XWAU Craft Pack now compatible with GoG Version of XWA

In here you can discuss what is going on in the project, offer help, praise or critique!

Re: XWAU Craft Pack now compatible with GoG Version of XWA

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:41 pm

I guess there is no way to ask GOG about these modifications ?
Rookie One, is that you?? - Ru Merleen, Rebel Spy at Imdaar Alpha
Current Holder of the Frying Pan of Death

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:47 pm

no cause this has nothing to do with them :(

The only thing that will concern them is the update Jeremy is making to xwa_ddraw_d3d11 which it included in there xwa installer
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

Del-Dredd
Recruit

Post by Del-Dredd » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:22 pm

I think Rookie_One1 probably meant the alterations they have done to the games files which are causing the issue with the upgrade pack which was not present with the original disk version I assume.

ShadowOwl
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by ShadowOwl » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:33 pm

Darksaber wrote:The only thing that will concern them is the update Jeremy is making to xwa_ddraw_d3d11 which it included in there xwa installer
What about these issues:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11254
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11252

Are you perfectly sure that these aren't related to the Craft Pack in some way? Maybe we should do some further testing before you recompile the pack once again.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:00 pm

That's what I've been doing testing, :) hopefully, fingers crossed I've fixed the crashing, but only time will tell, on my system they may not crash but on someone else's system it may crash, *shrugs shoulders*.

It's only with this new interest in the game due to GOG, that we are getting more people to play test the missions, that only now we are finding faults, our own testers disappeared or went on to other things many moons ago, so the only testers have been a few people still interested in the game, and my testing only goes as far as flying the craft in skirmish, if it flew in that ok it got put in the installer. It's basically due to the lack of interest in the game that craft haven't been tested thoroughly.

All we can do in apologise for that :(
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

ShadowOwl
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by ShadowOwl » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:57 pm

Darksaber wrote:It's only with this new interest in the game due to GOG, that we are getting more people to play test the missions, that only now we are finding faults, our own testers disappeared or went on to other things many moons ago, so the only testers have been a few people still interested in the game, and my testing only goes as far as flying the craft in skirmish, if it flew in that ok it got put in the installer. It's basically due to the lack of interest in the game that craft haven't been tested thoroughly.

All we can do in apologise for that :(
No need to apologize. :) Overall, the GOG release of XWA (and the rest of the series) is the best thing that could happen for the community.

Ol
Rebel Alliance

Post by Ol » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:36 pm

If anyone finds problems with missions caused by the XWAU ships being different sizes to the original opts please post them and I'll see if I can take a look. No promises mind you, but I'll do my best :)

Del-Dredd
Recruit

Post by Del-Dredd » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:04 pm

Nice of you to offer, when the updated pack is back up and I install it, I will look out for any.

I uninstalled the last 1.1 as others had issues, had to re install game as well, it would not start Mission 4 for some reason just locked up when you clicked go to hangar.

Working Fine in Vanilla with XWAhack to 1920X1080 currently.

LtGrandMaster
Cadet 4th Class

Post by LtGrandMaster » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:31 pm

Thanks for the hard work guys, I've been using your stuff for years, I really appreciate all the hard work.

KUrbz
Recruit

Post by KUrbz » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:30 am

Hi,
this looks super, cant wait to play again with the upgrades.

I am using a standard version of XWA, not the GOG version.
Can i download the full pack upgrades for this version, cant seem to find them anywhere.
keep up the great work!

K
Last edited by KUrbz on Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:06 pm

so how things are going ?
Rookie One, is that you?? - Ru Merleen, Rebel Spy at Imdaar Alpha
Current Holder of the Frying Pan of Death

AstroMat1
Recruit

Post by AstroMat1 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:21 pm

Evening gents...been awhile since I posted

So, to recap....if I download and install from this site the individual craft here, they should work with the GOG version correct? Just the craft packs that cannot work correct?
AstroMat1<BR>aka AstroMat1<P>Sound GURU for a variety of fun-loving games!

Shredda
Recruit

Post by Shredda » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:04 am

Ok,
I've been playing XWAU a long time, but couldn't as of late due to graphics card compatibility issues. I'm sure all are familiar. I'd never posted to this forum before, but with the recent GOG release of X Wing Alliance, my purchase of it, and inevitable "glee" at finding that OMG IT RUNS AND ON MY MACHINE!!! I'm excited to play the game again.
Of course my FIRST thought was; "hmmm, now to go to XWAU to get all of the glorious HD ship upgrades and patches, and play this thing right!!" I'm a bit confused though. Is the Craft Pack ready for the GOG version? I saw the post: "XWAU Craft Pack now compatible with GoG Version of XWA" by Forceflow posted Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:49 am, but when I follow the link it's dead. That's ok, no rushing good work, but I'm just not sure if it's done or not. Am I just following a dead link, or is it still a work in progress?

Great work everybody, anxious to play ;)

DTM
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by DTM » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:34 am

The patch is offline because of some minor fixes needed. It's ok, but we need only few days for testing...it will be back online soon!

Untitled
Recruit

Post by Untitled » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:40 am

Sounds great! I found this page after I read about the gog release. XWA was one of my favourite games in my childhood and I bought a new Joystick just to play the game again (since when we don't have gameports anymore?!). I'm wating patiently for your Craft Pack and check in the forum every day ;-)

I love your great work (by the pictures I have seen so far) and I'm thankful that modding is not dead (since nobody of the gaming companies seem to care nowadys). Big thanks to everybody who is involved in this project!

