INFO: Common graphic problems with XWA

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

Re: INFO: Common graphic problems with XWA

bondan
Cadet 4th Class

Post by bondan » Wed May 25, 2011 7:59 pm

Hi, everyone! I can't solve a problem with using antialiasing mode in XWA. When I turn it on in Nvidia Control panel everything in the game's world starts to multiply itself and the whole picture spreads all over the screen. Looks like a very bad paining))) How can I fix it and play with antialiasing on my Nvidia 9600GT and with the latest drivers? Thanks in advance.

SuperDre
Cadet 4th Class

Post by SuperDre » Thu May 26, 2011 7:34 am

bondan wrote:Hi, everyone! I can't solve a problem with using antialiasing mode in XWA. When I turn it on in Nvidia Control panel everything in the game's world starts to multiply itself and the whole picture spreads all over the screen. Looks like a very bad paining))) How can I fix it and play with antialiasing on my Nvidia 9600GT and with the latest drivers? Thanks in advance.
I think you mean you are activating the Hardware 3D mode? if you are on XP you're out of luck, there is NO way to fix it other then reverting back to very VERY old nvidia drivers.. The only way I solved it was by upgrading to Windows 7...

Seagull84
Recruit

Post by Seagull84 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:03 am

Reimar's patch worked perfectly for my HD5700 in Win 7 x64, only there's one problem:

Only the left half of the star field appears. The right half of the star field is black. Anyone know how to activate the right side?

Edit: Nevermind, re-applied the 32bitmode patch and now it looks right. I was wondering why the starts were purple and green...

Sekir
Recruit

Post by Sekir » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:30 am

Hello there!

I registered here after all those years I am watching your excellent work!
But now, I have to tell a BIG GREAT THANK YOU to Reimar for creating XWA Hacker! I did not play XWA for a looooooong time because of the rendering problem. Now, I can use it fully, and thank you again for the resolution change opportunity. Now, it runs on 1920x1080 and it looks gorgeous! Even without the ship upgrades. This will be the next step!

So, Thank you again to Reimar and all to you!

Sekir

TRA_WingMan
Recruit

Post by TRA_WingMan » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:27 pm

Thx Wildstar that helped me.
WildstarBlue9 wrote:
Someone on one of my other forums solved the black squares in 3D acceleration problem (and it may solve other problems as well) by downloading ddraw.dll (the DirectDraw support file from earlier versions of DirectX) and placing it in the same folder as the game's executable (it should work for every Windows game in the series). http://www.jkhub.net/project/get.php?id=1804 should take you to the download.

CrisGer
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by CrisGer » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:48 pm

http://www.xwaupgrade.com/phpBB3008/dow ... .php?id=98

that is the working link for Reimars great fix, thanks so much.
Director and Lead Admin
3D World and Game Developers Group LInkedin
"We Build Worlds"

Reimar
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Reimar » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:21 pm

Seagull84 wrote:Reimar's patch worked perfectly for my HD5700 in Win 7 x64, only there's one problem:

Only the left half of the star field appears. The right half of the star field is black. Anyone know how to activate the right side?

Edit: Nevermind, re-applied the 32bitmode patch and now it looks right. I was wondering why the starts were purple and green...
Just to clarify for everyone: That will happen if you applied an older version of the patch. The starfield is drawn in a rather special way (similarly to the menu really) and I had some trouble making it work with 32 bit. It still won't be completely exactly identical to 16 bit but it's at a level where I doubt anyone will care :D
Still wished the menu wasn't broken, but fixing that isn't realistic unfortunately. Originally I had the best hopes for using the Wine/Linux combination to make it work better, but getting fixes for such old games in there seems about as promising as hoping for NVidia or ATI to fix their driver bug with ancient games.

FrutigerSans
Recruit

Post by FrutigerSans » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:55 am

Hi All,

Thanks for the work in helping to keep XWA alive on latest systems and OS.

Unfortunately despite trying out most of the fixes in this thread i've not been able to run XWA.
I can access the lounge and the main menu just fine, but everytime I launch a mission, the game crashed with the usual error message:
"Xwing Alliance has stopped running"
-Check Online for a solution
-Close the Program

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: XWingAlliance.exe
Application Version: 2.0.0.2
Application Timestamp: 3765a9b7
Fault Module Name: XWingAlliance.exe
Fault Module Version: 2.0.0.2
Fault Module Timestamp: 3765a9b7
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000d34eb
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 3ac7
Additional Information 2: 3ac7b95e5273afc4a91adb0208cac5b3
Additional Information 3: 2681
Additional Information 4: 2681ab590962a9a1529662a5149ac0f2

I've already tried Reimar's Xwahacker.exe,
using the 32bitmode.bat and fixedclear.bat.

Have tried copying the supposedly working version of ddraw.dll into the XWA dir.

Anything else I can try? Any help will be much appreciated!

Here's my system specs

Win 7 32x SP1
Intel 2.2ghz i7
AMD HD6750 running 11.6 drivers
8BG RAM

JinKazama16
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by JinKazama16 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:39 am

just one question does the fix also works on a ATI R6870 Hawk? cause i can't test it right now, i took my video card back to the store were i bought it, for replacement cause i'm having problems with it, causes my screen to flicker and split the screen in half (^_^) after i'm done playing some games
Han Solo: She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself.

WarHawkster
Lieutenant JG

Post by WarHawkster » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:03 pm

I keep getting 'xwahacker' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
Press any key to continue . . .

every time i try the bat file. extracted all files into the directory, even tried extracting them all to desktop as well as the xwingalliance.exe like it says in the new readme. no luck!

