INFO: Common graphic problems with XWA

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

Re: INFO: Common graphic problems with XWA

TomSmeagol
Recruit

Post by TomSmeagol » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:48 pm

Hi, and thanks to Reimar for the XWA patch--it works great for me!

Alas, I cannot say the same for X-Wing 95, TIE 95, and X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter Balance of Power.

I see that Reimar has added the otherfixes.txt file to the XWA Hacker archive, but there are no detailed instructions, and I have NO idea how to edit hex strings in a binary. Heck, I barely know what that even means. I did try with TIE95 and got a BSOD for my trouble, so I'm obviously not doing it right. So can Reimar or anyone else post detailed instructions on how to do it correctly? Or better yet, has Reimar or anyone written automated hack files like the one for XWA?

Many thanks!

Tom

Mod Action Trans
Recruit

Post by Mod Action Trans » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:11 am

Hi, just found your site after reinstalling XWA on my vista cpu, originally ran on a windows 98 cpu. Before I say anything, from the screenshots I have viewed, this project looks amazing and I can't wait to install it.

Anyway, I've been trying to decifer all the posts in this thread and I really haven't been able to figure out what to do. My problems all occur after I turn on the 3d option.

Problems-
1. hanger in each mission is full of black spots and if I move the mouse game crashes
2. mission is almost completely dark
3. objects dissapear randomly in mission but I can still target them
4. game crashes after flying around for 30-60 seconds

I have a ATI 2600HD Pro video card, 1.80GHz processor and my current display is 1152x864 (32bit), I have direct X 11 and I use windows vista. Please list out any solutions to these problems step by step. Thanks

Reimar
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Reimar » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:59 pm

TomSmeagol wrote: I see that Reimar has added the otherfixes.txt file to the XWA Hacker archive, but there are no detailed instructions, and I have NO idea how to edit hex strings in a binary. Heck, I barely know what that even means. I did try with TIE95 and got a BSOD for my trouble, so I'm obviously not doing it right. So can Reimar or anyone else post detailed instructions on how to do it correctly? Or better yet, has Reimar or anyone written automated hack files like the one for XWA?
While unfortunately I have no time for "hand-holding" you got lucky and I had a mostly working "universal" variant of xwahacker available.
Since you at least tried to get it done on your own I'll make the effort of uploading it :D
Notice the new files like tie95fixedclear.bat and xwing95fixedclear.bat
Note that the new version is not completely polished yet, so in some cases where it can't work anyway it might crash instead of giving a proper error message (e.g. when using the -c option with the TIE95 binary).
For developers: A GIT repository for this project is available here: http://natsuki.mplayerhq.hu/~reimar/xwahacker.git/
EDIT: I also have no time to make a version for the original, unpatched X-Wing Alliance binary. I can tell you that the file offsets relevant are probably 0x187a3d and 0x58866d, however a different compiler or different compiler options were used to build that version, resulting in more efficient code - which makes it harder to fix it.
EDIT2: updated readme.txt to include a description of the .bat files.
EDIT3: consider using the newer version from sourceforge.net, it can also change max. FPS and patch for X-Wing vs. TIE now works.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Reimar on Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TomSmeagol
Recruit

Post by TomSmeagol » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:00 pm

Reimar you rule! I'm going to test out the fixes as soon as I can (probably Monday--I work weekends) and let everyone know the results. :D

wingnerd
Recruit

Post by wingnerd » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:19 am

Has anyone had success running this game with and ATI RADEON 2600 XT ? The game runs, but only on software mode. When I try using the 3d card options, the game loads but the graphics are glitched. The HUD streaks to the upper left corner and the models are garbled. Can anyone help?

zacharypater
Recruit

Post by zacharypater » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:26 am

Reimar, thanks very much for the pach!!! Now my XWA works! You are a GOD!

Greetings from Argentina!!

