A Couple Fighter Glitches

In here you can discuss what is going on in the project, offer help, praise or critique!

A Couple Fighter Glitches

iteachvader
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by iteachvader » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:41 am

I noticed that when playing X-wing Alliance with the new craft installed from the XWAU Craft Pack, the Planetary Fighter and the Toscan Fighter have a few glitches.

The Planetary Fighter has absolutely no laser cannons. There are supposed to be two somewhere around the tip of the nose.
The Toscan Fighter has freaking turrets for lasers when piloted by the AI, but when piloted by the player, they don't work properly.
It's quite hilarious at first thought, until you realize it renders part of the Tour of Duty unplayable.

To paint a better picture of what's going on, I uploaded this video to YouTube explaining the problem in better detail.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mW3wA1P ... e=youtu.be

I don't know how fast information spreads across this forum, so if this problem has already been addressed, please disregard EVERYTHING.
The ability to create 3D models is insignificant next to the power of the Force.

Oldcode
Rebel Alliance

Post by Oldcode » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:40 am

Try downloading and installing the individual updates for each ship affected.

Good luck,

iteachvader
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by iteachvader » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:23 am

Oldcode wrote:Try downloading and installing the individual updates for each ship affected.

Good luck,
That's the thing! I already did that, no change whatsoever. :kopfwand:
The ability to create 3D models is insignificant next to the power of the Force.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:28 pm

Fixed
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

iteachvader
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by iteachvader » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:20 pm

Darksaber wrote:Fixed
How?

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:36 am

Fixed the installer, download it again!
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

iteachvader
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by iteachvader » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:21 am

Darksaber wrote:Fixed the installer, download it again!
Ah, thanks!

Cyrix
Recruit

Post by Cyrix » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:16 am

What is the deal with the Toscan fighter? Is it supposed to have turrets? I have the XWAU Craft Pack installed, and have run the Toscan fighter installer as well, but the first mission of ToD is literally impossible because of the Toscan's turrets. They always kill my wingman within five seconds of engaging combat, and always take out all of the Cloakshapes within the first thirty seconds. I cannot even attack them, because they will always shoot down the concussion missiles with their turrets; flying straight at the Toscan long enough to fire lasers at it inevitably results in instant death. I normally play on Normal but cannot even beat this mission on Easy. The closest I've come is shooting down two of the Y-Wings and fleeing the battle completely, but that leaves the way wide open for the Gunboats...

After dozens of completely futile attempts, I gave up and turned on the invulnerability cheat - but the mission is still not completable because as soon as I engage the Toscans, their barrage of laser fire disables all of my systems, leaving me dead in space as they continue their nonstop bombardment of my useless invulnerable ship.

From reading walkthroughs I cannot believe the mission was originally this difficult. Can anyone confirm the XWAU Toscan is not balanced correctly?

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:58 pm

The Toscan doesn't have turreted guns in either the XWAU Craft Pack or stand alone installer, just tested 6 against 6 in a skirmish

NO turreted guns!
- John Lydgate

Cyrix
Recruit

Post by Cyrix » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:06 pm

Then how do you propose my Toscans, and the Toscans reported by "iteachvader" have turrets? Did you try playing Tour 5 Mission 1? I'm not saying it visually has a turret on the model, but it appears to be able to fire its primary lasers in any direction, so it functionally behaves like a turret.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:15 pm

Cyrix, try reading the whole thread, and yes I know exactly what both you and itchyvader mean by turreted guns, I think I've been around here long enough now!

I've tested Battle 5 Mission 1 and the Toscan's DID NOT fire in any direction, they fire straight!

Did you download the XWAU Craft Pack or the standalone Toscan installer again after I told Itchyfinger to download it?

Download either the problem is FIXED!
- John Lydgate

Cyrix
Recruit

Post by Cyrix » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:59 am

Oy Darksaber, try reading the whole thread. "I have the XWAU Craft Pack installed, and have run the Toscan fighter installer as well". And yes, to be clear, I downloaded and ran the Toscan installer last night, after you told iteachvader about it. The Toscans maintain their ability to fire in all directions.