Kirejara
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Kirejara » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:32 pm

Hi,

I have just installed XWA and XvT on my new PC, to discover that my graphic card (ATI Radeon HD5500) is working on every game except XWA and XvT. :motz:

I will try Reimar´s patch (Thanks!). Otherwise I will have to restore an older predecessor of my current PC (AMD500 with Voodoo2 graphic under Win98). :?

Kirejara
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Kirejara » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:26 am

It works!

XWA is running thanks to Reimar´s patch! :D

Unfortunatly I was unable to patch XvT: Balance of Power, as I don´t understand the workprocess in the included "otherfixes.txt" (My knowledge of the english language is... limited). Where I have to change the listed numbers? :hilfe:

Thanks!

Reimar
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Reimar » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:20 pm

The process for XvT is exactly the same (ok, you have to click on the bopfixedclear.bat instead of fixedclear.bat).
Make sure you use the latest version of xwahacker from sourceforge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/xwahacker/files/).

Kirejara
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Kirejara » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:35 pm

Hello Reimar,

in the xwahacker.zip I had downloaded was bobfixedclear.bat not included. I tried your new version and got this error message while executing bobfixedclear: http://up.picr.de/8618122xal.jpg :?

Maybe I have so much changes in my BoP (english version, lots of changed ships and I have installed Draconis patch a long time ago), that your programm did not recognize it anymore. :/

I will make a fresh install and than try your programm again. I will report any results.

Thanks for your help!

Kirejara
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Kirejara » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:44 pm

Hello once again,

same error with a fresh installation of XvT with BoP (English Version). :?

However, in otherfixes.txt is writen "Z_XVT__.EXE German, Balance of Power, untested". My versions (both XvT and BoP are in english language. Could that be the problem? Then yes, how could I solve it? :hilfe:

Thanks!

Javier Lopez
Ensign

Post by Javier Lopez » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:03 pm

The patch is as easy as execute it and thats it?
Known as Sparrow<BR>Lores del Sith SQuadron.<BR>ICQ: 70084473

Kirejara
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Kirejara » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:26 am

Javier Lopez wrote:The patch is as easy as execute it and thats it?
I know that! ;)

I have used it successful on XWA, but the XvT:BoP-Variant does not work on my XvT:BoP (as I have posted before). And I want to figure out why, so that I can patch that one too.

Have You successfully used the XvT:BoP-Patch?

Thanks!

Javier Lopez
Ensign

Post by Javier Lopez » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:05 am

Kirejara wrote:
Javier Lopez wrote:The patch is as easy as execute it and thats it?
I know that! ;)

I have used it successful on XWA, but the XvT:BoP-Variant does not work on my XvT:BoP (as I have posted before). And I want to figure out why, so that I can patch that one too.

Have You successfully used the XvT:BoP-Patch?

Thanks!
No.. i havent used yet.. i asked for curiosity and because i will probably have to apply it in a newer setup soon :D

Kirejara
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Kirejara » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:21 am

Sorry, I missed the questionmark in your first post and misinterpreted it. :gott:

The patch is simply klick on the Bat-file and thats it. Very easy on XWA (but unfortunatly not on XvT).

Reimar
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Reimar » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:41 pm

Kirejara wrote: same error with a fresh installation of XvT with BoP (English Version). :?

However, in otherfixes.txt is writen "Z_XVT__.EXE German, Balance of Power, untested". My versions (both XvT and BoP are in english language. Could that be the problem? Then yes, how could I solve it? :hilfe:
Sure it "could" be the problem. Or it could be something else.
Did you manage to patch the Z_XVT__.EXE binary for XvT (after installing BoP)?
You can check if the number sequence xwahacker tries to replace is just at some other location, but that is very unlikely to work (since it contains memory offsets that would in such a case differ, too).
Otherwise I'd have to get access to your version somehow. And I am not sure that "English Version" is specific enough, there might be US and UK versions that differ.

Kirejara
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Kirejara » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:13 pm

Hello Reimar,

the patch xvtfixedclear.bat works, but XvT itselfs crashed immediately after entering a mission. The 3d-exterior is only visible for one or two seconds. The basic game was however very problematic and erratic bevor (unlike the expansion BoP). :?

Writing on box and the cd are except of the title completly in german language from Funsoft ("Englische Version von X-WING VS. TIE Fighter wird benötigt"). But the game on the cd itself is in english language. I found no indication if it is based on the UK- or US-Version.
Otherwise I'd have to get access to your version somehow.
You have got a PN.

Thanks!

Kirejara
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Kirejara » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:18 pm

Once more thanks to Reimar for his help!

The latest version of XWAHACKER works with original BoP in english language and BoP with the Draconis Ship Patch (SP3.50) in english language without any problems! One click and it is done.

Great work! ;)

Bernhardt
Recruit

Post by Bernhardt » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:57 pm

Hello

Do I understand correctly that there is no hope for me?

WINXP NVIDIA GEFORCE 450

So many times reported problem, when 3D rendering is on, all graphics go haywire in flight view (it somehow compresses graphics into upper left corner of view).

I tried ddraw.dll, xwahacker.exe and all possible tampering with G card.

Really? No hope?...

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:02 pm

There is hope, buy an ATI card instead!!
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

Javier Lopez
Ensign

Post by Javier Lopez » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:36 pm

Darksaber wrote:There is hope, buy an ATI card instead!!
Do today ATI cards work ok with XWA?