Technical Difficulties . . .

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

Technical Difficulties . . .

Billy Shears
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Billy Shears » Sat Jan 26, 2002 3:01 pm

Ok, here's the deal: I recently got a new Gateway with XP, so I had to move all of my games onto this new one. I installed X-Wing, X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter, Balance of Power, and X-Wing Alliance alright, but for some reason, whenever I try to play TIE Fighter from the launcher, it keeps telling me that I have to install DirectX 5.2, even though XP comes with DirectX 8. So, I go to the install part, click re-install, then go back to the launcher and try again, but nothing happens. On the DirectX Setup screen, everything is certified except Direct3D (which says Not Installed) and Primary Display Driver (which says nothing).<P>Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
It was twenty years ago today...

Admiral Alistair
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Admiral Alistair » Sat Jan 26, 2002 3:15 pm

find the executable file for the game and go to the properties menu (right click, properties) then change the compatability settings for the game. If that doesn't work, make sure you have all the windows updates, especially the compatability fix one.<P>And as a last resort download DirectX from MS's site (the 2000/XP version) and install it.
Admiral Alistair

Billy Shears
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Billy Shears » Sat Jan 26, 2002 3:53 pm

Ok, I tried the compatibility wizard, but that didn't help. When I switched it to Windows 95 or 98, it said that I had no joystick (????). And right after I got this computer, I got all of those critical updates at microsoft's site, and there weren't any new ones taht I saw just now. So then I went to the DirectX site, and I went to DirectX 8.1, but it told me I didn't need to install it becuase it comes with XP. Oh well.<P>Thanks for helping, anyways.
It was twenty years ago today...

Admiral Alistair
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Admiral Alistair » Sat Jan 26, 2002 4:32 pm

I know I forgot to mention that it will say you don't need it.... I'd reinstall it anyways just to make sure everything is fine, I mean if you have things that aren't showing up in DXDIAG then that sounds like either a driver or DirectX issue.
Admiral Alistair

manofStele
Ensign

Post by manofStele » Sat Jan 26, 2002 11:55 pm

Check out <A HREF="http://www.ntcompatible.com/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.ntcompatible.com/</A> <P>It has info on getting games to work properly with Win2k and now WinXP. I was running Win2k before, but I quit solely because it wouldn't work with TIE Fighter. There was a checkbox with the Win2k compatability tools that made the game work though. I think it was posted on that site.<P>Win2k gave the same messages about DirectX and then I fixed it like you did, emulating Win98, but then whatever checkbox eliminated the joystick problem. Sorry I can't remember, but you can probably find it on that site.
"Wow... Stele, you're my hero!" -Defiant
manofstele@yahoo.com