TomSmeagol
Recruit

Post by TomSmeagol » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:00 am

Well, Reimar's new patch DID solve my X-WIng issues, but didn't solve my TIE Fighter and X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter problems. However, due to frustration I tried re-installing XP on a different HDD and got the same results (disappearing objects in XvT and TF). So, I think it is something with nvidia's newer drivers, because XvT and TF used to work in XP no problem. So thanks, Reimar, for all your work, but apparently nvidia has done me in. :P Stupid company for making newer hardware and making advanced drivers that break 15 year old games. ;)

BTW, I can run XvT and TF on Win7 if I turn off hardware acceleration, so *shrug* I can still play them. :D

Reimar
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Reimar » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:13 pm

TomSmeagol wrote:Well, Reimar's new patch DID solve my X-WIng issues, but didn't solve my TIE Fighter and X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter problems.
I never tested X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter, plus my patch is against the German version of Balance of Power.
However the patch for TIE Fighter is basically identical to the X-Wing one, and tested to work. So unless the problem is just with xwahacker or the .bat file it definitely should work (though I am quite confident that xwahacker will not fail without an error message, and I've just tested that as well and is seems to work, too).

whywhyme
Recruit

Post by whywhyme » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:25 am

Wow that is a lot of info to sift through.
But now xwing is working with 3d enabled, though tie fighter still doesn't. Maybe this info will help find a solution.
System specs: Vista home 64, e6750, 4 GB ram, nvidia 9600GT, asus p5nd mobo.
I have noticed that TF will work ok as long as there is no vessel to display in the hud, as soon as I target something the game gets super jumpy and a few seconds later will crash. If I target something and then remove the cockpit (.) jumpy-ness stops and everything is fine. It's like it can't render the same thing in 2 places or something.
Hope this is helpfull.
Thanks for all of the hard work.

TomSmeagol
Recruit

Post by TomSmeagol » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:17 pm

whywhyme wrote:Wow that is a lot of info to sift through.
But now xwing is working with 3d enabled, though tie fighter still doesn't. Maybe this info will help find a solution.
I have noticed that TF will work ok as long as there is no vessel to display in the hud, as soon as I target something the game gets super jumpy and a few seconds later will crash. If I target something and then remove the cockpit (.) jumpy-ness stops and everything is fine. It's like it can't render the same thing in 2 places or something.
Hope this is helpfull.
Thanks for all of the hard work.
This is exactly the symptoms I experience, even after running xwahacker on TF and XvT:BOP.

Javier Lopez
Ensign

Post by Javier Lopez » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:19 am

sorry for being pedantic ..
but i have readed the thread and i understand that there is no sollution for the missing target box thing?

is that correct?
Known as Sparrow<BR>Lores del Sith SQuadron.<BR>ICQ: 70084473

WildstarBlue9
Lieutenant Commander

Post by WildstarBlue9 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:29 pm

Javier, the "XWA Hacker" should take care of the target box thing, as well. Just make sure you're using current drivers for your graphics card. Let us know if it doesn't work, however.
Wildstar, Red 2 (XO) (Ret.)

Not the Wildstar that authored IMCGen.

Javier Lopez
Ensign

Post by Javier Lopez » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:07 pm

ok..ill give it a shot in my laptop's GF8400 ..

thanks and sorry for my pendantic questions :D
Known as Sparrow<BR>Lores del Sith SQuadron.<BR>ICQ: 70084473

VeritechCEO
Ensign

Post by VeritechCEO » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:22 am

Can someone explain how I use Reimer's patch? I've seen so many posts for this topic, that I'm a little confused.
What!?!? SDF-1 Destroyed the Death Star! We're out of here!
Veritech R&D Facility
The OPT Vault

Reimar
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Reimar » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:31 pm

whywhyme wrote:Wow that is a lot of info to sift through.
I am aware that there is a issue with the 3D display in the HUD, it it was only a very minor graphics corruption for me so I thought nothing of it.
However I tested using a ATI HD4850 card.
Has someone tested the TIE-Fighter patch with a ATI card? Or alternatively, has someone gotten patch TIE-Fighter to work with an NVidia card?
[Note that I only have a Atom-CPU system with Intel 945 graphics and Linux installed available so it's unlikely I'll provide fixes anytime soon]

WildstarBlue9
Lieutenant Commander

Post by WildstarBlue9 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:13 am

VeritechCEO, the download is linked in an earlier post on this page. The .zip file should have some sort of a read-me. :)

Recruit

Post by 1138 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:24 pm

Just a line to say a massive "thank you" to Reimar for his work on this fix. It is hugely appreciated.