Shredda
Recruit

Post by Shredda » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:23 pm

Thanks!

Love this site!

CrisGer
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by CrisGer » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:47 pm

Excellent news. I worked very hard to get GOG to do the SW games and i am glad that has happened finally. It will be a good chance for ppl to revisit or to visit for the first time the amazing series.

Several Questions when you have a sec, i had issues with 1.1 and had just hoped to get the basic features of 1.0 ..i have all of the files from before. Will 1.0 installer work? i don't need the hangar alternatives or backdrops tho those will be nice. I was able to get my disk copies to run on my Win 98SE test system but had the spin problem that occurred with some joy sticks, and my graphics card on my main XP system didn't allow the game to work.

I am still testing and playing on XP and don't need resolution upgrades, will those features interfer with the patch running on my system when fixed?

thanks a lot for your amazing work, these models are wonderful.

Can we simple insert the improved models one by one if we wish? That might be the best basic template, in case of compat issues. thanks

UPDATE: i went thru the detailed installer notes and saw this:

DirectX 11

as i am running XP SP3 i wont have that..is there a work around? or can i install the older version instead? i do NOT intend to cross over to Vista or beyond, as i test, study and make mods and resources for too many older games that run just fine in XP. thanks.

I think the testing notes said you tested the new patch for GOG in XP but...according to the data I know re Direct X 9.0c, X10 and X 11...
Will DirectX 10 be available for Windows XP? No
No. Windows Vista, which has DirectX 10, includes an updated DirectX runtime based on the runtime in Windows XP SP2 (DirectX 9.0c) with changes to work with the new Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM) and the new audio driver stack, and with other updates in the operating system. In addition to Direct3D 9, Windows Vista supports two new interfaces when the correct video hardware and drivers are present: Direct3D9Ex and Direct3D10.

Since these new interfaces rely on the WDDM technology, they will never be available on earlier versions of Windows. All the other changes made to DirectX technologies for Windows Vista are also specific to the new version of Windows. The name DirectX 10 is misleading in that many technologies shipping in the DirectX SDK (XACT, XINPUT, D3DX) are not encompassed by this version number. So, referring to the version number of the DirectX runtime as a whole has lost much of its meaning, even for 9.0c. The DirectX Diagnostic Tool (DXdiag.exe) on Windows Vista does report DirectX 10, but this really only refers to Direct3D 10.

Will DirectX 11 be available for Windows Vista or Windows XP? No
DirectX 11 is built into Windows 7, and it is available as an update for Windows Vista (see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=160189). This includes the Direct3D 11 API, DirectX Graphics Infrastructure (DXGI) 1.1, 10Level9 feature levels, Windows Advanced Rasterization Platform (WARP) 10 software rendering device, Direct2D, DirectWrite, and an update to the Direct3D 10.1 API to support 10Level9 and WARP 10.For the same reasons noted in the preceding question (Will DirectX 10 be available for Windows XP?), Direct3D 11 and related APIs are not available on Windows XP.
Director and Lead Admin
3D World and Game Developers Group LInkedin
"We Build Worlds"

Trevor
Lieutenant JG

Post by Trevor » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:45 pm

Yeah the DirectX11 thing could be cause for concern on Pre Vista OS's.
You would need to remove DirectDraw.dll (made by Jeremy) from the root XWA directory for it to revert back to D3D6.

It would be nice for D3D9 support with blur, burnout etc like this project [http://enbdev.com/index_en.html]
I have it for Deltaforce Blackhawk Down and its very nice.

I did link to version 1.01.11 untill they fixed and uploaded 1.1 but it was taken down imediatly and with no trace of its existance. So you will just have to wait.

Trev

CrisGer
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by CrisGer » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:13 pm

Thanks Trev, i may have a copy of 1.01.11 in my files and archives i have followed this project from the early days but will have to dig for it. I hope to work this out, as I really would love to see this project prosper and not everyone is using Vista or newer or wants to.
Director and Lead Admin
3D World and Game Developers Group LInkedin
"We Build Worlds"

Avarice1987
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Avarice1987 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:12 pm

Hy there:

What is the GOG Version of X Wing allaince? Is it a newer VErsion of the Game?

Sorry for Ask i was not online in the new year!

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:22 pm

Avarice1987 wrote:Hy there:

What is the GOG Version of X Wing allaince? Is it a newer VErsion of the Game?

Sorry for Ask i was not online in the new year!
GOG (or Good Old Games) is a website that sells a lot of old classic games updated to be compatible with modern operating systems and with no DRM. They just recently released a version of XWA that is a lot easier to install and no longer requires the CDs to play the game. Brought quite a bit of fresh new blood to the game.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

bbpresident
Recruit

Post by bbpresident » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:12 pm

Hi, but is the patch working with the regular CD Version of the game? I don't own GoG Version but the original one. Can I use the patch? And where can I download it then?

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:33 pm

Patience, it should be available by next weekend
- John Lydgate

Untitled
Recruit

Post by Untitled » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:18 pm

thanks for the status update! Can't wait til next weekend!

Del-Dredd
Recruit

Post by Del-Dredd » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:19 pm

Thanks for update Darksaber, but do we need to go to hospital for it. :D (Patience may be better)