Many thanks for your hard work (especially the 19km SSD!)

In here you can discuss what is going on in the project, offer help, praise or critique!

Many thanks for your hard work (especially the 19km SSD!)

Su-tehp
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Su-tehp » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:16 pm

First time poster here. For the record, I tried playing Alliance back when it came out, but the whole 1/3 throttle to increase maneuverability thing ruined the game for me. I had loved X-Wing and especially TIE Fighter (thank the gawds for all those anti-frustration measures in TIE Fighter; those really made it a better game than X-Wing), but I just couldn't get into Alliance or XvT because of this then-new maneuverability mechanic. It didn't help that I had a crappy joystick that didn't include programmable buttons. I couldn't afford one because they were ridiculously expensive in 1999 ($200+ for a joystick??? Nuts to you!).

But when I found out that Steam was having a summer sale of all of their old Star Wars games, I went to town and got all the old Star Wars games (X-wing series, Jedi Knight series, KOTOR series, Empire at War and Republic Commando) as well as all the Half-life games, the Thief games and both Portal games. I wound up getting about 30 (yes, 30!) games for only $120 total. I made out like a bandit!

And this time around I needed a joystick to play the X-Wing games and I got myself a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro for only $30 from Best Buy. It was the only joystick available in the entire store; I guess flight sims aren't as popular as they once were, huh? Quelle surprise. But it's by far the best joystick I ever had and the programmable buttons are soooo useful, especially for the 1/3 throttle maneuverability mechanic I found so problematic. This is the joystick I wish I had back in 1999.

So I played through X-Wing and TIE Fighter and got to Alliance. I remember seeing this website on and off through the years and really admiring your work at making all the ships in Alliance look amazing. I figured I'd take the chance of installing the upgrade and seeing how it looked in game. Imagine my amazement when I didn't have any problems dealing with installation at all! (I was expecting at least a few bugs; I had to finagle a few files to get X-Wing and TIE Fighter working right after my Steam installation so I was expecting a fanmade mod to be at least as slightly wonky.) And then I played a skirmish to see if the SSD really did look 19km long. Not only did it really look that long, the model was more detailed than I could ever have imagined! Flying along the SSD superstructure was flat out incredible. (I wasn't expecting the SSD to be able to rotate as fast as it did; that made flying along the superstructure a bit problematic, but what the hell, you can't have everything. :D )

Anyway, I just want to thank all of you for all your hard work. You've made Alliance a far better game than it was in 1999. And the best part for me? I never got to play through all of Alliance in 1999, so I'm actually getting to play Alliance for the first time with a much better computer, much better graphics and a much better joystick than I had 18 years ago! Because of you guys, Alliance has aged exceptionally well over the years. And I get to play it as if it's brand new!

It's the little things like this that make life worth living. :D

Thanks again, guys. And I can't wait to see all the space stations (especially the XQ platforms) once they're all done. Keep up the good work!