I can confirm that the Tie 95 fix works with an ATI Radeon 4870, under Win XP.

However I am really stuck on getting X Wing v Tie fighter to work and I love that game... I have tried hex editing the exe in accordnace with Reimar's instructions but it hasn't worked and to be honest it is a bit beyond my skills. Using a DOS style interface brought back some memories though!

Can anyone help? This forum is my only hope!!

Thanks

loonygamers
Recruit

Post by loonygamers » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:42 am

Hello,

I went through the forum to see if I was the only one to have a graphical bug: the loss of display.

At first no problem:
http://tof.canardpc.com/view/87b6720c-b ... 99b241.jpg

If I move my head
http://tof.canardpc.com/view/022be754-8 ... 664b26.jpg

Then I lose the entire display:
http://tof.canardpc.com/view/fadef700-7 ... 41ee0e.jpg

I installed X-Wing Alliance already patched to 2.02, I have the bug.
With the upgrade, it's best but I still have the bug.

My graphics card drivers are updated. Windows 7 32-bit, intel I5 750, Ati 4870 1GB.
Maybe he should change the graphics setting in the game? The mipmap on or off, no difference.

In advance thank you for your help.

Ol
Rebel Alliance

Post by Ol » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:32 pm

Just reinstalled XWA for a playthrough and got all the draw errors. Installed Reinar's patch and it's fixed. So I wanted to say thankyou so much to Reinar for letting me play one of my favourite games all these years down the line.

loonygamers
Recruit

Post by loonygamers » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:39 am

Ol wrote:Just reinstalled XWA for a playthrough and got all the draw errors. Installed Reinar's patch and it's fixed. So I wanted to say thankyou so much to Reinar for letting me play one of my favourite games all these years down the line.
Thank you, but where to find this Reinar's patch?

EDIT: ok it's reiMar et no reiNar. I test tonigh. Thank

Bigy
Recruit

Post by Bigy » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:03 am

yes i just reinstalled xwa and all the ships from the download, i go to play and i dont see anything i the shipveiwer or in the game, i see the ties in the targer display but not out side the cockpit, or do i not see lasers.

Black_Knight
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Black_Knight » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:08 pm

Just wanted to add my two bits here - I had just installed the entire XWing series on my Windows 7 64bit for the first time. Got those graphical dark spot glitches in each game (with 3d enabled) on my ATI 4850 card. Haven't tried this thread's patch, but I tried swapping out video cards and now the black blotches are gone and the games are running fairly smooth. Some weird lag in the opening LA logo and switching to the menu in XWA, but in game is fine... The card I am using now is an nVidia GTX295 with the latest drivers (196.21). Maybe they added older game support back in? I can't explain why its working now...

a1adin
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by a1adin » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:57 am

Hi Guys,

Running into your site by accident brings me many old memories so that I want to play xwa again.
Alas, I can not make xwa runs properly on my recent computer,
my targetting box always changes to this strange thing:

I use window xp sp2 and GeForce 9600 GT.
I have applied the 2.02 patch, the font fix, and finally the reimar patch (fixedclear.bat & xwahacker.exe.)
I have installed 196.21 driver.
However, the problem remains.

Please let me know what did I do wrong and how to fix it.
Thanks.

With warmest regards,

Al

Mahd
Recruit

Post by Mahd » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:12 pm

Hello pilots,
I have problems with xwa fonts when i active antialiasing :

Anyone know how to correct that ?

I have an ATI RAdeon HD 4800 running on windows 7 with the latest drivers (i use the reimar patch) and tested the font for nvidia card.

Thanks.

WildstarBlue9
Lieutenant Commander

Post by WildstarBlue9 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:11 am

Mahd, do a Google search for "X-Wing Alliance font fix"...the patches have been well-documented, but the result to look for comes from lucasfiles.com (indeed, you may want to limit the search to site:www.lucasfiles.com) :)