I did read the whole thread, and you said you tried a skirmish, nothing about ToD 5.1.

EDIT: Oy, Darksaber, I see by the different file size and the new "Date Created: 18/03/2013" that the file I downloaded last night isn't the same file as the one currently on the server, so you forgot to replace the Toscan installer until I pointed out the issue still exists, and then tried to cover for your mistake by attacking and insulting me. Your immature behavior is very inappropriate for a moderator.

EDIT 2: Oy, Darksaber, you didn't fix the problem correctly. The Toscans still can fire in all directions.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:19 pm

Cyrix, I apologise for insulting you, it was late I was tired, yes it was immature of me your right.

Just to clarify a few things, yes the installer did have a different date stamp, I thought I fixed it when iteachvader reported it, and I did upload a newer version, but then you reported it, I took another look at the installer then asked you have you downloaed it again since iteachvader reported it. I wasn't trying to cover anything up!

I have since taken another look at the installer, I have changed the green lasers back to there original red lasers. I have play both Battle 5 Mission 1 and a skirmish with the changed Toscan's 3 or 4 times now and as far as I can see the lasers no long fire in all directions.

I have fixed both the standalone Toscan installer and XWAU Craft Pack.

I would advise that you download the craft pack, uninstall your previous version of the craft pack and reinstall, there should be no need to install the stand alone Toscan installer, follow this and you should be ok.

At the moment the dispute with the Toscan's Lasers just seems to be between us two, until someone else can clarify that the lasers are ok and not firing in all directions, there is nothing else I can do, for me the laser's seem to be ok.

Again my apologises
DS
- John Lydgate

Cyrix
Recruit

Post by Cyrix » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:32 pm

Thanks for the apology and trying to help. I uninstalled the XWAU craft pack and installed the brand new one but the Toscans are still shooting green lasers in all directions. I tried taking a screenshot but the image in the clipboard is all black; I don't know if there is another way to take a screenshot or I need to install FRAPS. Is this something I could edit in the shiplist.txt or is it embedded in the model files?

I installed the craft pack over vanilla XWA 2.02 so I don't understand why this problem would be happening :-/

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:17 pm

The Toscans are firing green lasers? Strange because I changed them back to there original Red lasers???? weird they should be firing green

Try a quick skirmish with the Toscan as your craft and anything else as the otherside, tell me if the Toscan in your craft fires red lasers or not.

Also look in your flightmodels folder and tell me the datestamps of the ToscanFighter.opt and the ToscanFighterExterior.opt please

Plus the datestamp of the XwingAlliance.exe

Screenshots, hmm I thought it was ctrl + printscreen

There is nothing you should have to edit, the installer does it all for you
- John Lydgate

Cyrix
Recruit

Post by Cyrix » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:15 pm

Hmm... In Skirmish, my Toscan fires green lasers. It also fires the lasers and ion cannons in the same group. It ignores the weapon settings I have selected entirely - the first and second shots fire a pair of lasers each, and the third and fourth shots fire a laser and an ion together.

The OPTs say they were modified November 7, 2011. To show other craft installed correctly, the new system patrol craft is dated March 10th, 2013. The XwingAlliance.exe is dated today, when I installed it.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but my XWA is installed on my third hard drive rather than on the C drive. Since everything else appears to have installed correctly I don't think that's the issue.

It's a little hard to tell in this screenshot, but you can sort of see I am firing green lasers. The laser in the upper right was just fired by the enemy Toscan, although it is clearly facing the opposite direction.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:34 pm

Oh dear, my apologies again, when I uploaded the newer version of the craft pack I forgot to included the updated Toscan opts with the red lasers

The opts you have for the Toscan have the wrong datestamp, the base and exterior should both say 19th March 2013

Could you please download the craft pack again and reinstall, (I know I'm messing you about with this) :(

And no it doesn't make a difference where you have installed XWA
- John Lydgate

Cyrix
Recruit

Post by Cyrix » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:57 am

That fixed it, thanks! The mission is a piece of cake now.

Again, thanks for fixing the bug, I glad I didn't have to skip the mission. Happy piloting!