XWA and XP issue

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

XWA and XP issue

General Taskeen
Ensign

Post by General Taskeen » Mon Jan 07, 2002 8:36 pm

It seems XWA partially does not work on my brand new computer, I am assuming it is because of XP.<P>In the second prologue mission, it crashes after shooting the first container sending me back to the desktop.<P>Now, I have 2.02 so that is not the case, I even reinstalled XWA just to make sure, but it always crashes at the same spot.<P>I have the latest updates for XP and my video card.<P>System Specs:<P>DELL 1.7 GHz<BR>256 RAM<BR>80 GB Hard Drive<BR>GeForce 3 64 MB Ti 200<BR>DirectX 8.1<P>Note: All my other games work, even the old Jedi Knight and Mysteries of The Sith.. so I have no idea what could be the problem with X-Wing Alliance.<P>------------------<BR>I'll do virtually anything to ensure that the Alliance topples the Empire.
Jg26[Gj37]/|Taskeen<BR><A HREF="http://bf1942.battleforeurope.com" TARGET=_blank>BFE</A>

General Taskeen
Ensign

Post by General Taskeen » Tue Jan 08, 2002 5:16 pm

Hello???? Any help would be appreciated Image.<P>------------------<BR>I'll do virtually anything to ensure that the Alliance topples the Empire.
Jg26[Gj37]/|Taskeen<BR><A HREF="http://bf1942.battleforeurope.com" TARGET=_blank>BFE</A>

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Tue Jan 08, 2002 9:38 pm

Basically dont use XP!<P>Win 98se works great.<P>Little Moto, "Don't try to fix it, if it isn't broken.<P>In other words, don't bother to upgrade to XP, if 98 works fine.<P>98 is tried and tested, XP still has alot of bugs
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

General Taskeen
Ensign

Post by General Taskeen » Tue Jan 08, 2002 10:51 pm

I know, I know... but, it seems to be a rather different problem, it is always in the campaign during the missions at certain points.<P>Skirmish works fine, and never crashes. Right now, I am testing see if custom campaigns work.<P>Otherwise everything runs smoothly with every single XWAU craft, something I have never experienced before as I had a 333 MHz processor.<P>EDIT:<P>I fixed the problem. For future reference, anybody who has this particular problem on XP, just re-install DirectX.<P>------------------<BR>I'll do virtually anything to ensure that the Alliance topples the Empire.<p>[This message has been edited by General Taskeen (edited 09 January 2002).]

Mattman
Recruit

Post by Mattman » Sun Jan 13, 2002 1:08 am

I was having the exact same problem with that container... I even made a quick smirmish (me vs a container) and had the exact same problem there.<P>Anyway, I was able to correct the problem by reinstalling XWA on top of itself (didn't uninstall first) and reapply the 202 patch and XWAUP... Now it works fine.<P>It's not as satisfying as finding the problem itself, but at least it went away.<P>I have a question though. Have you installed / replaced any hardware in your machine since you installed XWA on xp? I just installed a new video card (geforce3 ti200) right before the problem started. I don't know if it's related, but perhaps XWA didn't recognize the change for whatever reason.<P>Hope this works for you as well...

General Taskeen
Ensign

Post by General Taskeen » Sun Jan 13, 2002 8:32 pm

No, I have not installed any new hardware. Everything is the same when I got it.<P>I fixed my XWA problem anyways, just by reinstalling DirectX 8.1.<P>------------------<BR>I'll do virtually anything to ensure that the Alliance topples the Empire.