XWA Upgrade for GoG digital copy

In here you can discuss what is going on in the project, offer help, praise or critique!

XWA Upgrade for GoG digital copy

lpstanton
Recruit

Post by lpstanton » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:39 pm

Does anyone know if there is a plan to release the XWA upgrade installer that's compatible with the recently released GoG digital copy of XWA? Or if not any way to get the current installer to work as you don't get the discs with a digital copy!

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:21 pm

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

wordwildwebb
Recruit

Post by wordwildwebb » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:54 pm

For what it is worth, the mods work great with the new GoG copy, you just have to install them one at a time.

Very happy as the original was running very spotty on my 64bit Win7 system. I got lost for hours last night playing.

Rogerborg
Recruit

Post by Rogerborg » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:26 am

First and foremost: thank you for your years of work on XWA Upgrade. The GOG release has got me playing it again and to my delight, I find that it's still a superb game which I very much look forward to enjoying even more with the Upgrade visuals.

I installed the backgrounds pack successfully, and the individual ship installers. However, on "Mission 4: Sticking it to the Viraxos: Covert Delivery", the platform and Razor fighters didn't spawn and the mission couldn't be completed.

I also got frequent but non-reproducible crashes on trying to go to the hangar, which were solved by just restarting XWA and trying again.

I mention this just in passing, as there's little sense in reporting specific issues until there's a full craft pack install for the GOG release.

May I very respectfully suggest in the interim that adding a note to the download page to make it clear that the current craft pack will not work with the GOG version will save a fair amount of both frustration and bandwidth.

Lastly and even more foremostly: thank you again for keeping XWA fresh. The modelling work is truly beautiful.

Tony Knightcrawler
Commander

Post by Tony Knightcrawler » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:47 am

XWA had a patch originally, which was mainly there to fix a few broken missions. I haven't downloaded my GOG version yet, but if they didn't apply the patch ahead of time, that might have caused the problem with MIssion 4. All of use have the patch, and can provide it to GOG if they need it (if that's the issue).

Rogerborg
Recruit

Post by Rogerborg » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:33 am

I've experienced no problems playing the GOG version either vanilla or with just the backgrounds pack. It was only with the individual craft installed that I saw issues. Given the time it takes to download and install them, I'm minded to wait for a GOG compatible craft pack before doing a methodical investigation.

priest81
Recruit

Post by priest81 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:24 am

Are there any plans to setup textures for the X-wing 98 and Tie-Fighter games, since they run on the XvT platform? I would love to have the option of the updated screens and 'look', plus the modern shaders and textures without having to clone XWA three times.

Tony Knightcrawler
Commander

Post by Tony Knightcrawler » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:35 am

XWA is more recent than XvT. Even if you get the models in there, the shaders in XWA are better so it still won't look quite as good. And even if all the models worked fine, and you somehow fixed the resolution to widescreen aspect ratio, at the very least the cockpits would be stretched. People have tried to put XWAU ships in XvT, with mixed success. It's an old topic, buried somewhere on the boards.