An apology to JérémyaFr and Darksaber

In here you can discuss what is going on in the project, offer help, praise or critique!

An apology to JérémyaFr and Darksaber

ShadowOwl
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by ShadowOwl » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:40 pm

Just wanna tell you guys that I'm sorry for spreading false information on GOG forums.

I have wrongly assumed that the renderer by JérémyaFr was causing the resolution lock of 800 x 600 present in the GOG release of XWA, instead it was the edited EXE. I should have investigated harder instead of making fast conclusions. I have edited pretty much all the posts over there to remove this false information. :kopfwand:

So again, I'm very sorry. :gott: I really didn't want to cause any trouble!

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:08 pm

Thanks for the apology, I know my patch didn't help, but I knew it had nothing to do with Jeremy's DDraw.dll either, GOG have done something else other than to use XWA Hacker to change these values

This fix applies (Xwa Hacker patches):
  • 16 bit rendering (16bitmode.bat)
  • original Z-buffer clear (nofixedclear.bat)
  • allow choosing resolution (noforce800mode.bat)
  • check if CD is in drive
  • play briefing voice only from CD
This means that GOG.com has applied (Xwa Hacker patches):
  • 32 bit rendering (32bitmode.bat)
  • fixed Z-buffer clear (fixedclear.bat)
  • force 800x600 resolution (force800mode.bat)
  • skip check if CD is in drive
  • play briefing voice from a HD copy
It's probably the force800mod.bat that's locking the 800x600 resolution, which can probably resolved by applying the noforce800mode.bat, but apart from that there is something wrong with Skirmish, usually you drag your pilot to the craft slot, add the craft you want to fly, do the same for the AI player, and fly your skirmish, but it's not saving the settings, if you go back to the concourse then back to skirmish you have to start over again and choose a craft. I've never had to do this before and the setting have always saved.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

ShadowOwl
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by ShadowOwl » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:00 pm

Thanks for all the information.

Noticed the same problem in skirmish mode. Is there any chance to undo the changes GOG did to the skirmish mode? Somebody should try to contact them to talk about this issue.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:09 pm

lol, You seem to be the man to talk to on the GOG forums, so if you could contact them and explain the issues people are having that would be great :D
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

ShadowOwl
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by ShadowOwl » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:22 pm

Well, I have no direct ways of contacting the GOG Product team other than the general tech support. They listen quite often to this kind of issues and requests though. All I can do is to try. :)

JérémyaFr would be another option, since he must have been contacted directly by a GOG staffer for the inclusion of his renderer.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:44 pm

True Jeremy might be able to help :) but if you could try that would be great, Jeremy could be our backup/last resort guy :)
- John Lydgate

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:22 pm

Darksaber wrote:there is something wrong with Skirmish, usually you drag your pilot to the craft slot, add the craft you want to fly, do the same for the AI player, and fly your skirmish, but it's not saving the settings, if you go back to the concourse then back to skirmish you have to start over again and choose a craft. I've never had to do this before and the setting have always saved.
Maybe the file "temp\temp6753908.skm" is marked as read only.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:34 pm

Thanks for the hint

And the first thing I did was to make sure all the files wasn't marked read only, just went into the skirmish folder and the Temp folder wasn't even there, and wasn't being created, I've just had to copy the temp folder and the temp6753908.skm file from another backup I have.

Now while in skirmish mode the settings are saving.
- John Lydgate

ShadowOwl
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by ShadowOwl » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:49 am

So, I have just sent a message to GOG support with the request to have it forwarded to the product team, reporting the skirmish issue and the further work on the ddraw.dll, I'll keep you guys updated.

JeremyaFr, GOG might be contacting you again and ask you about issues present in the GOG release since I have no idea about your work on the ddraw.dll. Well, we'll see what happens...

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:21 pm

ShadowOwl wrote:I have no idea about your work on the ddraw.dll.
What ddraw.dll does is transparent.
The source code of xwa_ddraw_d3d11 is situated at https://github.com/jeremyAnsel/xwa_ddraw_d3d11.
For any question on it, just ask.

ShadowOwl
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by ShadowOwl » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:08 pm

JeremyaFr wrote:What ddraw.dll does is transparent.
The source code of xwa_ddraw_d3d11 is situated at https://github.com/jeremyAnsel/xwa_ddraw_d3d11.
For any question on it, just ask.
Thanks for the offer - but I'm not into programming at all. :) When it comes to testing stuff I will where I can. Anyway, I've got a response from GOG support, they'll be pushing out a new installer "shortly".

ShadowOwl
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by ShadowOwl » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:46 am

GOG has updated the installer (setup_sw_xwing_alliance_2.0.0.9) which includes the latest ddraw.dll by JeremyaFr. It looks like the skirmish problem has also been fixed, can anyone confirm this?

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:35 pm

Yeah they fixed the skirmish save problem

But.....

They haven't removed the Locked 800x600 resolution
- John Lydgate

ShadowOwl
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by ShadowOwl » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:49 pm

Since they have applied the resolution lock on purpose I'm not really sure if this going to be changed on their side. I don't know why they have done this nor do I know why this hack is available as part of XWA hacker. Feel free to explain it to me, I'm curious too. I have been playing XWA with mods from XWAU and using XWA Hacker before I got the release from GOG but my knowledge about the XWA community and its tools is still rather limited. So I'm not sure if I should be the one who discusses these things with the GOG staff and I still don't have a direct way to contact the product team.

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:34 pm

Under some circumstances, the game itself changes the selected resolution. Forcing a resolution is a way to prevent that. But it is needed only if it happens.