my cable modem and 2) for the computers networked around the house. It works fine...<P>Sincerely, rogue518<p>[This message has been edited by rogue518 (edited 24 October 2001).]
'Stay in Attack formation!' Darth Vader aka: Anakin Skywalker During the 'Battle Of Yavin'