X-Wing Cockpit is taking up more screen than it should

In here you can discuss what is going on in the project, offer help, praise or critique!

X-Wing Cockpit is taking up more screen than it should

superjoust
Recruit

Post by superjoust » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:28 am

Because of GOG I just got back into X-Wing, found this site, got excited, and started installing some models.
I installed the X-Wing model, and noticed that the cockpit is up way too high (though it looks nice otherwise). I tried the A-Wing fighter and it was fine. One way to describe it is the target reticle is practically touching the cockpit.

Can I edit this? Is this a bug? I love the X-wing ship model, but I'd rather put the cockpit back to how it was before rather than have it taking up so much screen space.

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:22 am

Hi,

this is not a bug but intentional. Please see the FAQ
Q: What is wrong with the cockpits? They totally block the view! Can't you maybe even make the cockpits like they were in the original X-Wing game?
A: Our goal with the cockpits were to make them appear closer to the look and feel of the movies. Movie evidence clearly shows though, that the view in the X-Wing (and the Y-Wing) was very limited. We decided to use that in our models and will not change it back.
We cannot make the cockpits like they were in the original X-Wing game (an interactive 2D display) since that would actually require to change the game engine, so I am afraid you'll have to use what you have for now.
If you don't like them, make your own!
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:27 pm

You could get a big cushion to sit on to see over the cockpit console :)

Or....

You could go to the download section, download the X-Wing again, run it and select the Alternative Cockpit to install.

The installer still includes the default cockpit, but for all you whiny little bitches :D out there I've included an alternative cockpit, basically I've rotated the cockpit so you now have a better point of view.

Default Cockpit
flightscreen1.jpg
Alternative Cockpit
flightscreen2.jpg
The Difference
Image1.jpg
Just please NOTE this is the first and last cockpit I'll be altering,

If anyone asks to alter or change other cockpits I'll ban you! :D lol, well I might not ban you but I'll have a few choice colourful phrases to say about it :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

Forceflow

Post by Forceflow » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:44 pm

Nice work :) That is a new function, right? Can't remember having that option before. (But then it's been a long time since I installed XWA...)

Oh, I took the liberty to alter the FAQ accordingly ;)

superjoust
Recruit

Post by superjoust » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:55 pm

Excellent!!!
That rotation was exactly all I was asking for.

I won't ask for more of them since I can see you're not wanting to discuss it (I haven't even seen them all yet), but it would be great if you yourselves considered this design philosophy across the board and looked over all your cockpits with this eye. I've been a pro game designer in the industry for over 10 years, and have some familiarity with this myself. That said, it's your work, and I do respect that.

FWIW, I think it still feels authentic, just also better for gameplay.

Oldcode
Rebel Alliance

Post by Oldcode » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:14 pm

Hey Darksaber!

Thanks a lot for this. What I used to do back in the day was install the new X-Wing, but then copy over the original cockpit opt from the CD so I could see where I was going. Later, I'd bring the new cockpit into Opt tech and adjust it there myself.

This is really cool having a choice. :D

Thanks again,

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:43 pm

Forceflow wrote:Nice work :) That is a new function, right? Can't remember having that option before. (But then it's been a long time since I installed XWA...)

No, no new function, just a bit of editing in Optech.

And thank for updating the FAQ :) you could have left out the bit about the whiny little bitches lol :D
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Forceflow

Post by Forceflow » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:04 pm

Darksaber wrote:
Forceflow wrote:Nice work :) That is a new function, right? Can't remember having that option before. (But then it's been a long time since I installed XWA...)

No, no new function, just a bit of editing in Optech.

And thank for updating the FAQ :) you could have left out the bit about the whiny little bitches lol :D
Nah, I think it perfectly adds your own little personal touch to it ;)

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:28 pm

lol
- John Lydgate

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:16 pm

I agree with forceflow that it should stay, after all those who usually complain about things that are given are whiny little bitches
Rookie One, is that you?? - Ru Merleen, Rebel Spy at Imdaar Alpha
Current Holder of the Frying Pan of Death

Trevor
Lieutenant JG

Post by Trevor » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:13 pm

Agreed. I beleve in the original philosophy of sticking to the Movies, and yes, you can clearly see in the movie the visibility is limited (also seeing the elevation of the cocpit model clearly shows its correctness).

If Luke did sit on his parachute + Cushon then although you would achive the effect you have made, you would also see the nose of the craft blocking the view up to the crosshairs. (which would actually probably be yet more correct... hmm... id need to look at the elevation of the whole X-Wing)

Its the same problem Pilots of WWII had, they wouldnt see in front very well, not because of the instruments, but because of their nose and prop.
The advent of jets dropped the nose and moved the pilot forward, however clearly the X-Wing is more akin to the Spitfire with the long nose, central seated pilot.

At least landings are easyer in the X-Wing, landing in WWII aircraft raised the nose even higher into the FOV

Trev

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:25 pm

The purpose of the project was to upgrade the m odels and, where possible, align them to the way they looked in the movies. This may also include restricting the view in some cases because that's what the "original" pilots would have seen as well.

Just wait until you sit in a Y-Wing or a TIE fighter...
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

superjoust
Recruit

Post by superjoust » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:21 pm

Sounds like I better learn about this "optech" you guys are talking about. Maybe I could take a look in there lest I become a "whiner".

Speaking of OPtech and editing (this is a bit OT) I also wonder how much control there is over the explosions, do you guys know much about that? That's what I do for a living, and I can see a few straight forward improvements that might just make it nicer. I'm sure I couldn't take it to the level I usually do, but maybe I could tweak the rotation speeds, etc.